MIM strat that is... they're so cheap, are most of them lemons? What exactly is quality about the guitar? I may buy one if I can do D standard/C standard melodic death metal on it... they're just so damned gorgeous! If I can find a reasonably good condition one around 200, that is.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Warrior WRXT *FS/FT*
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Part of UG's 7 STRING LEGION
Eh you can try but I would guess they are geared more towards lighter stuff. Maybe swap out the pickups and put two humbuckers in there instead of the single coils for a harder sound?
if you could replace the single coils for humbuckers i dont see a problem.Im pretty sure Seymour duncan do them cant remember what they are called though
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Any guitar is good for anything, I play metal on my MIM strat and I love the tone Iget out of it.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Any guitar is good for anything, I play metal on my MIM strat and I love the tone Iget out of it.

+1 this man is 100% correct

you can play anything on any guitar, it's just some guitars do it better than others. Yes a strat can do metal, however an esp/schecter/ibanez/whatever can do it better.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Maybe there are "faster" neck's than a strat's. I think it's a matter of getting used to it anyway.. but yeah, put some HH and you should be fine?

I mean slipknot uses a Fender if I recall correctly.. and if you want a real band, Iron Maiden does too.
Quote by haceteunosmates
Maybe there are "faster" neck's than a strat's. I think it's a matter of getting used to it anyway.. but yeah, put some HH and you should be fine?

I mean slipknot uses a Fender if I recall correctly.. and if you want a real band, Iron Maiden does too.

I think only Dave Murry from Maiden uses a Fender, Smith uses a Jackson and I have no idea what Gers uses.

Slipknot uses custom made Fenders with expensive parts which aren't used in Mexican strats because the mexican strats are the cheaper strat with ceramic pick ups compared to the other ones.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
james root has a custom tele which has dual emg 81's in it if i remember right, i am not sure if the neck is smaller, but i have a feeling it would be.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Agreed, I'm not sure about the neck because I haven't actually seen the guitar in the flesh.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by aradine
james root has a custom tele which has dual emg 81's in it if i remember right, i am not sure if the neck is smaller, but i have a feeling it would be.

emg 81 and 60 and he has a strat with the same pickups.
if you're talking an HSS pup set up then sure you may need better pickups but it should work. if you mean an SSS set up then probably not the best choice. while i'm a firm believer that a strat can play many styles of metal, death metal and the like with really low tunings just doesn't work well with single coil pups or even hot rails type pups. they just don't have the bass response needed to do the style justice. as mentioned before you can play any style withany guitar but some are just better suited than others.
Quote by monwobobbo
if you're talking an HSS pup set up then sure you may need better pickups but it should work. if you mean an SSS set up then probably not the best choice. while i'm a firm believer that a strat can play many styles of metal, death metal and the like with really low tunings just doesn't work well with single coil pups or even hot rails type pups. they just don't have the bass response needed to do the style justice. as mentioned before you can play any style withany guitar but some are just better suited than others.

Agreed, definitely go with the HSS setup at least.
Heres my 04 MIM strat

Replaced the electronics, killswitch and coil split added, new pickguard, hacksawed in a GFS power rail, heavy strings, blocked the trem tuned to C standard.

Its br00tal i assure you.
Last edited by beckyjc at May 18, 2010,
Quote by ReinventingEvil
MIM strat that is... they're so cheap, are most of them lemons? What exactly is quality about the guitar? I may buy one if I can do D standard/C standard melodic death metal on it... they're just so damned gorgeous! If I can find a reasonably good condition one around 200, that is.

Be fine for metal as long as you replace the weak single coil in the bridge with at least a moderat output humbucker. Absolutely nothing about the body/neck/bridge that's holding a MIM back from playing ANY sort of music. Stock, the pickups simply aren't voiced for metal. The good thing about a Strat is that it's so damn easy just to drop another pickguard loaded with just about anything into it.
Quote by aradine
+1 this man is 100% correct

you can play anything on any guitar, it's just some guitars do it better than others. Yes a strat can do metal, however an esp/schecter/ibanez/whatever can do it better.

how much better? like sound better?
I use my MIM Tele for a lot of heavy stuff. It does it very well but I've put a humbucker in the bridge.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Nothing wrong with playing metal on a Strat. You do not need guitar X to play any style of music.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Of course you can play Metal on a MIM Strat. I have one and have been using it for the last 3 1/2 years, so hell yeah.
Get a MIM and then put two dimebuckers in there,

then run it through a fender practice amp with a DS1 and MT2 = brutal metal tone.

DO IT!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Dude you can play metal even with single coils, I've done it pretty often, sounds interesting and cool. Listen to Wintersun...
I was watching the video for Judas Priest's "You got another thing coming" and both Glenn & KK were playings strats.

Dave & Janick from Maiden, Gary (?) from Exodus, Kirk Hammett used a Fernandes strat in the 80s.

You don't need a pointy guitar with EMGs to play metal
Just put in a stacked mini humbucker (I think that is what they are called). Basically, a humbucker in a single-coil size.
MIM's only has 21 frets.

Just adding it in there.
Gear
Fender Hotrod Deville 2x12
Fender MIM Strat | Epi Dot 335
Fulltone '69 mkii | Boss OD-1
'95 RAT2 | '78 IC Big Muff | DL4
Quote by beckyjc
Heres my 04 MIM strat

Replaced the electronics, killswitch and coil split added, new pickguard, hacksawed in a GFS power rail, heavy strings, blocked the trem tuned to C standard.

Its br00tal i assure you.

+1

Check out mine? Duncan TB11. What kinda brootalz you want?

It's suitable for any genre of music, i replaced the pups with SD hotrails and it sounds amazing