im trying to decide whether to get this or a dsl401 combo amp. do these sound good at lower volumes around the house? i mainly play guns n' roses but i also play all sorts of 80s metal and classic rock. so which sounds best and will give a better gnr tone. and which sounds best at lower volume
Last edited by crazygnr1996 at May 18, 2010,
dont know about the Traynor but the marshall dsl is a 40 watt tube amp, so it will sound best with the volume is pushed. Ive never played a tube amp that sounds good a low volumes unless its low wattage, has a vvr, or some kind of attenuation network built into the amp.

The DSL401 is a really cool amp, I wish I still had mine. It will do gnr just fine.
Both amps will do GnR fine.
Both amps are pretty loud.
Both can be played at low volumes, but sound better turned up.
I'd say the Traynor will have better build quality and a better clean channel.

v.....agreed. The DSL has nice cleans, I just think the Traynor's are better.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 18, 2010,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Both amps will do GnR fine.
Both amps are pretty loud.
Both can be played at low volumes, but sound better turned up.
I'd say the Traynor will have better build quality and a better clean channel.

I'd personally say that the Traynor's clean channel isn't really better so much as different. the DSL's clean is actually very nice.

but +1 to everything here anyways
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
so the dsl401 is better? i sorta like marshall cleans better as they seem are thicker and gritty, but id rather pick the amp that has the better marshall overdrive which im gonna guess is still the dsl401 as it IS a marshall?
hey thanks for replying, sounds like you have first hand experience, if so could you maybe elaborate a little bit if you dont mind?i absolutely love Slash's live tone and want to get close to that, the traynor will get closer?
well i was meaning more of the lead tone from the bridge like here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGCoKHX3yIg&feature=related @3:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxu_rvb2q2E @ 1:50 his tone is aggressive yet smooth at the same time. is it just his skillz that make it sounds aggressive like that? maybe its just his ownage vibrato, man i wish i could do it like that.
Last edited by crazygnr1996 at May 18, 2010,
I'd probably go for the Traynor because the 401 doesn't sound that great and has been known for having some issues.
cool thanks, do you think upgrading to his pickups, alnico II pros, would be worth it? when i bought this guitar i was told i should consider upgrading the pickups. or are there better ones to match this amp??