Well, I'm not sure how many people gig around here. but I'm sure a fair few do. So. what is your FAVORITE gigging amp? the one that just sounds so good live.

For me. I've played Vetta's, and Flextone's live. they just do NOT cut or sound as big as a "real" tube amp (not being a tube snob, just saying my experience)

For lead playing the best amp I've ever used live is my JCM900, it cuts beautifully and just "works" love it for lead stuff. it's pretty hard to beat for the price. For rhythm one of my favorite amps is a stock JCM800, it just sounds HUGE and cuts so well. love them. a good old 800 is really hard to beat in a live situation imo.

so what's yours? let us hear your stories or whatever you got!!

GO

EDIT: My favorite gigging tone I've HEARD (not played) was a Splawn Quickrod and a Les Paul.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at May 18, 2010,
my XXX + mesa 412 cuts it for me...both in studio and playing live. I only got to use it a couple times with the last band...and my current band hasn't gigged yet. But it cuts through nicely...has plenty of gain...a great clean channel. I love it.

favorite gigging amp I've heard, not played: Diezel Herbert.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at May 18, 2010,
Quote by eyebanez333
my XXX + mesa 412 cuts it for me...both in studio and playing live. I only got to use it a couple times with the last band...and my current band hasn't gigged yet. But it cuts through nicely...has plenty of gain...a great clean channel. I love it.

I've heard great things about XXX's for live situations. yet to try one out live though
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Best amp I've played is the 6505/6505+ through an orange 4x12 with V30's. Mmmmmm

Besy I've heard being played has got to be the Engl Special Edition through a 1960a
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I ran my valvetronix through an Express 5:50 effects in and it was just glorious. It wasn't my amp, but I'm going to have to get one soon.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Bandwagoning idiots are probably going to flame me but:

Marshall JVM, without a shadow of a doubt, is my favourite amp ever. Sure, there's no classic marshall tones to be had from it.. but how's that a problem? It's got a good... no GREAT modern tone. I normally use low/medium gain amp settings, too, so don't get me wrong - just because i like the modern voicing doesn't mean i wanna play metal
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
Bandwagoning idiots are probably going to flame me but:

Marshall JVM, without a shadow of a doubt, is my favourite amp ever. Sure, there's no classic marshall tones to be had from it.. but how's that a problem? It's got a good... no GREAT modern tone. I normally use low/medium gain amp settings, too, so don't get me wrong - just because i like the modern voicing doesn't mean i wanna play metal

w00t. I've only played one live once. and it worked great. not my favorite. but definitely a great job!
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
^^I thought that the classic-ish tones on the JVM were alright. Nothing that wowed me, but still decent. Definitely Marshall's best modern sounding amp, though.

Right now, my VTM60 kills for gigs. Plenty of headroom so I can roll down the volume knob on my guitar and get cleans. It cuts through the mix perfectly, gets a good amount of chug for the little bit of metal that I play, and takes pedals like a champ.
i agree with blomp. if i needed a higher watt amp for gigging i'd probably go with a vintage modern head. i like the tone it has, which i think puts us in a vast minority here. i've dialed in nice stuff on one particular purple one at SA.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
My A/B'ed Dual Rec/Jackson JG-2 setup took me a long while to figure out and acquire, but as of right now it's the best gigging setup I've ever used. Something about a Dual Rec live is just unbeatable for the heavy stuff I was playing back then.

I just booked a gig for Aug 15th on guitar though, so hopefully I'll get my Suckerpunch before then! It'll be a tight timeframe... Cause he can't ship it til Aug 2 or theres a chance I won't be back in town when it gets here.
I'm usually using my H&K at gigs, but once I had the opportunity to play through a JCM 800 2210 and once a Mesa Single Rectifier, but the best sound I've heard live came from a JCM 800 2203 + Telecaster. It sounded amazing.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Have a friend who he could ship it to? I'd do that, to make sure I got it in time.

Well it probably wont be ready to ship before then anyways... we'll see as it gets closer what we'll do. Too far out to speculate.
Quote by hansolo1106
I'm usually using my H&K at gigs, but once I had the opportunity to play through a JCM 800 2210 and once a Mesa Single Rectifier, but the best sound I've heard live came from a JCM 800 2203 + Telecaster. It sounded amazing.

Yeah, 800's are really hard to beat in a live situation I think
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Orange Rockerverb 50 -> Marshall 2x12 (this will likely change soon.) Of all the amps I've gigged with it just rips through the competition. Loves fuzz, loves tele's, just sounds awesome.

Also quite enjoyed my JCM900, but the 1x12 and lack of 2 channels wasn't quite doing it for me.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Fender Super 60 + Ross rack EQ + Eminence Red White and Blues =

Also, my Palo was absolutely GORGEOUS live.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Well, I'm not sure how many people gig around here. but I'm sure a fair few do. So. what is your FAVORITE gigging amp? the one that just sounds so good live.

For me. I've played Vetta's, and Flextone's live. they just do NOT cut or sound as big as a "real" tube amp (not being a tube snob, just saying my experience)

QUOTE]
i think if you spend enough time tweaking them and run them through a nice external cab you can get a really nice sound out of them
best live set up i saw was a band we supported
using diezel herberts into the ENGL 4x12 with v60s worked so well for what they were playing
Quote by Bostonrocks

QUOTE]
i think if you spend enough time tweaking them and run them through a nice external cab you can get a really nice sound out of them
best live set up i saw was a band we supported
using diezel herberts into the ENGL 4x12 with v60s worked so well for what they were playing

I'm not saying they're horrible. infact I think they're great amps for many applications. I just don't think they cut or sounds nearly as big as a nice 800.

Shinysides...maybe for some music. I tend to agree with the 59SLP though. the AC30. is really so so for me. Love hate . how is your SLP build coming along?
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I love my Laney AOR 50 through the original cab and the cab I built with Eminence Swamp Thangs, which are designed to replicate the sound of 15 inch bass speakers. That setup has the heaviest bass response I've ever heard. I've had people hear me from upstairs and think I was playing with a bassist.
I will admit that I love playing through my 6505+, sounds ****ing amazing up against my other guitarists Triple Recto.

Best I ahve heard was the Mesa Mark V, sounded brutal!
Quote by Bostonrocks
Yeah, 800's are really hard to beat in a live situation I think

It's true - not many amps cut with that much authority. I ****ing love the 2204 for solo work.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Probably my Carvin MTS 3212. It has a great JCM 800 tone and it is as loud as hell. It weighs a ton, though.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
^ Yup, that just about describes an 800.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Well, I haven't been to very many gigs, but the best I've heard was a Budda Superdrive 30 2x12. It was like listening to the sensation of chocolate milk (not the sound of it, but like hearing the taste). Delicious.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
matchless spitfire by a long way. unfortunately though it makes everyone else sound worse because of its awsomeness. seriously we could barely listen to my mates twin reverb once i got my spitfire.

although my engl screamer was awsome being played through the engl 4x12, i think the mixture of a slightly scooped voicing of the amp and the v60's made it kind of a let down when playing live.

JCM900 was definately fun to play live too.

best live i have heard would probably be strat into a silver jubilee. very sexy.
Quote by Raijouta
Well, I haven't been to very many gigs, but the best I've heard was a Budda Superdrive 30 2x12. It was like listening to the sensation of chocolate milk (not the sound of it, but like hearing the taste). Delicious.

i told brett this is his amp, he just doesn't know it yet. he had to know i would post that when he made this thread.

yesterday we plugged the 30 watt combo directly into the 2x12 and did a side by side with the 80 watt head. the 80 sounded a little fuller was our thoughts, at what would be a normal volumes we could dial in the 30 with minimal tone difference. it was interesting. great amp.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by josh_salty

Shinysides...maybe for some music. I tend to agree with the 59SLP though. the AC30. is really so so for me. Love hate . how is your SLP build coming along?

I sold the Metro amps kit for a martin D28. I didn't even open the packaging lol. So... not well I guess
My favorite amp I've played a gig with is a Fuchs ODS 100. That thing cuts through like a mother ****er. I needz moar moneyz.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mark IV. mmm that thing cuts in any situation like a hot knife through butter.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I've played 3 different amps live:

Cornford Roadhouse 30 - Got a good tone, but couldn't really hear myself.
Fender Deville - Horrible tone.
ValvePower 18w - Got the tone I wanted (Gary Moore type tone) and sounds huge.

Favourite - ValvePower 18w
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
I haven't used many good amps live but a JCM 2000 DSL100 through the clean channel with the gain all the way up and the volume to suit was perfect for a gig the other day, sounded great and didn't get lost at all
The best thing I've ever seen/played (seen it a few times and played it once) was a BlueTron with a Strat. It's the thing that really got me in to playing blues/blues rock. Holy CRAP did they sound AMAZING!
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
I'm pretty much a sticker for EL34 based 3-4 Channel heads in the 100-200 watt category.

I tried out a Marshall JCM2000 TSL, and that's the basis upon which I base all my other amp preferences on, I was actually allowed to CRANK this thing at GC in full stack mode (complete with $2,500 Gibson SG hanging above it and vibrating in sympathy loud enough to hear when I paused). If I'd had the $4000 to spare for that setup, I would have gone for it.

My current live amp comes close, a durability modified early Bugera 333XL that had the clip issue, and also apparently had a high voltage capacitor externally damaged from the get go (that I fixed with monster glue and duct-tape, and shortening a lead and soldering it to the board directly). Paired with the original quartet of EL34's, nothing out there sounds like that well "abused" Bugera. Since the cap repair and switching back to the original tubes after a second Set of 5 month old Bugera EL34's blew it's been fine and reliable, I still keep a set of Mullards around as backups though. That's the first amp I've ever owned that could actually slay in any live situation.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
I love my Abbey but none of you would know anything about them. Being obscure and unique suits me to the ground, I hate sounding like every other knob out there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification