What is the difference between the Marshall DSL 100 and the DSL 50?
Does half the wattage mean it is half as loud? Im a total nooooob at this part.
Does having two less power tubes help keep the amp cooler? (overheating is an issue with the DSL's)

In terms of tone and volume how does half the wattage effect the sound of the amp?

I usually play shows in really large venues with about 200-400 people in them, im using a Marshall 1960B cabinet, will i be heard in the mix?

Thanks
Quote by Darkflame
the 50w will have less headroom, but be almost as loud as the 100w... i'd go with the 50 personally

the rule is 10x the wattage = 2x the volume

and you will be heard unmic'd with a 50w tube half stack, don't worry about that

headroom? ive looked around on the net and everyone says less headroom = earlier breakup.

What exactly do they mean by that?
headroom = how much it can be pushed before breakup
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Quote by boardsofcanada
headroom = how much it can be pushed before breakup

...okay...what is "breakup"?
As said, the volume would be about the same, but there would be less headroom. I'd go for the 50 in this case if you want that Marshall power amp distortion or the 100 if you want a lot of clean headroom
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by boardsofcanada
breakup = distortion

So with a 50 watter with the volume on 5 is like playing 25 watts?

Or a 50 watter with the volume on 5 is like playing a 100 watter with the volume on 2?

little confused about the breakup thing...
all right
when you push an amp, at high volumes, the clean will start to distort, because a lot of current will be passing through the tubes.

if the amp is 50 watts, it will take less current than a 100 watt amp for the cleans to distort, since 100 watts will have more tolerance to volume.

the breakup is when the clean are just starting to get a bit crunchy
If playing modern metal (ie needing lots of power amp headroom) get the 100W. For everything else the 50W.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
what type of music do you play? you can get a good clean and crunch tone out of the clean channel but the "ultra gain" channel is next to useless if you ask me. Gives you waaaay to much gain and 9/10 people will try to use it all and sound like crap
Quote by Diamond Dave
what type of music do you play? you can get a good clean and crunch tone out of the clean channel but the "ultra gain" channel is next to useless if you ask me. Gives you waaaay to much gain and 9/10 people will try to use it all and sound like crap

I play music along the lines of Armor For Sleep, Taking Back Sunday, La Dispute,The Used. Sometimes going as heavy as From Autumn to ashes, As Cities burn, etc.
Refer to sig, that is all.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong