Ive been playing for 2 and a half years, and this last month I have completely dropped guitar and had no drive. My friend and I played a few songs today and I felt pretty bad that I couldn't play Iron Maiden Aces High (leads, too).... (either one)

A month ago I could play Wherever I May Roam and Run to the Hills, since I learned this random shit I was doing turned out to be legato, and I killed it. Now I can't do anywhere near as good.

It seems like I really need to start doing scales up and down, like sweeping and economy picking. (Megadeth, Avenged Sevenfold, Jake E. Lee) I'm not having the patience for it, I just go SLOW then really fast and **** up, and I know that's gonna be a problem but I need help.

What songs or tricks can I learn to make this easier? I've been wanting to do Zakk Wylde stuff too lately (I just heard Farewell Ballad for the first time... holy ****, the slow parts are teaching me a lot just by watching but then of course... it gets zakk wylde)
I'm unsure about the point of your post. At first you mention that you have lost drive and motivation to continue practicing. Are you still having problems with this? Because if so, it should be addressed as well.

Learning scales is definitely a useful tool, and if you don't know your basic scales, I highly recommend you start learning them. Start with the major scale and all it's modes. Once you memorize the fingering of each mode, start practicing them excruciatingly slowly remembering to keep your fingers close to the fretboard and remain as relaxed as possible. This will develop good habits into your muscle memory so that you can go faster later on. You really have to resist the urge to play faster here.

One thing that makes Zack Wylde stand out from many other guitarists is his amazing vibrato. Vibrato is perhaps the single most expressive technique at a guitarist's disposal, and yet many people neglect to practice it. But if you want to sound like Zack Wylde, you NEED to put it in your practice routine.
I got money on that Marty Friedman/Paul Gilbert got better vibrato then Zack =P
I thought what stood zack out was his artificial harmonics?
Quote by Arterial
I got money on that Marty Friedman/Paul Gilbert got better vibrato then Zack =P
I thought what stood zack out was his artificial harmonics?

I agree 100% with that one.

Thanks for advice, but what I meant is I hit a wall so when I did this in the past I needed to start doing something way out of my league which would make me push myself, its my motivation... sorry if I didnt make that clear... continue with advice please!
Quote by AlmostFlawed
I agree 100% with that one.

Thanks for advice, but what I meant is I hit a wall so when I did this in the past I needed to start doing something way out of my league which would make me push myself, its my motivation... sorry if I didnt make that clear... continue with advice please!

I see. Well, thats definitely a great way to continue pushing yourself
If your not willing to sit down and really practice the basics, then you won't get anywhere in guitar. One thing guitarists such as Paul Gilbert Yngqie of w/e have in common is they practiced A LOT.

If you want to be good like them, you're gonna have to sit down and practice scales ect. slowly and eventually work your way up, like everyone else.
Quote by zincabopataurio
If your not willing to sit down and really practice the basics, then you won't get anywhere in guitar. One thing guitarists such as Paul Gilbert Yngqie of w/e have in common is they practiced A LOT.

If you want to be good like them, you're gonna have to sit down and practice scales ect. slowly and eventually work your way up, like everyone else.

Okay, I actually got the motivation a lot at work today and listening to some badass music, anyone wanna suggest any songs?
Quote by AlmostFlawed
Okay, I actually got the motivation a lot at work today and listening to some badass music, anyone wanna suggest any songs?

there's your problem.

You keep asking for a song.

you need theory, not a song.
Are you ready for your life to be changed?

Between the Buried and Me.
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.