They are the same and I think although I learned bar chords first maybe that power chords are easier. I play a lot of covers with power chords. What do you think?
Power chords are definitely easier to play, but barre chords are an essential skill.
Power chords, because it requires less pressure. Drop the last E to D and you've also got single-finger power chords.
"They are the same"

Not really...

To make a barre chord, you need to barre the strings.
To make a power chord, you only need two or three fingers in a very simple and unchanging shape.
well i mean a bar chord is usually the first three notes of a power chord.

3 strings or 6 strings...3.. or..6..3...or...6...or possibly tucked in
Not really...

actually all thats different is the finger placement. The pattern in where you hand is the same.
Quote by WASH_burn
actually all thats different is the finger placement. The pattern in where you hand is the same.

Um no. The fret you are at may be the same, but that makes no difference on the difficulty of the chord. What looks easier: A5 power chord

e|---
B|---
G|---
D|-7-
A|-7-
E|-5-

Or A major barre chord

e|-5-
B|-5-
G|-6-
D|-7-
A|-7-
E|-5-

Power chords are much easier.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by WASH_burn
They are the same and I think although I learned bar chords first maybe that power chords are easier. I play a lot of covers with power chords. What do you think?

Neither - they're both equally difficult until you learn to play them.

However, a powerchord is little more than the bottom 2/3 notes of a barre chord which means there's absolutely no point specifically "learning" powerchords. When you learn how to do barre chords you'll have automatically learned powerchords by default.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
finally a question i can answer lol, and with that said, power chords are easier, i mean all ya have to do is to er... "un-barre" a barre chord
Quote by WASH_burn
yes but barre chords can sound nicer sometimes depending on songs.

True, but I don't see what that has to do with their difficulty.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
This is technically a barre chord...

--13--
--13--
--19--
--17--
--15--
--13--

That's quite alot tougher than any power chord I've seen.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Last edited by Prophet of Page at May 19, 2010,
^How......Holdsworth-ian

Power chords are easier as they only really occur in 5-6 recurring shapes whereas barre chords can encompass any chord that involves some sort of barre.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at May 19, 2010,
Quote by MapOfYourHead
^How......Holdsworth-ian

Yeah, it's from Road Games. Horrendously difficult chord, especially given the position of the lower horn on most guitars.

My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Power Chords
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!