I've been working on my ability to recognize intervals, but now I want to work on recognizing chord progressions.

What are the most common chord progressions in rock?
I've found two: I V vi IV and I IV V I.

Are there any good websites or applications that teach you to recognize chord progressions?

Lastly, does the order of the chords in the progression matter that much, or would for example the following be considered the same?
C-G-Am-F and Am-F-C-G
Could both be called I V vi IV progressions?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/songwriting__lyrics/modern_rock_chord_progressions_detailed.html

That's mostly Modern Rock, so if you're aiming for Classic Rock, basically what you've listed will get you pretty typical chord progressions.

As far as recognizing progressions, continue to practice recognizing intervals and identifying progressions out of your favourite songs.

Order is relatively important, because all chords have a tendency to move in a particular direction. Ie, IV has a tendency to move towards V and V has a tendency to move to I. That's an over simplified explanation, but that's the jist of it.

EDIT: Sorry, missed your last question. No, chord progressions are named and read from left to right in the order the chords are played in.
Last edited by Slash_is_a_God at May 18, 2010,
How about you listen to some songs to find out what progressions are common? We can't just give you a list of common chord progressions because not only will you learn nothing, but also because it simply makes more sense for you to learn these things through your own experience.

And yes, order is absolutely important. Chords function relatively different when they are moving to different chords. For example, putting the V at the end of the progression (compared to the IV) is going to resolve the progression more strongly, because that is what we call an authentic cadence. IV I (plagal cadence) is rather strong too, but nothing like the dominant resolution of the authentic cadence.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Chords are much easier than intervals to define IMO

You just have to listen to the tendency tones 4>3 and 7>1

It's extremely difficult to explain in words, but experiment with playing chords and listening to the 4th and 7th scale degrees resolving to 3 and 1 respectively.
I know if I hear the 4 and hear the need for it to resolve down, I'm listening to either a IV, V7, ii, or rarely a vii. Then from there I can just kind of tell if the chord is in the Bass, part of a dom7th chord, and eliminate them very quick.
If you hear the 7th scale degree wanting to resolve, I can assume its during a V chord, iii Chord, or rarely a vii chord. You just have to listen for the tones, and if both of them are there, you've got yourself a nice little V7 chord about to cadence to a I. This may or may not help you, but it helped me a lot in class when I was learning chord identification.
This is the method I use, and it takes practice, but makes it extremely easy.

Also, Learn about chord functions, Tonic, Pre-Dominant, and Dominant functions. It's easier than it sounds.
Last edited by coffeeguy9 at May 18, 2010,