Hello fellow guitar players! Since I haven't studied theory yet (planning to do so in summer), I'm turning to you for some help.

So, I have this KILLER, AWESOME, HEAVENLY song of Virgin Steele, The Burning of Rome (GP file)

It's in 4/4 and most of the notes are 8ths. Am I correct by saying I have to play two notes between to metronome hits?

If yes, I cannot play this at 175 bpm all downpicked! I guess if I practice it more slowly I will manage it right?

Also, I'm thinking that it might be easier alternate picked BUT I WILL get confused since the down-up-down pattern will alternate every 3 notes.

I know I don't HAVE TO play it at 175bpm but at some point I want to be able to play correctly these heavy/power songs I so much love...
How to Program a Metalhead ?
yeah...8th notes are two notes a click. Just start at about 120 or lower and build it up a little at a time.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Yes, probably I'll have to start at low bpm...

I guess I'll have to practice downpicking first, and what's better than Master of Puppets?
Last edited by Wise_One at May 18, 2010,
as in faster?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
No, as to learn how to downpick with added notes here and there. I mean I can go up to 180 with just playing the open E. But with notes it's different.

Mind taking a listen to this? Is it correct? It's in 140bpm. If it is correct, then I'm OK up to 160. I'll just have to work my way up to 175.

The Burning of Rome Intro
Sounds fine, cleanly played as well
Quote by Wise_One
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Yes, probably I'll have to start at low bpm...

I guess I'll have to practice downpicking first, and what's better than Master of Puppets?

No point learning MoP if you want to learn something this Virgin Steele song, just keep practicing that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You're right about MoP. I start with the bpm I did the last time I played, and then increase it by two beats. I will get there, no doubt about that.

Thanks turtlewax, yes it sounds clean although I did two guitars panned left and right. But, I need to better mute the Low Eb, it still vibrates a little when I play the others notes...