I have looked around and really wasn't sure what to search for really. Does anyone know what the two chords at the end of a blues jam is? That's really vague, I know, but it seems like there is always that little two chord "riff" at the end of a blues song/jam. I know it will vary by key, but could someone just give me an example or help me out here? If it helps any, it usually sounds like a hammer-on or maybe a pull-off from the first chord to the second.

Thanks in advance everyone!
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
I do a 3 chord thing, a d flat, d than a Eb...idk if thats what you mean though...
Quote by AJSaw
I do a 3 chord thing, a d flat, d than a Eb...idk if thats what you mean though...

>_> in every key?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Do you know about the 12 bar blues? Formula is this:

I        I        I        I
\ \ \ \  \ \ \ \  \ \ \ \  \ \ \ \

IV      IV       I         I

V       IV       I         I

(4 chord slashes are one bar)

But if you want to repeat the 12 bar blues, you replace the last I chord with the V chord, because the V chord really pulls towards the tonic (the I chord).

That is the very basic 12 bar blues, but it can be varied almost endlessly.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
Do you know about the 12 bar blues? Formula is this:

I I I I
\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \

IV IV I I

V IV I I

(4 chord slashes are one bar)

But if you want to repeat the 12 bar blues, you replace the last I chord with the V chord, because the V chord really pulls towards the tonic (the I chord).

That is the very basic 12 bar blues, but it can be varied almost endlessly.

Yes I am quite familiar with this, but I am looking for a way to end it. I feel like it is a very common ending and if I can find an example I will. I think it may be a 9th or a 7th. I am not sharp enough on my theory to know exactly (very punny, eh? )
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by BrokenDstring
Yes I am quite familiar with this, but I am looking for a way to end it. I feel like it is a very common ending and if I can find an example I will. I think it may be a 9th or a 7th. I am not sharp enough on my theory to know exactly (very punny, eh? )
Maybe you're thinking of a turnaround? Like the V7 I or ii V I or something?

When you mentioned hammer-ons/pull-offs though, I'm not sure.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by BrokenDstring

Ummmmm...

what are you asking?

The I chord is a very common ending...
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I play a lot of jams and usually they end with a bI to the I. So if you are playing in A, you play G# then the A to end it. It's a very cliche ending to a song. Is that what you meant?
"If my baby don't love me no more,
well I'm sure her sister will." -Jimi "Red House"

Gear
1983 Strat '57 Reissue
1964 Gibson ES-330
Dr Z Maz 38
Fender Pro-Junior

myspace.com/marcrobertwork
V-I
ii-V-I
ii-bII-I (Tri-tone sub)

Those are common ways of ending a blues progression.

I don't know exactly what you mean by the hammer-on/pull-off thing but you're probably taking about something like this

E|---------------0-----------0-----------0---|-0----L-------8/7-----------|
B|-------------------------------------------|-0----L-------8/7-----------|
G|-----------4-----------3-----------2-------|-0h1--L-------8/7-----------|
D|-------------------------------------------|--------------7/6-----------|
A|-------5-----------4-----------3-----------|-2----L-------8/7-----------|
E|-0-----------------------------------------|--------------------------------|
Quote by MapOfYourHead
V-I
ii-V-I
ii-bII-I (Tri-tone sub)

Those are common ways of ending a blues progression.

I don't know exactly what you mean by the hammer-on/pull-off thing but you're probably taking about something like this

E|---------------0-----------0-----------0---|-0----L-------8/7-----------|
B|-------------------------------------------|-0----L-------8/7-----------|
G|-----------4-----------3-----------2-------|-0h1--L-------8/7-----------|
D|-------------------------------------------|--------------7/6-----------|
A|-------5-----------4-----------3-----------|-2----L-------8/7-----------|
E|-0-----------------------------------------|--------------------------------|

You nailed it, my friend...and technically that slide is like a big pull-off...kinda...but between that link I just posted and what you put there that was exactly what i was looking for. thank you all!
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Last edited by BrokenDstring at May 18, 2010,