Hey chaps

I purchased the HT20 last week and drove it back to the store for a refund 20 mins later...It sounded so compressed!

To keep me occupied in the meantime I purchased a HT-5 as I remember liking them.

Having played with the HT5 for quite a while I've noticed that it sounds TERRIBLE for the first 10/15 mins but once the tubes are warmed up it starts to sound SO much better.

Maybe this was the problem with the HT20? Seeing as it was brand new out of the box?
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Yeah, that's pretty typical for tube amps. Gotta get the tubes nice and toasty for the best sound to come out of 'em.
Hmm every other amp I've ever bought, Orange rockerverb, Marshall JVM, Laney GH100L have always sounded great straight out of the box :S
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
a £300 amp is not going to sound as good as a £1000 amp, it takes a while for the tubes to start burning in, and a while for the speaker to adjust
My old Fender sounds awful and is about half as loud as usual for the first 5 or so minutes after I turn it on... Extra warm up time cures this though.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by sharpant
Hmm every other amp I've ever bought, Orange rockerverb, Marshall JVM, Laney GH100L have always sounded great straight out of the box :S

Can I ask why you uprgraded from your Orange rockverb (if you did), I'm thinking of buying one.

On topic - I had a Blackstar until earlier this morning, it broke last night after having it for a month. But yeah, it took a good half hour to get warm enough to sound good.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
im thinking of buying the ht5, do i have to play these 20-30 minutes or i can just turn it on and go do something else in the meanwhile?
is this solved by replacing the tubes with higher quality ones?
Quote by philipk
im thinking of buying the ht5, do i have to play these 20-30 minutes or i can just turn it on and go do something else in the meanwhile?
is this solved by replacing the tubes with higher quality ones?

Solved? It's not a problem: it's an inherit property of valves/tubes. They NEED to warm up before they sound at their best.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
well i usually dont play more than an hour in a row and it would be annoying to sound crappy half of the time im playing
and if im just pickipng the guitar up for 10 minutes.....
so can i just turn the amp on and go do something while it "cooks"?
Yes, yes you can
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Hmm really tempted to ask the store if they will swap my amps AGAIN lol

with regards to tubes always having to 'warm up', yes I know that the amp sounds better as they warm up but I've never experienced as significant a difference as this.

To the question above I sold my orange because it was too warm sounding and lacked definition (not tight enough for me)
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at May 18, 2010,
Yeah my Blackstar took ages to warm up, much longer than any other tube amp I've had.#

Thanks for the answer man, what sort of music do you play? Is the distortion thick, just not tight enough?
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by sharpant
Here's my high gain demo of the orange

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y9tAW0ubWs

Thanks man, but I just realised that I missread your comment, I thought you said Rocker, what an idiot I am.
Quote by pigeonmafia
Solved? It's not a problem: it's an inherit property of valves/tubes. They NEED to warm up before they sound at their best.

That’s why they have built-in heaters. Anyway, my HT5 sounds fine after thirty seconds.
i find leaving the amp in standby for about 1 minute at the begining makes the tubes sound better, i used to do 30 seconds which blackstar recomends, but by leaving it for a minute it sounds miles better
Well I've decided to ask the store if I can get the ht-20 back

They must hate me :p

We'll see!
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
They agreed to let me swap amps again
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
I just put one on laybuy. I love the sound it has, didn't seemed compressed to me

I see you've fixed your problem. You could grab an EQ while you're at it. Help shape your tone better.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Last edited by sebastian_96 at May 19, 2010,
My series one did seem to take quite abit longer to warm up than other amps i have used or that my band mates use but that seems to be getting much better the more i use it. Probably just needed breaking in a bit. Not tried any of the HT series though.
Yeah, my series one takes a little while to get up to full balls out rawk. Once it's there however it sounds immense. Same thing was true of my Marshall TSL and Mesa Nomad when I had them.

I tested an HT-5 in a shop for about 20 mins and it seemed to sound better at the end of the test than the start...
I'm gonna go get it again tomorrow, gonna leave the tubes for an hour to warm up before I even touch it!
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Maybe after you've had an amp for a while.

This was straight out of the box new so I'm guessing it needed a bit longer.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by forsaknazrael
What's all this business about warming up tubes?
After the initial minute to get to full voltage, they should sound the same as they do after an hour, provided the volume level is the same.

Not for me... My Bassman is very noticeably quieter for the first 3-5 minutes of operation, even after a minute or so of warm up time. I can't be sure about this, but it seems like it doesn't FULLY open up until I've been playing ten minutes or so, though that may just be in my head.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Not for me... My Bassman is very noticeably quieter for the first 3-5 minutes of operation, even after a minute or so of warm up time. I can't be sure about this, but it seems like it doesn't FULLY open up until I've been playing ten minutes or so, though that may just be in my head.

This. As someone already said , the TSL i have takes a while to get up to fully awesome sounding. It just lacks the same rich sound so i always give about 10 minutes minimum to warm up, i usually have it on for an hour or two before playing though because i know i'll be playing later on and it keeps my room warm too :]
Just to add in, it always seems to me that my amp doesn't sound it's best until it's been played at high volume for an hour or so. That could just be my (always screwy) hearing after an hour playing live in small rooms though!
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by sharpant
I'm gonna go get it again tomorrow, gonna leave the tubes for an hour to warm up before I even touch it!

So how'd it go? I swapped the preamp tubes for some EHX's and it sounded better, what cab are everyone running through? I've got some V30's but I'm looking for something brighter.

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12