Page 1 of 2
Some advice needed

I plan to by my Son a new Guitar and i have zeroed the options down to these 2 models

Ibanez RG 1560

Or

Jackson SL2H Soloist

What is considered the better quality model?

He play's everything from Hard rock like Metallica to blues like Stevie Ray Vaughan
I know very little and I'm looking for experienced players for help.

Thanks

N_M
the Jackson SL2H is better cuz it has better pickups. the V7/V8 on the ibanez isnt that good. Build quality should be about the same.

Another guitar to consider is the ESP Horizon NT-II
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
I am a HUGE prestige fan(ask LP_CL) but in this case it is obvious that the jackson is better...

cmon 999 vs 1999 ? you dont need any advice if you can afford the jackson USA go for it...

(but id shell out some more and buy a J.custom if I were you!)
Quote by holycow
the Jackson SL2H is better cuz it has better pickups. the V7/V8 on the ibanez isnt that good. Build quality should be about the same.

Another guitar to consider is the ESP Horizon NT-II

yeah build quality is almost equal though....you get same quality from a 15xx prestige as a 35xx or 4xxx prestige....

I strongly suggest a j.custom..much better quality than USA jacksons...MIGHTY SWEET THINGS..take a look

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/shopping/goods/goods_detail.php?key=+j.custom&count=12&sort=1&id=142015

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/shopping/goods/goods_detail.php?key=+j.custom&count=12&sort=1&id=138998
unfortunately my son is a lefty and cant really get anything else in Ibanez for lefty the RG 1570 I'm looking at is old stock from 2008 as Ibanez no longer do a 1570 in lefty

Regards

N_M
Quote by Native_MetaL
unfortunately my son is a lefty and cant really get anything else in Ibanez for lefty the RG 1570 I'm looking at is old stock from 2008 as Ibanez no longer do a 1570 in lefty

Regards

N_M

Yeah OLD sock doesnt matter..I got a new rg1570 and it was also made in 2008...the '10 rgs have edge zero's which are made in china(opposed to the edge pro which is ,ade in japan) and doesnt carry the Team J craft logo so resale value will be lower in the new ones..how many years have your son being playing guitar?

well if the guitar is for your son I wouldnt reccomend a J.custom or even a USA soloist...He should earn and buy high end guitars like that..if he is just a beginner I would say like a DKMG or a LTD standard cause even prestiges are too much(they are also really high end guitars)...

dont spoil your kid
Last edited by archenemyfan at May 18, 2010,
the soloist would be perfect!
is this for a suprise birthday gift or something btw?

if he's younger and inexperienced he might have issues with the floyd rose, they are great when used well, but i've seen many "less-experienced" players failing to tune it properly.

edit: if he is just starting try finding a guitar without a floating bridge but still decent quality, anyhow... want to become my dad?

oh and btw: if you spend that mutch on a guitar please do buy him a good amp to go with it, a great guitar with a crappy amp will not sound any better then a crappy guitar!

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Last edited by numinis at May 18, 2010,
Quote by archenemyfan
...the '10 rgs have edge zero's which are made in china(opposed to the edge pro which is ,ade in japan)

are you able to explain a little here...you lost me

Normally I would absolutely agree with you 100%, but my son has suffered a major personal loss early this year and he deserves and has earned this gift 10 fold.

Regards

N_M
Quote by numinis
the soloist would be perfect!
is this for a suprise birthday gift or something btw?

if he's younger and inexperienced he might have issues with the floyd rose, they are great when used well, but i've seen many "less-experienced" players failing to tune it properly.

edit: if he is just starting try finding a guitar without a floating bridge but still decent quality, anyhow... want to become my dad?

oh and btw: if you spend that mutch on a guitar please do buy him a good amp to go with it, a great guitar with a crappy amp will not sound any better then a crappy guitar!

Hey Numinis

Yes Surprise BD gift

He has been playing for 3 years and is at an intermediate level and very keen to become a great player.

Do you have any recommendations for amps? brands that are good quality and maybe a model or 2? wish to spend about half the price of the guitar on the amp working in Australian dollars here but that means around $1000 AU as the Jackson is around the $2100 AU mark in Aust.

Regards

N_M
I'm going to say if I were given either of those guitars I'd be over the moon. If you're going on stock specs then I'd say the Jackson is a little better. However, the Ibby is significantly cheaper - a nice pickup swap and it would be my personal choice (although I love the Prestige necks).
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Quote by Hidden Hippo
I'm going to say if I were given either of those guitars I'd be over the moon. If you're going on stock specs then I'd say the Jackson is a little better. However, the Ibby is significantly cheaper - a nice pickup swap and it would be my personal choice (although I love the Prestige necks).

Hey Hidden Hippo

Yes I liked the ibanez as well as the Jackson, only small problem i see with the Ibanez is that its only available in polished black for the left hander, I can see it scratching easily from the guitar pick strumming, although not sure how bad it will look after a while.

Regards

N_M
You're in Australia? Cool.

I own a Jackson and 2 Ibby's, and I prefer the Ibby's but it has more to do with the specific guitars I own, rather than the overall brand. So yeah, out of the box that Jackson should be, in theory, a lot better than the RG1570, however if you're prepared to buy the Ibanez and get the pickups changed (humbucking pickups run around ~$190 AU each and you'd need 2, good ones that is - OR you can do what I do and buy them online for much cheaper haha). There are places that will change the pickups for you (if you're near Melbourne I'll tell you were I got mine changed) which costs around ~$100 give take a bit depending on complexity and stuff.

So, Jackson was about $2100
Ibby more like $1000 + ~$200 pups + $100 change cost = $1300 ... still much cheaper, should now be better than the Jackson, but more effort to go to (and then you have to choose your pickups haha)

There you go, my 2 cents (all theory, I have never played either of those guitars, though I have a Jackson DXMG, and 2 Ibby's like I mentioned)

Also, amp wise, I'm going to do my usual and suggest the Roland Cube for a cool home amp. They sound pretty good, have a whole heap of settings, and the new X series seems to have some added features that mine does not. I have the Cube 60, there's now a Cube80X (the 60 and 80 being wattage) and they are plenty loud for a home setting.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
u should just go with him to the guitar store and make him try out as many guitars as he can. cuz if u surprise him with a guitar, he might not like the looks, feel, colour, sound of the guitar. also the ibanez has a thin neck that not everyone is comfortable. so let him choose which guitar he wants, he'll be happier in the long run.

also like some said before, if u have a good guitar but a crap amp, it will sound crap. what amp does ur son have? split the money for a nice guitar and amp.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by Native_MetaL
are you able to explain a little here...you lost me

Normally I would absolutely agree with you 100%, but my son has suffered a major personal loss early this year and he deserves and has earned this gift 10 fold.

Regards

N_M

well thats some technical stuff regarding the hardware..I was trying to say the hardware on the 08 stuff is better(or at least according ibanez sellers in jemsite)...I am a ibanez fan(and nerd)

the only upside for jackson I would say is the pups which are much better than the v7 and v8,or else they are both of the same quality..though the neck of the ibanez is very thin..For me they are th most comfortable necks...

yeah well if your son deserves it go for the jackson because the higher the price of the guitar,the higher the price that you will pay for the amp... you can a get a good amp for 1000USD i dunno the prices in australia though..

only small problem i see with the Ibanez is that its only available in polished black for the left hander, I can see it scratching easily from the guitar pick strumming, although not sure how bad it will look after a while.

well as for pick scratches..that is inevitable in all almost all guitars..the USA or MIJ jacksons or Prestiges have a thick clear coat ,so you wouldnt have to worry that much,but pick scratches are inevitable on polyeurathane finished guitars..even if you pay 3000$

hope this helped..ask if you have any more questions..
Quote by VVolverin3
You're in Australia? Cool.

I own a Jackson and 2 Ibby's, and I prefer the Ibby's but it has more to do with the specific guitars I own, rather than the overall brand. So yeah, out of the box that Jackson should be, in theory, a lot better than the RG1570, however if you're prepared to buy the Ibanez and get the pickups changed (humbucking pickups run around ~$190 AU each and you'd need 2, good ones that is - OR you can do what I do and buy them online for much cheaper haha). There are places that will change the pickups for you (if you're near Melbourne I'll tell you were I got mine changed) which costs around ~$100 give take a bit depending on complexity and stuff.

So, Jackson was about $2100
Ibby more like $1000 + ~$200 pups + $100 change cost = $1300 ... still much cheaper, should now be better than the Jackson, but more effort to go to (and then you have to choose your pickups haha)

There you go, my 2 cents (all theory, I have never played either of those guitars, though I have a Jackson DXMG, and 2 Ibby's like I mentioned)

Also, amp wise, I'm going to do my usual and suggest the Roland Cube for a cool home amp. They sound pretty good, have a whole heap of settings, and the new X series seems to have some added features that mine does not. I have the Cube 60, there's now a Cube80X (the 60 and 80 being wattage) and they are plenty loud for a home setting.

Hey VVolverin3

Thanks for your info

Yes Melbourne as well but the price i have been quoted on the ibanez RG1570 is $1600 not $1000 wich kind of makes me lean towards the jackson... but still undecided.

Regards

N_M
Jackson for sure. I'm an Ibanez fan, but the SL2H is just a higher end model than the 1570. The 1570 is an entry level prestige. The Ibanez will require a pickup swap and is a pretty plain model. All USA Jackson's I've played have been immaculate.
Ibanez S7320
Peavey 5150 + Mesa 2x12 Rectifier
well ya the ibanez is much much cheaper and bang for your buck..with the same quality

how bout the RG3770? you get genuine dimarzios(very good pickups),a titanium truss rod for extra stability,very nice finishes and a super prestige neck which is even thinner than the neck on the 1570...BUT their is no lefty..you could always string it backwards

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG3770Z

all for 1499$
Quote by Xherion
Jackson for sure. I'm an Ibanez fan, but the SL2H is just a higher end model than the 1570. The 1570 is an entry level prestige. The Ibanez will require a pickup swap and is a pretty plain model. All USA Jackson's I've played have been immaculate.

quality wise it the same on all pretiges...even the 1000$ prestiges have the same quality as a 2500$ prestige..IT will a pickup swap though...
Quote by Native_MetaL
Hey VVolverin3

Thanks for your info

Yes Melbourne as well but the price i have been quoted on the ibanez RG1570 is $1600 not $1000 wich kind of makes me lean towards the jackson... but still undecided.

Regards

N_M

Didnt see that..thats a ridiculous price!! jackson all the way
Quote by archenemyfan
well ya the ibanez is much much cheaper and bang for your buck..with the same quality

how bout the RG3770? you get genuine dimarzios(very good pickups),a titanium truss rod for extra stability,very nice finishes and a super prestige neck which is even thinner than the neck on the 1570...BUT their is no lefty..you could always string it backwards

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG3770Z

all for 1499$

Stringing backwards is not really a solution because of the whammy bar getting in the way yes?

Regards

N_M
A 2008 RG1570 will have an Edge Pro bridge, which is a better qulaity floating double locking tremolo than the Official Floyd Rose on the Jackson, or the Edge Zero which will be on a newer Ibanez Prestige.

Pickups can be changed quite easily.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Jackson for sure. If you want Jackson USA quality on an Ibanez guitar, you'll have to go J-Custom.
The SL2H pisses all over the RG1570
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Jackson for sure. If you want Jackson USA quality on an Ibanez guitar, you'll have to go J-Custom.

really???? j.customs are better quality than USA jacksons without doubt....

J.custom pisses all over sl2h

here we go again
I have yet to play a USA Jackson (and I've played plenty) that I have liked more than some of the Ibanez Prestige or J-Custom guitars I have played. The build quality of the USA Jacksons seemed similar to the Ibanez Prestiges to me, and less than the J-Customs.
Quote by archenemyfan
really???? j.customs are better quality than USA jacksons without doubt....

J.custom pisses all over sl2h

here we go again

Well, they are not to me...

Quote by Prophet of Page
I have yet to play a USA Jackson (and I've played plenty) that I have liked more than some of the Ibanez Prestige or J-Custom guitars I have played. The build quality of the USA Jacksons seemed similar to the Ibanez Prestiges to me, and less than the J-Customs.

And HELL no, the Prestiges are at most on par with the MIJ Jacksons.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at May 18, 2010,
Quote by LP_CL
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jackson USA
ESP
EB Music Man
Orange
Diezel
Peavey
Marshall

Biased much?
I'd say let your son try out lots of guitars himself. Might ruin the surprise for him but im sure that's what he'd rather do.
Quote by Jackamedmos
Biased much?
I'd say let your son try out lots of guitars himself. Might ruin the surprise for him but im sure that's what he'd rather do.

Yeah,that was what I was thinking too...A good prestige can go up 2500$ and thats more expensive than any USA jacksons and you are telling that prestiges are as same quality as MIJ jacksons??Prestiges are quality wise better than MIJ jacksons and thats it...

Quote by LP_CL

I was really pissed off when you said the jackson pisses the rg1570..thats a very stupid and unfair statement to make.You're very much baised towards jackson and hates Ibanez..as I saw in the Ibanez vs jackson etc. etc. threads..I honestly like archenemyfan,even though he admitted that he is a ibanez lover but he calmy and clearly explained why the jackson is a better offer and you just went on to say that jackson PISSES the ibanez??how old are you?

if someone ask which is better a js30rr or a rg1570 you opinion would be the jackson pisses of the rg..totally biased ..be respectful when you talk

Ibanez prestiges are much much Better than MIJ jacksons..I will explain if you need an explanation
Last edited by deathmetallist3 at May 18, 2010,
Quote by LP_CL
And HELL no, the Prestiges are at most on par with the MIJ Jacksons.

Explain how, really, I'm stumped on this one.

Stock pickups are a non-issue for me, they're going to be replaced in almost any guitar I would buy.

Ibanez had superior hardware until the standardisation of the Edge Zero (which is still certainly on par with an OFR).

Fretwork was no better on the USA Jacksons I've played than the Ibanez Prestiges.

Neck profile is a matter of preference. Tbh, I'm not much a fan of the Ibanez Wizard neck profile, nor am I much a fan of Jackson necks either.

A fancy flamed or quilted top has nothing to do with the overall quality of a guitar.

A bolted neck is in no way lower quality than neck through construction.

Most Jackson necks are one piece quartersawn maple. Ibanez use three pieces of quartersawn maple glued so the grains oppose eachother, to reduce the risk of warpage. Both are perfectly valid ways of constructing a neck. I've never seen a Prestige neck where the fit was less than excellent.

Most Ibanez guitars are 2 piece basswood. Most Jackson guitars are 2 piece alder or 2 piece mahogony. Neither alder or mahogony is "better" than basswood.

Jackson finishes did seem better than the Ibanez finishes. Still, finish is cosmetic, and doesn't make for a better guitar.

What am I missing?
tom and there are also flamed maple tops and mahogany bodied prestiges too

Rg 4570z
S 5470F
Sv 5470F
the new RGA(damn that is one beautiful guitar..)

and they have these caparison-esque darkspace and carribean blue which are absolutely beautiful
For that price difference, I would go with the Jackson. My first guitar was a midrange Jackson that was alright, which I upgraded to an Ibanez RG550 Reissue which is a top of the line guitar, but for the price they are asking for the Ibanez in AU I would go with the Jackson. Either way you're getting him a great instrument. For an amp I would recommend something along the lines of a Peavey JSX to go along with it. Can't really go wrong with that and there's even a sale right now on Musicians Friend (not sure if they do international sales well) that includes a cab. Check it all out though for sure. That's really awesome of you to do.
Quote by PerpetualBurn
For that price difference, I would go with the Jackson. My first guitar was a midrange Jackson that was alright, which I upgraded to an Ibanez RG550 Reissue which is a top of the line guitar, but for the price they are asking for the Ibanez in AU I would go with the Jackson. Either way you're getting him a great instrument. For an amp I would recommend something along the lines of a Peavey JSX to go along with it. Can't really go wrong with that and there's even a sale right now on Musicians Friend (not sure if they do international sales well) that includes a cab. Check it all out though for sure. That's really awesome of you to do.

Rg550 is not top of the line..it is not a prestige so it doesnt have prestige finishing standards.......but the price is really unfair for the rg1570...I agree with that
Quote by deathmetallist3
Rg550 is not top of the line..it is not a prestige so it doesnt have prestige finishing standards.......but the price is really unfair for the rg1570...I agree with that

The RG550 was a Japanese made Ibanez, before the "Prestige" guitars began. Most would say that an RG550 is everybit as good as the current Japanese RGs (if not better), with the possible exception of the J-Customs.
I owned an RG570, and like Prophet said, it's a pre prestige model that is considdered by most Ibanez lovers as BETTER as the prestige series. I played more than 20 Prestige guitars, I played 7 J-Customs, I owned 4 MIJ Jacksons, I owned 3 USA Jacksons, I played 11 MIJ Jackson, I played 9 USA JAcksons, I played 4 CS Jacksons. I know what I'm talking about, I'm tired of explaining why I think Ibanez guitars are hugely overrated. I know the truth for myself, it's up to you if you want to believe it or not. I'm done with the whole Ibanez praising into heaven attitude of UG. Ibanez makes good guitars, true, but not as true as UG wants it to be.

I'm out.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at May 18, 2010,
Quote by LP_CL
I owned an R

You mean a Radius? Something like this?

I've played a few, all stunning guitars.
Quote by Prophet of Page
You mean a Radius? Something like this?

I've played a few, all stunning guitars.

No, i was typing and suddenly my post was posted...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
No, i was typing and suddenly my post was posted...

Ok.

Honestly, I'm curious. You can send me your reasons via PM if you like so that nobody debates you.

I've been told that Prestige quality has dropped pretty severly in the last two years, and I really haven't played enough recent Prestiges to comment.
Quote by LP_CL
I owned an RG570, and like Prophet said, it's a pre prestige model that is considdered by most Ibanez lovers as BETTER as the prestige series. I played more than 20 Prestige guitars, I played 7 J-Customs, I owned 4 MIJ Jacksons, I owned 3 USA Jacksons, I played 11 MIJ Jackson, I played 9 USA JAcksons, I played 4 CS Jacksons. I know what I'm talking about, I'm tired of explaining why I think Ibanez guitars are hugely overrated. I know the truth for myself, it's up to you if you want to believe it or not. I'm done with the whole Ibanez praising into heaven attitude of UG. Ibanez makes good guitars, true, but not as true as UG wants it to be.

I'm out.

Yeah..I agree with you even though I am a die hard ibanez Fan..Ibanez is severly dropping quality wise from beginning of the last two years..I can tell difference between the pre 2004 prestiges I have and the new 2010 Rg's I have played..

I say that the lower prestiges are as same as the MIJ jacksons and the higher and more expensive are as same as the USA ones...j.customs are a little better IMO

and people saying that the rg1570 is as good as the MIUSA jackson is really really biased I will tell...999$ vs 1999$ man what you think is better in 999$ guitar?do you think they charge 1000 bucks extra for nothing?If you think so yeah ibanez is HUGELY overrated....

and quality wise..it is not a very big issue..the finish of the fret board edge and fret ends are not so good as the 2008 and 2008 pre prestiges,even though thats a quality drop..

dude I go with you completely on this one the MIUSA jackson is better than rg1570..coming from a ibanez fan
Last edited by archenemyfan at May 19, 2010,
Quote by Prophet of Page
The RG550 was a Japanese made Ibanez, before the "Prestige" guitars began. Most would say that an RG550 is everybit as good as the current Japanese RGs (if not better), with the possible exception of the J-Customs.

I think he is talking about the reissue version..and that is not good as the prestiges..

From what heard in jemsite,the prestige neck finishing is better than even in the original rg550 but i havent played so I cant be sure
Quote by archenemyfan
Yeah..I agree with you even though I am a die hard ibanez Fan..Ibanez is severly dropping quality wise from beginning of the last two years..I can tell difference between the pre 2004 prestiges I have and the new 2010 Rg's I have played..

I say that the lower prestiges are as same as the MIJ jacksons and the higher and more expensive are as same as the USA ones...j.customs are a little better IMO

and people saying that the rg1570 is as good as the MIUSA jackson is really really biased I will tell...999$ vs 1999$ man what you think is better in 999$ guitar?do you think they charge 1000 bucks extra for nothing?If you think so yeah ibanez is HUGELY overrated....

and quality wise..it is not a very big issue..the finish of the fret board edge and fret ends are not so good as the 2008 and 2008 pre prestiges,even though thats a quality drop..

dude I go with you completely on this one the MIUSA jackson is better than rg1570..coming from a ibanez fan

They're made in different countries and they have different goals with their lines. MIJ Jackson is supposed to be worse than their top line, Jackson USA. Ibanez Prestige is their top line so they're not cutting corners or shortchanging you in any way. They don't care about keeping the price low because they have the regular Ibanez line if you're on a budget. They want to give you the best possible guitar. Ibanez is a Japanese company so they're top lines come from Japan. Jackson is an American company so their top lines comes from the US. Japanese Jacksons only exist for people who can't afford USA Jacksons. I haven't played a Japanese Jackson that was close to a Japanese company's MIJ models (Ibanez Prestige, ESP Standard) yet they're in the same price range. Japanese guitars are cheaper because of where they're made. At one point, you could get a J. Custom for cheaper than a Jackson USA. Is the Jackson USA better because it's more expensive?
Page 1 of 2