So I want to upgrade my 15W G-Dec Jr amp and there’s a Vox VT50 I can get for $290. I’ve read up on the Vox VT50 and it sounds like it would be a great amp for me. I barely use my 15W amp because I think it just sounds so weak… I actually use Guitar Rig 3 and my home theatre system, which is pretty badass. My question is how will the VT50 compare with a 15W amp? They’re both solid state (well, the VT50 is a hybrid type thing) and I’m looking for that loud thick sound that can fill a room. Sure, the 15W can get loud… but it just doesn’t have the depth and thickness I’m looking for. Even as a practice amp...

I’m hoping the VT50 will replace my Guitar Rig setup, but will it ever match up to a home theatre system? My fear is that I’ll get the VT50, and it will just do exactly the same thing as my G-Dec Jr is doing. Sitting there while I play on Guitar Rig.

I play mostly metal, and if you haven’t clued in yet, I haven’t been playing for very long. My friend plays the drums and we’re planning on getting together to jam… so really that’s a strong motivator to get a better amp. I can hardly bring my laptop and stereo over to my friend’s garage every time.

Anyways... what do you think? Should I bite the bullet and go for it? $290 is a great price, and I'm poor. There's no use suggesting I get some $500 alternative. :P
for metal that amp wont be too great
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
For metal, the VT50 isn't really a great choice. Are you willing to buy things used?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Well, the vt50 is a pretty nice amp - and it sounds absolutely great when played at loud volumes, something that most SS amps fail at. However, it only has 1 12" speaker, so the sound might not be as massive and full as you might be able to get with your home theater. Then again, the Vox's speaker is better voiced for guitar, I think.

The Vox will definitely be an upgrade from your current 15-watt, though.

Sadly, as I recall, the Vt-50 doesn't have an external speaker output, so if the sound isn't phat enough for you, you don't even have the option of playing it through a 4x12.

Another thing, as already noted by posters above me, is that for metal playing, the Vox VT -range is a bit lacking, despite many reviews saying that it's perfect and br00tal. For $300, you could afford a Peavey Vypyr 75W 1x12" combo. Why not check that out? It seems to be more optimal for metal than the Vox, which is best at rock grit and shimmering cleans.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Last edited by The^Unforgiven at May 18, 2010,
i use it for metal all the time... you can make any amp sound good if you know how to dial it in..

ive owned both the 30 and 50 valvetronix models and the reason im using the 50 now is because i liked my 30 so much but wanted to upgrade so i could keep up with drums..

the 50 sounds great cranked as well as quiet, the digital efx on it are great for digital efx ( though nothin compares to analog efx in my opinion) and the modelling amps ( all 22 of em) sounds fantastic and close enough to authentic for how much you pay.

id say youll like it way better than playing off your home entertainment system as its actually meant for guitar and if you take the time to figure it all out it will most definitely pay off for you
Quote by The^Unforgiven

Sadly, as I recall, the Vt-50 doesn't have an external speaker output, so if the sound isn't phat enough for you, you don't even have the option of playing it through a 4x12.

you can line out to a 4X12.. i do it all the time.
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
you can line out to a 4X12.. i do it all the time.

Hmm? Through the headphone jack? Or do those things have a line out jack? Doesn't it sound bad? I forgot, been a while since I sold my Vt-100 (Which, if I remember correctly, DID have an external speaker out jack), lol.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
nope its got its own jack on the back, the only thing on the back plate thats red, you cant miss it.
it sounds as good as the speakers in the cabinet youre lining out to.. but yes it sounds good and the amps original tone that it would send out through its own speaker is replicated just fine
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
nope its got its own jack on the back, the only thing on the back plate thats red, you cant miss it.
it sounds as good as the speakers in the cabinet youre lining out to.. but yes it sounds good and the amps original tone that it would send out through its own speaker is replicated just fine

Oh, ok <: I thought that the Vt-100 was the only model of the line that had a speaker out (I remember the red input), and now I stand humbled here, lol.
Gear:

Ashton AG200,
Hmmm... ok so how's the Peavey Vypyr 75W for metal? What makes it so much better than the VT50? In what aspects would the Peavey be inferior to the VT50?

I mean, the whole reason I liked the VT50 is that people were praising it for sounding most like a tube amp. Hell, everyone seems to love almost everything about the amp. The only real complaint I've heard is that there are better metal amps. They never actually say it sucks for metal - just that it's good, but there are better. :/
haha it is easy to forget my good sir, i dont exactly pride myself in remembering little things like that on gear i got rid off either so no worries dude.
Quote by Concat
Hell, everyone seems to love almost everything about the amp. The only real complaint I've heard is that there are better metal amps. They never actually say it sucks for metal - just that it's good, but there are better. :/

you dont need the metal amp to end all metal amps, especially if youre a beginner. you should be after something with versatility so that your playing can expand. cause what happens when you maybe would like to try playing in a different style?
youll be limited by your amp because you bought something that specializes in one area. the vt is one of the most versatile i know of and have played and it sounds fantastic especially for the cost.. you could look into a vypyr and at the end of the day it is your choice but im tellin you. if you buy an amp solely for metal your only limiting your tone range
No I totally agree Zeppelin... which is why I took all those metal comments with a grain of salt. And I don't strictly play metal. I enjoy all styles. But since metal is my current staple, I don't want to get an amp that is good at everything BUT metal.

I do like the USB output on the Peavey though... I have on occasion made recordings with Guitar Rig, so it would be nice to have that option on an amp as well.

I also like how you can dial down the wattage on the VT50...

Ahhh what to do, what to do....

EDIT: Oh, I also heard that the VT50 works well with a distortion pedal... Any experience with this?
Last edited by Concat at May 18, 2010,
do you have any ways of getting out to music stores that would have these amps?

the best way to make a decision is to just play them and hear them for yourself. spend a little time figuring out all the little things they both have and find out which amp has dynamics you are most happy with.

in my experience the VT plays great with every pedal ive used. distortion to wah, phase, eq, chorus.. etc.. its all on the amp as well but as far as distortion goes, yes it plays great with it. so if the amount of distortion cannot be reached through dialing the gain settings that is an option for you. ( though i personally dont use a distortion pedal as cranking the gain on the cali metal setting does more than enough for me)

the usb output sounds like a cool feature on the vypyr but is something i over look as i use something called 'lightsnake' which is a 1/4" jack to usb cable that i line from my amp to laptop.

ive got a recording up using my main metal setting on the vt on my profile so if you want an idea for how you can get it to sound without a distortion pedal check it out. i went strictly guitar to amp to laptop so all of what you hear is my amp tone
Sigh... ok so know I'm leaning towards the Vypyr. lol... It just seems like it's more suited to my style.

Isn't 75W a bit overkill though? It's not like I'm gonna be gigging anytime soon... but it would be nice to have the power when I occasionally wanted it. And the USB option is still attractive.

Damnit. I wish I was filthy rich so I could just blow my money on something without much thought. Instead I sit here and weigh out the pros and cons and drive myself mad trying to make a decision.
Quote by Concat
Isn't 75W a bit overkill though?

Probably—the Vypyrs are really loud amps. You should really try a few models in a store before you decide what to get.
Hmmm do they even make anything inbetween the 30W and the 75W?

It doesn't seem worth it to spend $230 to go from a 15W to a 30W...
Sorry for the double post, but I ended up getting the VT50. I'm really impressed with it. It's got some really nice clean tones, and ample volume.

Some of the metal settings are kinda meh, but they just need a little tweaking and then sound great. One the presets sounded downright nasty when downtuned. Was heavy and loud... actually impressed myself with a few Electric Wizard riffs

I'll need more time to tinker with it, but I may end up getting a pedal. Metal Zone or something. It would be nice to have Fuzz too. I don't know much about pedals.. anyone have any reccomendations for <$100?
Quote by Concat
Sorry for the double post, but I ended up getting the VT50. I'm really impressed with it. It's got some really nice clean tones, and ample volume.

Some of the metal settings are kinda meh, but they just need a little tweaking and then sound great. One the presets sounded downright nasty when downtuned. Was heavy and loud... actually impressed myself with a few Electric Wizard riffs

I'll need more time to tinker with it, but I may end up getting a pedal. Metal Zone or something. It would be nice to have Fuzz too. I don't know much about pedals.. anyone have any reccomendations for <$100?

glad youre impressed with it dude.. its a great amp once you learn how to dial it like you said.

look into the mxr series for pedals.. easily my favorites out of any ive used ( which include digitech, boss and daneelectro) they have a few fuzz/ OD / and dist. pedals.. for fuzz check out the classic 108 fuzz, though it is over $100.. they sell a couple dists. at or under $100 and theyre pretty solid, the m-104, the m-115 and the m-116 fullbore distortion pedal which is actually a metal suited pedal. they also have an Overdrive pedal which i know a lot of people are into ( though ive never used) , the GT-OD.. all of em are solid options though from what i know through research and experience