Hey guys,

Only my second post but loving the forums, so much info around! Just posting to find some peoples opinions on gear as I am looking at purchasing a new guitar/amp combo. At the present I've been browsing on the internet and have some ideas but alot of it is guesswork.

My budget is around $3000 Australian (although this is negotiable +/-$500 if it's worth it). The problem is everyone says 'try before you buy' but I live in a country town where there is only one very limited instrument supplier. My general playing style is metal/rock ie. Pantera, Slayer, Metallica, Disturbed. My current setup consists of:

Guitars:
Ibanez RG270 DX
JS100
Washburn WI-14

Amps:
Park G10 solid state practise amp
Peavey Audition chorus 10W practise amp

Effects:
Zoom 606 Multi FX pedal

As you can see my current setup is pretty poor so pretty much anything in my price range will be better.

I am travelling to a city with a range of guitars to make the purchase and I was wondering what people would recommend looking at to save time as I will only be there a day.

I've always wanted a Dimebag signature series and am leaning heavily towards one (bit of a Pantera nutter) but I will be having a good play before I decide. Other options I'm considering are the ESP LTD series with the EMG-81 active/EMG-60 active pickup combination although I do like the whammy so I may leave this one for later. Also, I like my current Ibanez for playability so something more expensive in this area could be a possibility.

As I don't jam (although I'd like to have this option open) and most of my playing is home alone I was thinking a head and cab is probably overkill. I'm thinking of getting a modelling amp such as the Peavey Vypyr 75W with the Sanpera 2 pedal. Any other suggestions? Also, would getting one of the Vypyr series with an output tube make a significant difference.

Thanks for your input
ya go for an ltd model and the vypyr.
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
are you specifically displeased with any aspect of your guitars?
if not, i would Definitely suggest you put that Entire budget towards a Wicked Amp
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
I'm not displeased with my guitars, but I believe the pickups in them are very poor. I was actually thinking of upgrading my RG 270DX pickups but the guitar has been badly treated by the previous owner so I'm not sure if it's worth it. The highest price paid for any of my guitars was 900 bucks and I thought I'd need decent pickups get a decent sound out of any amp.

The other problem with spending so much on an awesome amp is that all my friends who have Mesas and Marshalls never get them up past 1 volume.

Can you tell us your argument as to why you'd go with the amp alone? Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
$3000 AUD is roughly $2500 USD so you have A LOT to play with.

Put aside at least $1000 for the amp, maybe more. Try the Vypyr tubes/solid states and if you like them, go for it. But don't forget about other combo's like the 6505 and Bugera models.
because you will sound better with a Squier Bullet and a Good amp than an Ibanez Vai guitar and a mediocre amp.
the amp gives you 95% of your tone (other than fingers, blah, blah).
there are guitar characteristics like more resonant, warmer, what have you between guitars (and likewise with pickups) but the Core of your overall sound comes from the amp.

pickups may be worth an investment if you like the guitar you are using,
but i would definitely suggest an amp first, with less regard to pickups, and virtually no regard to anything else.

edit: im not saying the most expensive amp is the best one for you, but with that high of a budget, you should, ideally, be able to get EXACTLY the amp you want, with Exactly the sound you need, and add embellishments with the other parts of your gear, like pickups (or new guitar).

that said, i would +1 the Vyper and related suggestions. the vyper, and maybe the sanpera for more function control, is definitely a great place to start. after that amp you may have more of an idea what you want and be able to refine your search more, or not, and save your other big chunk of money.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Last edited by boardsofcanada at May 18, 2010,
Yeah, it is a fair bit of money to play with Kobrah but still doesn't feel like a lot when you're looking at gear. I want to make sure I get something I'm going to be happy with for a while, at least 12 months or so.

And boardsofcanada, I totally understand where you're coming from. Every amp is going to sound different in some way and dollars doesn't always equal what you want. The place where I'm going sells the Vypyr for around $600, and sanpera for $500 which would leave me with some cash for a guitar. To take the next step to a valve amp they sell the Peavey 6505 212 Combo for $1,799 (reduced from $3000 apparently). I don't really know what I should be paying as I've never shopped for anything like this before.

The other option would be to put this all towards a really nice amp, like you said earlier, and wait a month or two to get my guitar. My only problem there is that most of the heads sell for around $1500-2500 alone then I'd have to figure out which cab I'd put the rest towards. I appreciate everyones input, this is what i'm looking for even if it does give me more to think about.
for $1400 you can have by engl screamer 50 head. considering it is $2500 RRP plus you get a 4 button footswitch i'd say thats a pretty good deal. better then anything else you can get in the price range.
Just get an amp and an EQ or overdrive or something.
Seriously, amps in Australia are too expensive.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
hi guys, I hope i can post this here because i dont know where to ask questions

I heard that the VOX AC30 has a better, brighter,... clean tone.
I have to chose between those two and mostely I play with a dirty crunch distorion sound, so i don't need the perfectly clean tone that much.
the AC50CP2 is cheaper than the AC30.
So my question is...
What is the diference between those two that makes the AC50CP2 so much cheaper than the AC30?

Thanks for help
Last edited by skeaky at May 19, 2010,
Quote by skeaky
hi guys, I hope i can post this here because i dont know where to ask questions

I heard that the VOX AC30 has a better, brighter,... clean tone.
I have to chose between those two and mostely I play with a dirty crunch distorion sound, so i don't need the perfectly clean tone that much.
the AC50CP2 is cheaper than the AC30.
So my question is...
What is the diference between those two that makes the AC50CP2 so much cheaper than the AC30?

Thanks for help

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=33

Post your thread here. You're kind of hyjacking this guys thread
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Newts
Yeah, it is a fair bit of money to play with Kobrah but still doesn't feel like a lot when you're looking at gear. I want to make sure I get something I'm going to be happy with for a while, at least 12 months or so.

And boardsofcanada, I totally understand where you're coming from. Every amp is going to sound different in some way and dollars doesn't always equal what you want. The place where I'm going sells the Vypyr for around $600, and sanpera for $500 which would leave me with some cash for a guitar. To take the next step to a valve amp they sell the Peavey 6505 212 Combo for $1,799 (reduced from $3000 apparently). I don't really know what I should be paying as I've never shopped for anything like this before.

The other option would be to put this all towards a really nice amp, like you said earlier, and wait a month or two to get my guitar. My only problem there is that most of the heads sell for around $1500-2500 alone then I'd have to figure out which cab I'd put the rest towards. I appreciate everyones input, this is what i'm looking for even if it does give me more to think about.

imo, a 500 dollar footswitch for a 600 dollar pedal seems kinda..... not what i would do. considering that the sanpera is almost the cost of the amp to begin with, i would just ixnay it. i would definitely suggest the cheapest vyper you can find. that will give you a great practice amp with a big variety of tones, and save a LOT of money at this stage. you will save less money and spend near a third of your budget if you get the sanpera pretty much, imo:
cheap route: Vyper. maybe another pack of strings too.
notsocheap route: get the best tube combo for you with your budget (just try them first)
but happy hunting
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
^a vyper is not value for money in australia. i think spending $1100 on a vyper would be a huge mistake. you have alot of money to play with, you have much more options. the 6505 will be a much better option for you, although it doesn't have all the in built effects, for what you are playing you will be inifinately happier you bought it. if you can find a cab for a decent price then my engl and the cab would be an even better option but thats for you to decide. the 6505 and the engl don't sound remotely similar so maybe you need to try a few things before you make your decision.

i'll reitterate, don't get the vyper with that kind of budget.

EDIT: also i'm assuming your coming to sydney to buy your stuff so if not then take the engl out of the equation.
joe_k, I'm actually in Western Australia, so I'll be going to perth so the Engl isn't an option But yeah, I think now I'll just go down and try out a few things and go from there. Thanks for the input guys, got me thinking some, I think I'll end up with a decent tube amp and have to wait for my new guitar