Hello there, so a while back I made the silly decision to blow money on a piece of crap Peavey Windsor stack, because I was young and had no idea what I was doing. I play death-core now and have a band, but I don't really want to play live until I have an amp that's going to give me a memorable tone. So I was looking at buying a Peavey 6505+ head and a cab, now I know Peavey cabs are pieces of garbage, and there are many other choices. So I had a couple questions. The ones i'm looking at are

Mesa Boogie rectifier 2x12 or 4x12
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12 or 4x12

Those are the main ones I've been looking at. Now for the questions

I hear 2x12's have better sound and are loud enough to play any venue where your amp won't be mic'd anyway, is this true?

If I buy used (except Vader) all these cabinets are about the same price. Now I hear good things about all of them mixed with the 6505 but which one would people recommend for a really heavy death-core sound without a sloppy or muddy bottom end, I do lots of hammer runs so I can't have that muddy-ness fading in.

I'm leaning towards the Boogie 2x12, obviously i'm going to play all these first, but I wanted people's suggestions first. Maybe if anyone knows of other cabs that are even better?

Thanks in advance =p
Number of speakers won't change how loud your amp is, but it will effect tone slightly.
4x12's will have a fuller bass sound than a 2x12 but though this is noticeable it is a marginal difference.

Personally I'd go for the Vader or Recto 2x12. They are all good cabs though.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at May 18, 2010,
What about an Orange 2x12 or 4x12? I've seen a few -core bands that use them under their 6505. They are known for their very heavy low end.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
I run my 6505+ through a randall xl, and I am very happy with the tone I get. I would say this, if your looking for a cab to put under a 6505, as long as your going with v30's its pretty difficult to go wrong. Really it just depends what KIND of wonderful sound your going for. If your looking for stupid low end, look at a mesa traditional, or a stiletto cab. If your looking for something punchier, i would say take a look at what orange has to offer.