Is resting my pinky on the body of the guitar going to slow down my speed? or technique? I seen Yngie do this a lot I was just wondering...
its called anchoring and some people see it as a bad habit because your palm tends to hit the other strings and make extra noise. but if you are confident with your playing ability and can control the pressure of your palm and accuracy of your strumming i dont see it as a bad habit but a comfortable way to play. i anchor when im alternate picking just because it keeps my hand more stable, but if you are playing riffs with a lot of down-picking or chugging then i wouldn't recommend anchoring. use it if you feel comfortable with it. but dont sacrifice playing ability for comfort.
Quote by nonameforme
its called anchoring and some people see it as a bad habit because your palm tends to hit the other strings and make extra noise. but if you are confident with your playing ability and can control the pressure of your palm and accuracy of your strumming i dont see it as a bad habit but a comfortable way to play. i anchor when im alternate picking just because it keeps my hand more stable, but if you are playing riffs with a lot of down-picking or chugging then i wouldn't recommend anchoring. use it if you feel comfortable with it. but dont sacrifice playing ability for comfort.

yeah I use it whenever I alternate pick fast or economy pick fast especially arepeggios. (not using sweep picking)
It's not a GOOD habit, but not necessarily a bad one. Like the other guy said, if you are comfortable with your ability to play, then do whatever you want.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
I used to anchor my hand and trust me. It is a bad habit. While you can still play lead, it eliminates the possiblity of you ever playing downpicking mixed with alternate. Also if you anchor you will notice a very significant different in difficulty when playing on lower or higher strings. This is because with your hand anchored, you have to actually change the direction of the pick in order to keep the anchorage. I used to anchor and it was a very horrible experience watching all my clean playing go down the drain, but after a short (in terms of guitar practice) month I could do everything I could with my anchored style AND I could play more cleanly.

ALSO! Do not mix up palm muting with anchoring. Yngwie Malmsteen does NOT anchor is wrist as seen in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK0rvReE-4c

Another misconceived guitarist is Paul Gilbert. Many people thinks he anchors because of the position of his hand but if you look, you can clearly see that the thumb-side of his right hand is NOT touching the guitar!!.

And don't go too extreme so your picking ends up like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVdyHs_IX1I It may work for him but it won't work for you
Quote by Guitar Sushi
Yngwie Malmsteen does NOT anchor is wrist as seen in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK0rvReE-4c

Actually, Yngwie is one of the best examples of how somebody who isn't anchoring can look like they are anchoring. Yngwie's hands are quite big, so it would be very difficult for him to stop his fingers touching the guitar completely. Not only that, but he keeps his pinky in quite close the the volume knob, which he uses a lot, and quite subtley. Also, it's quite hard to dampen the high E of a Stratocaster (or indeed any guitar with shorter radius) while playing the lower strings, so Yngwie uses his pinky, and sometimes his ring finger, to dampen the high strings.

Eric Johnson's picking hand is much the same, actually.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Yngwie really doesn't anchor, as Tom suggested.

Bottom line: Are you keeping your finger fixed to a point on the guitar in order to play? If so, you're anchoring, and if not, you...aren't.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Anchoring questions......

If your hand is on the guitar you are anchoring.

Is it a bad thing. No.

Do people play by anchoring. Yes.
Do people play by not anchoring. Yes.

As long as your not putting yourself in discomfort or pain it shouldn't matter.
I do it and there is nothing wrong. Many great guitarists do it too, including insanely fast shredders.
Quote by Poglia
I do it and there is nothing wrong. Many great guitarists do it too, including insanely fast shredders.

Which ones?
Quote by Guitar Sushi
Which ones?
Pretty much all of them. Not pinky, but edge of hand.
Last edited by steve108819 at May 19, 2010,
Quote by steve108819
Pretty much all of them. Not pinky, but edge of hand.

You obviously do not know what anchoring is...
Quote by Freepower
Would recommend not anchoring, also would recommend reading the stickies.

Thanks. I've been practicing the picking without anchoring for about a few weeks due to I just didn't want to anchor. now I can play it less stressfully and feel loose and with more freedom. Thanks.

By the way, love your Youtube channel. keep it up
Quote by Guitar Sushi
Which ones?

John Petrucci, Jason Becker, Steve Morse among others.
Quote by dmtransmutation
What the Grunge-haters think is just mindless musical nonsense, in reality is the restoration of the old rule of harmony to not write an entire song in one tonality/key
Quote by Guitar Sushi
You obviously do not know what anchoring is...

Actually, I do. I was commenting based on post #2 of this thread.
Last edited by steve108819 at May 23, 2010,
Quote by steve108819
Actually, I do. I was commenting based on post #2 of this thread.

Anchoring is when you have the left side of your picking hand in contact with the wood above the strings as a pivotal attachement which allows you good stability (in the short term) but terrible > mobility <

having the right side of your picking hand touching the strings is not anchoring because the contact with the strings is not required in order to play. It's actually just plain old palm muting. This misconception is why a lot of people think James Hetfield anchors, when clearly he is just always palm muting.