How can you tell what the output of a pickup is if you don't have the spec sheet to tell you?

As you can probably tell, I don't know nada about electronics.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
so I'm guessing this must be really difficult or really obvious...any ideas?
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
ok, that sounds pretty easy -thanks
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
There's what the guy said above, which is called Resistance, measured in Kilo-ohms, and often abbreviated to K.. The higher the resistance, the higher the ouput (and also, the warmer sounding the pickup).....for example

Your average Fender Mustang has a pickup of 5.5K Ohms Resistance, that's one reason they sound thin...

By contrast, your average Metal Monster Ibanez has a 14K Ohm pickup in it, so it sounds thicker.

Also, I sometimes see how many milivolts/volts my pickups put out, and have thought about testing amperage as well. Pickups are basically electro-magnetic generators, and the stronger the magnet, and more windings, the higher the power. I use Volts for EMG pickups, since high output models like the 81 are capable of throwing more than a volt out.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by yoyodunno
You can use a multimeter. Plug in a guitar cable to your guitar, set the multimeter to ohms(resistance) and put one lead on the tip and one lead on the shaft(lol).

That will only measure the coil resistance, which is only very loosely related to pickup output.

There isn't really a good measure of pickup output at all, even on the spec sheets most companies have of their products.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Yeah it always gives me a pretty accurate reading of what the company puts down as the spec. But, yeah I guess it's not necessarily a good measure of actual pickup output, but it's a decent reference to use.
What you want to measure as far as output goes is the voltage, not the resistance.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com