This was listed as an ART420 on eBay, I'm still not positive but I think it's an ART400, the only difference being the top (400 is koa, 420 is spalted maple). The weird thing is the top doesn't really look like either, especially compared to pictures of other ART400/420s, but I'm fairly sure it's just a very plain koa. I normally don't like wood tops at all, but this one looked so flawless and unique compared to other ARTs that I couldn't resist, and I'm glad I didn't!

I wanted something beefier than a JEM, but I'm an Ibanez ***** so this fits the bill perfectly. This thing GLOWS. Every time I walk past and see it sitting on its stand I can't help but pick it up and play it, which brings me to my next point. The acoustic tone is amazing, especially with bathroom reverb. There's a huge variation in tone between picking towards the neck vs the bridge.

I HATE the active pickups, they have no soul. But if you crank up the reverb and add some modulation (chorus/flange/phase) they really let the effects come through. I still prefer a little extra 'noise' though, I like having to work to keep the guitar under control. Heavy distortion comes through real clean but I didn't get this guitar to play metal. I'm definitely going to be changing the pickups once I get a chance to do some research.

Love the action, it's capable of going quite low but I prefer it high. The neck is medium thickness and fast enough for anything I intend to play on this guitar. Shredability isn't one of it's strong points but that's what JEMs are for . The sustain is crazy. This is my first fixed bridge though so I have nothing to compare it to. The gap between the strings and the body is taking some getting used to, you could drive a truck through there. It stays perfectly in tune so far now that the strings have stretched.

Ok I think that's long enough to qualify for a NGD thread, onto the specs and pics. The last few really show off the glow, but like they say "pictures don't do it justice".

Body: Mahogany/Koa
Neck: Mahogany
Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood
Neck Type: ART set-in
Frets: Medium
Bridge: Gibraltar III
Pickups: LZ1-N/LZ1-B
Finish: Honey Amber

Price: $365 shipped, but since it wasn't an ART420 as listed nor was is 'dead mint' as listed (though it's very close after I spent some time cleaning and polishing scratches) I asked for a $40 refund. So $325 shipped.

Woah... baddass. How does it play? I've been thinking of getting one of those (ART, not necessarily a 400/420) for some time now but my Ibanez dealer never has any in stock, and i haven't gotten around to asking if they could order some.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by gregs1020
koa, nice.

I never would have guessed koa. That's ugly koa compared to what I've seen. Looks like stained mahogany, almost!

HNGD, TS!!
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at May 18, 2010,
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I never would have guessed koa. That's ugly koa compared to what I've seen. Looks like stained mahogany, almost!

HNGD, TS!!

I definitely thought it was mahogony at first too, but....

Here's a piece of 'plain' looking stained koa:

Here's stained mahogany:

So it's definitely koa.

Here's a pic I took a few days ago when I was investigating that shows how "thick" the veneer top is:
Quote by Burgery
Woah... baddass. How does it play? I've been thinking of getting one of those (ART, not necessarily a 400/420) for some time now but my Ibanez dealer never has any in stock, and i haven't gotten around to asking if they could order some.

It plays quite well, it's definitely not the traditional Ibanez feel but it's surprisingly easy to play fast blues type licks. I've never played a Les Paul but I'd imagine this is definitely more "Ibanezy", if that makes sense. It's really exactly what I was looking for, not too far off from a RG/JEM feel wise but completely different tone wise, yet still had the Ibanez tone somehow . I guess it's harder to explain than I thought, I'll try to get some video clips up within a few days.
Ibanez's answer to the ESP Eclipse series?

anyway, super nice guitar! Really pretty

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
Very nice. I'd like it more if it had block inlays or something, but overall that's a very attractive guitar.

Also, when you change the pickups, I think that guitar would look awesome with covered pups. Would just add to the look.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay