No
135 58%
68 29%
Yes
28 12%
Voters: 231.
Page 1 of 3
A Googol is 10^100

A Googolplex is 10^Googol (Carl Sagan said that not enough matter exists in the universe to write this monster out)

So my question to you is, it it possible to have a "largest number?" Is there a certain point where the universe implodes from the sheer size of a number, or does it just go on forever?
it goes on forever.
Quote by BK202
Acid has been causing problems on this thread for a while. He just likes attention because he never got/gets enough from his parents or something.
Grahams number is the largest number that been used
Grahams number has more digits then there are planck volumes in the universe, you can fit almost a googol planck volumes in an atom. So if you imagine every atom being the size of the universe, the actual universe would be enourmousyl large - now imagine a number that has more digits than there are atoms in it....

there are ~10^80 atoms in the universe

that's about as big is as useful - if you have mathematical use for a number larger than graham's number you get to name it :P
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at May 18, 2010,
It goes on forever, it's just a number, doesn't really have to represent a real magnitude/thing/magnet.
Quote by damian_91
It goes on forever, it's just a number, doesn't really have to represent a real magnitude/thing/magnet.

This. Numbers are a concept, so they go as far as our minds can take it.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Goes on forever
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
*sigh*

alright, Mathematics is not based on reality, it is a system that is, within itself, complete and perfectly logical. No largest number can exist because of the ever-existing possibility of "adding one more"

Jesus, didn't you people ever read the Phantom Tollbooth?

PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH.
READ IT
Last edited by CoreysMonster at May 18, 2010,
Quote by boreamor
The largest number surely would be googolplex^googoplex...

googolplex^googoplex + 1

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW???!!!
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

This may explain - (and is truly hilarious :p)

Remember - MATHS = Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin which really helps clear up algebraic definitions - when you think about it carefully they become self evident
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at May 18, 2010,
i shall top everyone and they shall facepalm 1/0
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
As has been said, just a concept, a number can be as big as you can comprehend, and then you can always think +1, so it would be bigger, and so forth.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Quote by Timothym
googolplex factorial. effin huge

Holy fuck.

+1
Quote by Ichikurosaki
I'm lost as i failed math and don't know what ^ means

It means happy eye.
🙈 🙉 🙊
No. There are an infinite amount of numbers.

imo, that's a bit of a stupid question. For every number, there is always another number bigger than it. (Also, there's always a number smaller than it)
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by genghisgandhi
ultragoogolplex^googolplex

googolplex^googolplex^googolplex^googolplex+3

This could go on for a while.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
I've never had to use anything bigger than a Quillion.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Mr.Feather
googolplex^googolplex^googolplex^googolplex+3

This could go on for a while.

googolplex^googolplex^googolplex^googolplex+3^∞.
¡sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ suɐılɐɹʇsnɐ ʎluo

E-married to danny the fish

Quote by Kensai
That's a purdy mouth you got there, zelestros. Why don't we make good use of that in other ways...
I thought this was interesting
if the universe keeps expanding, every conceivable way the atoms in it can be arranged will eventually be done, this means that they would arrange, at some point, in the same way they already have, the point being that somewhere out there, there is with theorectical plausability, many more of you.

I love this sort of shit.

What you think? BS?
the clouds. i would take a cup of moonlight once more, an ancient sea marge at my feet, thin clouds clinging to my darkling sky, the blue-grey cloak around my shoulders and horses neighing nearby... - Frank Herbert
Last edited by Gamblor84 at May 18, 2010,
Quote by Ichikurosaki
I'm lost as i failed math and don't know what ^ means

That's an exponent sign bro. You multiply whatever number is after ^ by itself that many times.

so

10^2 = 100

2^4 = 2x2x2x2 = 16

Don't get mad if this is wrong it's summer time and I dgaf about math atm lol
Quote by myevilside
googolplex^googolplex^googolplex^googolplex+3^∞.

You can't have something to the power of infinity. It's a concept, not a number.

(Yes I am procrastinating in this thread instead of revising for my exam tomorrow on Group Theory, limits and proof. It's almost revision...)
Quote by Renka

Quote by OddOneOut
You can't have something to the power of infinity. It's a concept, not a number.

(Yes I am procrastinating in this thread instead of revising for my exam tomorrow on Group Theory, limits and proof. It's almost revision...)

I don't assume i know WTF i'm talking about, 'cos i'm not highly educated in maths or anything. But 1/3 is a number, and it's equal to 3.3... with an infinite number of 3s is it not? Just using it as an example of a place where infinity could actually be used, i apologise if what i've said is utter bullshit.

Quote by Kensai
That's a purdy mouth you got there, zelestros. Why don't we make good use of that in other ways...
concept of infinity anyone? no? ok, carry on.

edit: ^^ yeah, infinity can be used in that sense but infinitly many means, well, going on forever. it's not a number! you could never ever write enough 3s for 0.33333... to be equal to a 1/3.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Last edited by Sol9989 at May 18, 2010,
Quote by myevilside
I don't assume i know WTF i'm talking about, 'cos i'm not highly educated in maths or anything. But 1/3 is a number, and it's equal to 3.3... with an infinite number of 3s is it not? Just using it as an example of a place where infinity could actually be used, i apologise if what i've said is utter bullshit.

It approximates to 0.3 recurring (not 3.3 recurring, that would be 10/3 )
Yes there is an infinite number of decimal places.

If you don't understand the proper way to use something, then don't use it. (Sorry if this sounds like a personal dig at you, it's not. Too many people misuse the symbol for infinity and hey, you might actually learn something)
Quote by Renka

Last edited by OddOneOut at May 18, 2010,
OK, so i've learnt never to actually use the symbol for infinity, as it doesn't exist

Quote by Kensai
it exists as a concept, not a number.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by genghisgandhi
So my question to you is, it it possible to have a "largest number?" Is there a certain point where the universe implodes from the sheer size of a number, or does it just go on forever?
As Carl Sagan said later in the same clip, if anyone gives you a candidate for a largest number, you can always add one to said number. Paraphrasing of course, but that's the gist of what the late, great Carl Sagan said. The Universe won't implode from the sheer size of a number. I don't really get how that would happen.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Page 1 of 3