So I went to sam ash for some strings and possibly a new toy, and saw this in a corner of one of the display cases!

business card number 1. and a sticker!!

the pedal!

i can almost take pics as well as craig

not really

opening it up:

another business card? what a tool. underneath:

in case youre hard of... seeing

So for at least a few days, I have a Java Boost.

For starters, let me just say that this pedal oozes quality. The casing is one of the best I've ever seen in terms of both sturdiness and paint job quality. The footswitch is very high quality, and the 3-way switch is a very firm locking switch. Great quality stuff here. It has a blue LED, true bypass, and a Mullard OC44 transistor. I definitely can't knock the quality of this pedal at all.

Some notes if you're looking at buying it: you pretty much have to use a battery. He says it on the site and in the instructions, so it's not a surprise or anything, but any power supply will cause noise. Isolated or not. It gets about 48hrs on the battery according to Keeley. Also, being a treble booster, it's intended to be run with an amp that is on the verge of overdriving. If you have a clean amp with lots of headroom, it makes you sound worse. In that case, Keeley recommends pairing it in front of an OD pedal. I've tried that with my Korg and it works pretty well.

Anyways, the problems I have with it - first, the tone control. Between 12 o'clock and fully clockwise, I notice no difference at all no matter what I tweak about the rest of my rig. Any more counterclockwise and you can hear the change, but it seems like it's a bad pot. Second, the switch. On the left I can hear a small difference, but the center and the right sound exactly the same to me, and only slightly different than the left. Not liking that at all.

Here's a vid for those of you who want to hear it. I'm sure you could find better ones. My rock band mic is the only means I have of recording, and it didn't like the loud amp (which was a necessity to demo this pedal). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LpkVmjoAiA

Anyways, it's nice, just not for me. So I've already stuck it on CL. Got this offer: Straight up trade, my Java Boost for his HAO Rumble Mod, or my Java Boost and Full Drive 2 10th ann(which will arrive tomorrow from Greg hopefully) for his mint in box Tim and 50 bucks. What do you guys think? Which one's a better deal for me to take?
Quote by fly135
No on/off switch, must use a battery, dead after 48 hours? HNPD!

Well what do you mean by an on/off switch? I guess it'd be nice if you could disable the battery with a switch instead of having to unplug the cord from the input jack

And I need advice on which trade to take, if either that's the real purpose of this thread lol
I wouldn't take either trade if I were you. Maybe the Tim but it seems a bit much

HNPD btw

EDIT: is it noisy if you run it off a battery clip adapter?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
I wouldn't take either trade if I were you. Maybe the Tim but it seems a bit much

HNPD btw

EDIT: is it noisy if you run it off a battery clip adapter?

I don't know cause I only have a PSA adapter. One day when I use more than 1 or 2 pedals I'll buy a voodoo labs or something

And I'm curious, why wouldn't you take them? The HAO is def worth more than the Keeley. I agree the Tim trade is a bit unbalanced, but in all fairness, it's a tough to come by pedal in mint condition with the box, and he's willing to trade for things I already have. So if I were him I'd probably lean it that way as well.

All this keeping in mind that I want to get rid of this pedal, and both of those are pedals I want to cross off the list. Of course there's always the possibility some other people will respond with other offers
Quote by josephde
I don't know cause I only have a PSA adapter. One day when I use more than 1 or 2 pedals I'll buy a voodoo labs or something

And I'm curious, why wouldn't you take them? The HAO is def worth more than the Keeley. I agree the Tim trade is a bit unbalanced, but in all fairness, it's a tough to come by pedal in mint condition with the box, and he's willing to trade for things I already have. So if I were him I'd probably lean it that way as well.

All this keeping in mind that I want to get rid of this pedal, and both of those are pedals I want to cross off the list. Of course there's always the possibility some other people will respond with other offers

Oh! I forgot you had the list, I thought you'd decided when you said you were getting the fulldrive. If you're still searching I'd be inclined to tell the guy selling the Tim to accept the straight trade for the two. If he will & you aren't a fan of the fulldrive go for that. If not, go for the HAO & flip it.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by SimplyBen
Oh! I forgot you had the list, I thought you'd decided when you said you were getting the fulldrive. If you're still searching I'd be inclined to tell the guy selling the Tim to accept the straight trade for the two. If he will & you aren't a fan of the fulldrive go for that. If not, go for the HAO & flip it.

I think I was a bit unclear - he's offering me the Tim and $50 for my Java Boost and Full Drive 2. Not me throwing in 50 bucks as well.
Quote by josephde
I think I was a bit unclear - he's offering me the Tim and $50 for my Java Boost and Full Drive 2. Not me throwing in 50 bucks as well.

Ahh! Sorry it's me, i'm worn out
In that case the deal any where near as bad as I thought.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by josephde
Well what do you mean by an on/off switch? I guess it'd be nice if you could disable the battery with a switch instead of having to unplug the cord from the input jack
After taking another look at the picture.... Based on the pic showing a 3PDT switch it should be disconnecting the battery in bypass.
Quote by gregs1020

HNPD

i'll send that paypal stuff tonight joe.

lol nooo, I need an answer from you too! which trade is better, if either?

and sure you will. just like you said you would every other day does the tracking still say tomorrow?
i haven't tried the stuff you may be trading for so i can't really give advice on the matter. i'm sorry

yea, it still says tomorrow.
although i wouldn't be surprised if it showed up today. i'm never right with the carriers.
Quote by gregs1020
i haven't tried the stuff you may be trading for so i can't really give advice on the matter. i'm sorry

yea, it still says tomorrow.
although i wouldn't be surprised if it showed up today. i'm never right with the carriers.

well it wouldve gotten here by now if it would have, so I guess itll be tomorrow. how have you not tried a rumble mod or a tim i'm disappointed in you.

anyways, gotta do my run. damn military and their PT requirements
HNPD.

If you can, try out the Fulldrive and then get back to the guy about trading once you decided whether or not you like the FD. I've never heard of the first pedal you were offered. But a Tim and $50 doesn't sound like a bad deal.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Quote by Hesh_09
HNPD.

If you can, try out the Fulldrive and then get back to the guy about trading once you decided whether or not you like the FD. I've never heard of the first pedal you were offered. But a Tim and $50 doesn't sound like a bad deal.

Well even if I like it, I'll still be getting rid of it to try the rest of the like 60 pedals on my list. It'll kinda suck to get rid of the day or 2 after getting it, but I don't want to pass up on a great deal if you guys think it is.
I've never heard the HAO, never heard of it at all infact. The Tim's are meant to be wonderful, and the loop in the pedal is ultra cool. Not tried them but there's a lack of stuff like that over these shores.

If you're getting it to flip again go for it if neither pedal's are working for you when you get 'em.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Trying to jock my photography skillz??

It seems like a pretty subtle pedal. Is that the case? From what I can tell it sounds pretty nice and would be well suited to giving a bit of a nudge to a clean(ish) lead coming out of a clean rhythm. It could even be kept on as part of the core tone in some contexts.
Quote by CECamps
Trying to jock my photography skillz??

It seems like a pretty subtle pedal. Is that the case? From what I can tell it sounds pretty nice and would be well suited to giving a bit of a nudge to a clean(ish) lead coming out of a clean rhythm. It could even be kept on as part of the core tone in some contexts.

In most settings (assuming you keep the level around noonish), it is a subtle bit of drive. I like it, it just doesn't seem very adjustable at all. Like the 2 implements that are supposed to allow you to tweak it just don't do much. It's nice, and I could see myself using it, I'd just rather have this with nothing but a level control. So I think maybe a different rangemaster clone would be better for me to look at?

Anyways, I think I'm gonna message him and just have us meet with everything and see what I want to trade for then. I'm leaning towards the Tim, but I want to see if I'm really unimpressed with one or the other. Any other feedback or opinions would be appreciated still
So I e-mailed him back. Just waiting.

Also, just want to point out, like I said, I got the Java Boost at Sam Ash. So I still have like 30 days or whatever to return it for the 180 bucks, or to exchange it. So keep that in mind in deciding if these are good trades.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Can't answer your question on which one. Maybe highlight OP questions in bold or blue or something

Cool vid. Thanks for sharing and HNPD

treble boost at 1:00 seemed very beneficial

I wish the sound quality were better. That's my fav setting on it - it sounds great in person.
I just stuck an audio clip on my profile of me jammin on it. Waaaaay better quality than the video.