I have been learning the scales on the fretboard, what-goes-where, and how things fit with other things, but in doing so I cannot write my own riff. I'm not sure if it's a lack of creativity or what.

I've been practicing my soloing/ sweep picking and realized I cannot comeup with a good base riff.

So I was wondering if their is something i'm not getting, somethign I should read or what.

If someone could help me that would be nice.
i have the same problem, i have yet to write a solid riff that i like.

my only tip is just mess around playing power chords or whatever and just find something that you enjoy playing
I've had that happen to me too. Sometimes the key is not not try to right riffs...don't go "ok how about this" just sit and play. Whatever comes naturally, run with. It'll be good, or bad, but thats ok. Dopesmoker wasn't written in one sitting, it takes time to come up with awesome stuff.
Quote by LedFender
what makes it the easiest is when u jam with a drummer... trust me....

Well its just me for now. No one I know has a drum set. I am planning to get a drumming program tho.
just mess around, pick a scale and just play with the notes in the scale and the chords in the scale, if you just sit there and play whatever comes to you, you'll kind of stumble onto riffs, you can't just sit down and say "its time to write a great riff", just play
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
get stoned
sit in silence
hear melody in head
transpose to guitar
??????
Become guitar maestro

word. I can't explain how much bud has made me a better player! haha!
Member #40 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join.
Quote by lpcustom325
just mess around, pick a scale and just play with the notes in the scale and the chords in the scale, if you just sit there and play whatever comes to you, you'll kind of stumble onto riffs, you can't just sit down and say "its time to write a great riff", just play

Most of the time I do that, but nothing seems to hit me. I think of some awesome riffs when i'm at school or somewhere other then near my guitar, but I always forget them befoer I write them down.
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
get stoned
sit in silence
hear melody in head
transpose to guitar
??????
Become guitar maestro

This, except with out the bud, unless you can actually play normally while "" and actually come up with a good tune.

For me when I'm writing a new melody or progression I'll sit down and whistle/hum/sing a tune, then transpose it to the guitar. Give it a try!
You shouldn't try to pick up your guitar and write a riff spontaneously, or use your knowledge of scales to write it. Imagine what a good riff might sound like, then use your knowledge of scales to work out how to play it.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I find it easiest to write riffs to a beat, supplied either by a drummer (preferable) or drum machine.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
I agree with everyone that's talking about drummers. Beats can inspire some really interesting stuff. Some of my coolest stuff I came up with while jamming with my drummer.

Another thing I do is play with my guitar amp's EQ settings, experimenting with different levels of distortion, different effects I have, and try and create something that just sounds cool. I find that I then have a tendency to play to compliment that setting. I'm not gonna shred sweep and tap on a clean and subtle delay setting, and I'm not gonna play full chords with face melting distortion.

Seems like common sense when I read it back, but it works like a charm, and is especially helpful if you have some kind of MIDI controlled unit or multi-effects box that can save presets so that you don't lose your favourite tones while experimenting this way.