Hi guys,

I have 2 questions about Mesa Boogie amps:

1) I live in Europe and would like to order a Mesa Boogie online from the US, as the prices are cheaper and the Euro is stronger. Which website would you recommend to do that from?

2) This question is more technical. I play in a punk band with influences such as NOFX, Bad Religion, Anti-Flag, Flatliners... I would like to know which Mesa Boogie would be the most suited for this style of music. After reading a bit, it sounds like the Dual Rectifier is pretty suited for the style, is that correct? Are there any other models?

Thanks!
Clément
NOFX use Dual Rectifier Roadsters and for those bands a Rectifier would be pretty much spot on maybe aside from Bad Religion. Last time I saw them Anti Flag were using Hiwatts.
I would be very wary of ordering a Mesa from the states, there are a few things to keep in mind.

Shipping costs will be large as well built tube amps are heavy to say the least.

Customs fees can be as much as 22% of the cost of the amp + shipping.

Voltage differences will require a transformer to be used at all times unless the amp has switchable voltage which is kinda rare these days.

Also ordering from abroad makes returns expensive and time consuming.

I dont want to discourage you but I have a feeling that after all of the above the deal may not seem so sweet...
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by tootsweet
Hi guys,

I have 2 questions about Mesa Boogie amps:

1) I live in Europe and would like to order a Mesa Boogie online from the US, as the prices are cheaper and the Euro is stronger. Which website would you recommend to do that from?

2) This question is more technical. I play in a punk band with influences such as NOFX, Bad Religion, Anti-Flag, Flatliners... I would like to know which Mesa Boogie would be the most suited for this style of music. After reading a bit, it sounds like the Dual Rectifier is pretty suited for the style, is that correct? Are there any other models?

Thanks!
Clément

I'm not sure how well packed the amp would be, and whether you'll face any issues with customs.

I recommend you check with a freight forwarded to handle the packing, shipping and customs to avoid any issues.

That said, I ordered my Mark V from Sweetwater to be shipped to Singapore... and they even threw in a pack of sweet FTW!
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Besides what Halikus said, there are also a lot of US stores who won't ship to europe
I just got my Mark V from Sweetwater as well. Highly recommended....they get them in stock quick too when there is a backorder. Much quicker than guitar center. The amp will most likely get shipped in its original mesa packing, which is more than sufficient. It rests inside big foam supports that keep the amp away from the box walls so dents won't be an issue, and the amp is wrapped in a bag with desicant. Tubes may still rattle out though so you would want to double check that all tubes are seated properly when you get the amp after being shipped that far. Overall I was super impressed with how the amp was packed.
Thanks for all your replies.

I will check out the prices but I think it will definitely be cheaper for me to order it from the States. A friend of mine did that and he said he was very pleased and he was lucky not to have any customs to pay.

Another stupid question: what's the difference between the Mark V and Dual Rectifier?
Which one would you say is most suited for what I want?

Thanks,
Clément
Quote by tootsweet
Another stupid question: what's the difference between the Mark V and Dual Rectifier?
Which one would you say is most suited for what I want?

Good grief, I wouldn't even know where to begin to describe how different the amps are. Go youtube some videos.

2 main differences, the MkV has lower gain than the DR (but still has more gain than 90% of most music will need anyway), but is helluva tighter than the DR can ever hope to be (even when the DR is boosted).

Overall the MkV is a far more versatile amp overall. However, for your music, you'd be better off getting a Dual Recto, esp since the new Dual Recs absolutely slay the old Dual Recs in terms of tone.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
If you want a Mesa you better just look if you find one used.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz