Morning UG.

I'm wondering if Line 6's Vetta or HD147 has high-gain tones that actually sound good and not so "modelled or processed". I'm in the market for a new head and these amps kind of appeal to me with all the features and reliability of it. I know they have models of 5150's and rectifiers' and what not, but are they actually "believable"? Is the tone well enough to fool some players? Or is it clearly a model and sounds nothing like it's supposed to?
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by DroptuneD
Morning UG.

I'm wondering if Line 6's Vetta or HD147 has high-gain tones that actually sound good and not so "modelled or processed". I'm in the market for a new head and these amps kind of appeal to me with all the features and reliability of it. I know they have models of 5150's and rectifiers' and what not, but are they actually "believable"? Is the tone well enough to fool some players? Or is it clearly a model and sounds nothing like it's supposed to?

The difference is hard to tell on its own. Playing live, it MIGHT sound a little worse if you're playing unmiced because of the problems of cranking an SS amp, but I have no experience with cranking SS amps. If you're playing miced you can keep it at relatively low volumes and avoid those problems.

I played the Flextone and HD147 in the store before and I quite like them. I haven't played the amps they model before so I have nothing to compare to, but it sounded pretty decent to me. Killer versatility, that's for sure.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
That's what appeals to me, the versatility of it. I'd be using a high gain dirty tone like 80% of the time though. I'm pretty sure they are like 300 watts SS which is definitely loud enough for gigging w/o being mic'd.
Quote by DroptuneD
That's what appeals to me, the versatility of it. I'd be using a high gain dirty tone like 80% of the time though. I'm pretty sure they are like 300 watts SS which is definitely loud enough for gigging w/o being mic'd.

Not just versatility in terms of going from clean to dirty, but the vast array of metal amps. *drool*

It's also got more effects than you will ever need. I think the only huge downside is that if you want to make good use of the amp, you're going to have to get a Line 6 FBV foot pedal with it in order use the expression pedal/channel switcher/effect switcher etc. It's really handy, but it's an almost essential component that you need to pay somewhere around $80 for.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
I would just be buying it for the high gain modern metal tones that it could produce. IF it is actually worth it and doesn't sound poopy.
The Vetta has tons of really nice high gain tones available. I own a Vetta II and am speaking from experience with using it both in the recording studio and in live performance applications. Quiet, moderate, loud, doesn't matter. Although naturally, you'd prefer to get the speakers moving (by playing louder) in order to get the best tone.

Some notes about using the amp:

1) The factory presets are horrible. Do not use them or judge the amp by them.
2) The true tonal possibilities come out of the Vetta with finite tweaking. There is quite a learning curve in tweaking the amp and it can take some time to do it. This may be considered a con of the amp, but the good news is that once you've dialed in a tone you love, save it as a preset and it's there any time you want it.
3) Two amps at once affords you the best tonal possibilities. But with this feature comes an almost infinite number of ways to tweak the tone. FYI.
4) I HIGHLY recommend purchasing Armin Heinrich's Vetta toolkit firmware mod. The Vetta sounds great on its own, but this mod sends it over the edge.

When you really learn how to dial this amp in right, you'll find its high gain capabilities quite incredible. It gets killer cleans as well. The point where it struggles is mid gain/barely breaking up territory.
^^Thanks Craig. That was what I was looking for. I guess I'll just have to try and see for myself. So the Line 6 presets are garbage? I haven't seen or heard any really high gain clips of it in action.
i'm in the same situation as you, because vetta's are going for cheap on ebay. but i can't find any clips at all..
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
The Vettas are known and loved for their high gain tones. Not like the rest of their tones is worse, mind you. Can't comment on the HD147, never tried one.
IMO, going after a modeller amps, even like the Vetta to get tones to sound just like the amps they are modelled after isn't the reason to buy one (again just my opinion). Alot of the times I find that the models are no where near spot on but they do hold a similar voicing. A tone you make based off of a 5150 model will never sound like a 5150 and vice versa. That's not to say the tone you get will be bad just different from the actual amp.

I own a Pod X3 and I love the tones I can get from it. The tones I create don't sound exactly like Bogners or Diezels but the definitely sound Bognerish and Diezeley.

Also, high end modellers are the unbridealed champs of versatility, IMO.
Quote by CECamps
The Vetta has tons of really nice high gain tones available. I own a Vetta II and am speaking from experience with using it both in the recording studio and in live performance applications. Quiet, moderate, loud, doesn't matter. Although naturally, you'd prefer to get the speakers moving (by playing louder) in order to get the best tone.

Some notes about using the amp:

1) The factory presets are horrible. Do not use them or judge the amp by them.
2) The true tonal possibilities come out of the Vetta with finite tweaking. There is quite a learning curve in tweaking the amp and it can take some time to do it. This may be considered a con of the amp, but the good news is that once you've dialed in a tone you love, save it as a preset and it's there any time you want it.
3) Two amps at once affords you the best tonal possibilities. But with this feature comes an almost infinite number of ways to tweak the tone. FYI.
4) I HIGHLY recommend purchasing Armin Heinrich's Vetta toolkit firmware mod. The Vetta sounds great on its own, but this mod sends it over the edge.

When you really learn how to dial this amp in right, you'll find its high gain capabilities quite incredible. It gets killer cleans as well. The point where it struggles is mid gain/barely breaking up territory.

GREAT post Craig. everything here is true listen to this guy.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Shabadoo
IMO, going after a modeller amps, even like the Vetta to get tones to sound just like the amps they are modelled after isn't the reason to buy one (again just my opinion). Alot of the times I find that the models are no where near spot on but they do hold a similar voicing. A tone you make based off of a 5150 model will never sound like a 5150 and vice versa. That's not to say the tone you get will be bad just different from the actual amp.

I own a Pod X3 and I love the tones I can get from it. The tones I create don't sound exactly like Bogners or Diezels but the definitely sound Bognerish and Diezeley.

Also, high end modellers are the unbridealed champs of versatility, IMO.

Great points here. And I'll add that the real high gain gems in this amp reside in the Line 6 original models that aren't modeling any kind of "real" amp. A lot of folks jump to the SLO, 5150, VH-4, Herbert, etc. models but IMHO, the Line 6 original models (high gain) are almost always better.
I wouldn't buy it just to use the models. I want to EQ a good high gain tone out of it. Nothing based on recto's, 5150's etc. I was just wondering if it indeed does metal well and that it can hold it's own against the recto's and 5150's.
I guess go try one out and see. I think you would miss your 5150 on stage, but maybe not.
Quote by Tempoe
I think you would miss your 5150 on stage, but maybe not.

I'd be willing to bet that he wouldn't. In fact, the 5150 may start to collect dust!
I've owned two Vettas, a combo and a head.

The head definitely sounded better through a cab than the combo did through its speakers. That being said, when I'd used the combo at practices, it didn't really cut through a mix very well unless by shear volume, and I always have my mids up pretty high. Can't comment on whether it was just the speakers or not, but I do know that the head sounded much more clear through my Mesa cab, than the combo did through its speakers.

I think you would miss your 5150 personally. The Vettas sound great, but they are digital and there's just something that's missing from them that keeps them from being truly awesome. On recordings or in the bedroom, they're hard to beat, but it simply won't capture the pure rawness of a 5150. 5150s cut through a mix like a beast, even with the mids low.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
That being said, when I'd used the combo at practices, it didn't really cut through a mix very well unless by shear volume, and I always have my mids up pretty high.

This is something that I hear a lot of, but never really had a legitimate issue with personally. Many of the cab models in the Vetta are useless IMHO, and they will indeed affect how your tone cuts in a live context. Before using the Vetta Toolkit mod, I always had post EQ engaged for every patch for the purposes of contouring treble and emphasizing cut. Obviously, you don't do this with a real tube amp, but that's part of the tweaking aspect of the Vetta I spoke about earlier. It has to be tweaked to cut better, and then there is no issue.

After loading the Vetta Toolkit mod, I never needed to engage the post EQ ever again for any patches. The new cab models in it blew away every one of the factory Vetta cab models. It's like a new amp after that mod.

Regarding feel, one of the tricks I used for the majority of my patches was running the Vetta Juice compressor in front in the "virtual signal chain." The dB boost I set it to would be dependent on the patch. And I'd roll the compression ratio way back. That little trick does wonders for the dynamic response.

All the tone and feel is in there. I can honestly vouch for that. It just takes a whole lot of time tweaking to bring it out. On top of that, you'll typically find yourself questioning the methods you take to get the tones because it's not intuitive in the sense that you wouldn't make such tweaks on a tube rig. This turns off a lot of people as admittedly, you can spend more time screwing with all kinds of settings than you do actually playing!
if i were you id look into a spidervalve, it can only sound better the louder it gets, my mk i gets good high gain tones and is pretty loud for its wattage

or else id keep that 5150
I am planning on keeping the 5150 for now. In the future I would like to upgrade to a head+cab. Believe it or not I prefer lugging a half stack around than a 90LB combo. Especially because I live in an apartment building with no elevator :/ I've always liked Line 6's higher end stuff and this head caught my eye. Thanks for all the info you've guys posted, it helped me out a lot. Only thing left to do is play it for myself...
Quote by CECamps
This is something that I hear a lot of, but never really had a legitimate issue with personally. Many of the cab models in the Vetta are useless IMHO, and they will indeed affect how your tone cuts in a live context. Before using the Vetta Toolkit mod, I always had post EQ engaged for every patch for the purposes of contouring treble and emphasizing cut. Obviously, you don't do this with a real tube amp, but that's part of the tweaking aspect of the Vetta I spoke about earlier. It has to be tweaked to cut better, and then there is no issue.

After loading the Vetta Toolkit mod, I never needed to engage the post EQ ever again for any patches. The new cab models in it blew away every one of the factory Vetta cab models. It's like a new amp after that mod.

I had the Vetta Toolkit/Armin Mod on mine

The first thing I did when I got them was load them with the Armin Mod.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com