Poll: Do you agree with the statement?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you agree with the statement?
Yes
47 43%
No
43 39%
Not sure
19 17%
Voters: 109.
Page 1 of 2
Hello, how are you guys tonight? That's good. I would like to ask you all what you think of the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Do you agree with it? Do you disagree with it? If so, why?

I, personally, do not agree with the statement. Usually it's used when there is an unsuccessful attempt at further development of a piece of technology that ends with unfavorable results. I believe that alone is not enough to warrant a hate against technological development. I could be looking too far into it but I've recently heard it used a few times in the way I mentioned.

EDIT:
Yes, I realize there are exceptions to just about everything.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Last edited by RockGuitar92 at May 18, 2010,
This phrase accurately represents my personal values.

Grammatically corrected, of course.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Disagree with it, there could be problems with something that could go terrible wrong in the future.

See: Deepwater Horizon
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by RU Experienced?
In some situations yes, in others, no.

Edit^: Way to plagiarize my idea's prick.

Could you please elaborate on some situations where it does apply, kind sir?
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by Minion2580
Only lazy rednecks say that

Hell yeah.
Slappa tha bass
Quote by RockGuitar92

Take guitar playing for instance. Depending on your goals, establishing a perfect technique isn't necessary. If someone is able to comfortably and proficiently play with their right hand anchored to the guitar, there's no reason to "correct" the "problem."
Quote by RU Experienced?
Take guitar playing for instance. Depending on your goals, establishing a perfect technique isn't necessary. If someone is able to comfortably and proficiently play with their right hand anchored to the guitar, there's no reason to "correct" the "problem."

Ah. I was speaking more of a "this computer works just fine the way it is right now so there is no point in constantly upgrading hardware" type usage but it's really open to any interpretation.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Is a wonderful expression.
If it ain't broke don't fuck with it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by RockGuitar92
Ah. I was speaking more of a "this computer works just fine the way it is right now so there is no point in constantly upgrading hardware" type usage but it's really open to any interpretation.

How narrow-minded of you.

It's okay though, I forgive you because I'm such a nice guy.
Depends on the situation.

Quote by RU Experienced?
In some situations yes, in others, no.

Edit^: Way to plagiarize my idea's prick.

What about your idea's prick?

I was not aware ideas had pricks.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Why do unnecessary work to fix something that doesn't need it?
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
Quote by RU Experienced?
How narrow-minded of you.

It's okay though, I forgive you because I'm such a nice guy.

Well, like I said in the OP, I have only ever heard it used in the context of advancing technology.

Quote by mrmystic
Why do unnecessary work to fix something that doesn't need it?

We do it everyday. Cars, computers, space tech., etc... are constantly advancing.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Last edited by RockGuitar92 at May 18, 2010,
Quote by Primus2112
What about your idea's prick?

I was not aware ideas had pricks.

My idea is hung like a camel.

Quote by RockGuitar92
Well, like I said in the OP, I have only ever heard it used in the context of advancing technology.

I've actually never heard it used in that context.

That doesn't sound very proactive.
Last edited by RU Experienced? at May 18, 2010,
Nah, it's a shitty anti-progressive statement.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by RockGuitar92

if your guitar works but the tone is terrible, and you dont know anything about soldering/wiring and you decide to rip your pickup out for a better one and then you cant wire the new one in, then your ****ed. you used to have a working guitar but now you have a guitar that doesnt work, a pickup you wasted money on and you gotta explain to your band why you cant play the gig the next day all because you tried to fix something that wasnt broken.
The engineer in me says 'If it's not broken, you haven't tinkered with it nearly enough'. However, the student in me says 'If it's not broken, you don't have to buy a new one'. Unfortunately, by the time I think of the cost it's already too late.
It's sort of a nonsensical statement. By definition for something to be fixed it must be broken in some way. I know in the context it's supposed to mean you shouldn't improve something that works just fine, but "If it ain't broke don't improve it" is obviously a weak statement, so I assume rednecks decided to erroneously conflate "fixing" and "improving" to get a statement that seems logical.

I think it's fair to say I demolished that one.
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad
Quote by rickyj
if your guitar works but the tone is terrible, and you dont know anything about soldering/wiring and you decide to rip your pickup out for a better one and then you cant wire the new one in, then your ****ed. you used to have a working guitar but now you have a guitar that doesnt work, a pickup you wasted money on and you gotta explain to your band why you cant play the gig the next day all because you tried to fix something that wasnt broken.

That isn't entirely relevant to what I'm saying though. Obviously, you shouldn't try to fix/improve upon something that you have no knowledge in.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
I've only heard it used when my mom tries to fix things that aren't running to her expectations and she tries to fix them and ****s them up
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Nope, it's balls. Nothing is perfect and everything should be improved when possible. Occasionally it's used in a context that's appropriate, but what the phrase implies on its own is utter shite.

Although it really fucking irritates me when unimaginative cock-pockets use it in relation to music, usually to justify using the same chord progressions, styles, structures and so on over and over again. For some reason they always recognise the need to come up with new melodies people haven't heard before, but think those particular things can be recycled forever.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at May 18, 2010,
In relationships, that applies to me.

As far as technology goes, I can't seem to stick to it.
Innovation can be a good thing. If you can make something run more efficiently, then by all means fix it. If you're satisfactory with what it does, don't.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
It depends on what we're talking about.

However, I can give you the perfect example that supports this addage: Facebook.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
However, I can give you the perfect example that supports this addage: Facebook.

+1

I can't stand all the stupid changes they're making.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by obeythepenguin
I much prefer a slight variation: If it ain't broke, don't break it.

Wish more people lived by that rule, especially in technology.

I agree with this one

Quote by Xiaoxi
It depends on what we're talking about.

+1
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
If all the reasons for Ireland's economic crisis could be broken down into one phrase...
You Suck At Making Threads!

Leave It To The Profeshunles!
To this day, I still know only Anime Rock songs. シ

Gear:
Squier Bullet Strat
Fender Frontman 15R
ZOOM G2.1u
Quote by moopMASTER 2000
You Suck At Making Threads!

Leave It To The Profeshunles!

You suck at making posts!

Go kill yourself!
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by RockGuitar92
You suck at making posts!

Go kill yourself!

No you.

You suck at making remarks.
Go suction your esaphagus from your skull.
To this day, I still know only Anime Rock songs. シ

Gear:
Squier Bullet Strat
Fender Frontman 15R
ZOOM G2.1u
Page 1 of 2