A really good pair of headphones? Price doesn't matter though ideally I don't want to spend more than fourty bucks. I mean, I can get a -good enough- sound for cheaper. Would it be necessary to spend a hundred or more on headphones?

Anybody?
good quality headphones will cost a lot more.

i personally think there's not a whole lot of point in getting headphones for over 200, and for 100 you can get a killer pair. i wouldn't go much under 100 though if you're looking for quality and accuracy in their reproduction.

sennheiser makes my favorite with the HD280s. Sony makes some good ones too.
scope the sennheiser hd 212pro, I had a pair of black sennheiser headphones in 2005, can't remember the name but they were larger and just as good, they ran about 100 usd.
go to newegg.com and search by price. I was on there today looking at headphones. I'm cheap so i'll probably get the crappy 5 dollar, yet noise canceling ones. But seriously 5 dollars? They have some uber expensive nice ones too though. Just search by price or whatever and read reviews from people.
Bose QC15. They'll run you about $365CNDD If you want decent sound under $40... Then I'd go with the Sony MDR-XB300. They are an "extra bass" stereo headphones but they really aren't haha. The foam on them gets very uncomfortable after an hour so do with that what you will.

STAY AWAY FROM SKULLCANDY.
Last edited by Brad_Bassist at May 18, 2010,
Quote by Brad_Bassist
Bose QC15. They'll run you about $365CNDD If you want decent sound under $40... Then I'd go with the Sony MDR-XB300. They are an "extra bass" stereo headphones but they really aren't haha. The foam on them gets very uncomfortable after an hour so do with that what you will.

Ah that's funny; I JUST got recommended skullcandy from a friend. Thanks for the advice, everyone; I'll check out all of these.
i found that when you pay a lot for headphones you're often going to be disappointed cause they hardly sound any different. Obviously some sound a lot better then others but price seems to have little to do with it. Usually bose just rapes your wallet because their the household name. Like I said just read reviews.
EDIT: I've actually read good stuff about skull candy, seems kinda gimmicky to me - but for the price they're probably decent.
Sennheiser. (sp?)

great, great value and they have headphones in the $40 range all the way up to like $300 dollars. i would definitely recommend them.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by robshredsky
Just get the skull candy.. Unless you wanna pay hundreds of dollars for slightly better sound and features you don't need.
I'm taking a gamble going for these cheapos http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826735003

i take it you've never used any of audio technica or beyerdynamics headphones. its more than just "slightly better"

TS if you're just using these for recording i recommend a set of closed back phones, if you're mixing on them open back is better (but if you're mixing on them i recommend spending more than $40)
Quote by z4twenny
i take it you've never used any of audio technica or beyerdynamics headphones. its more than just "slightly better"

TS if you're just using these for recording i recommend a set of closed back phones, if you're mixing on them open back is better (but if you're mixing on them i recommend spending more than $40)

I got the idea he meant Earbuds (in ear/casual music listening) not over the ear which is a different story.
in the studio, headphones should be used for the people playing the instruments tracking the parts.
When at the computer, the engineer should be listening with studio monitors.

Don't mix on headphones, they color the sound way too much.
http://www.bluebearsound.com/articles/headphones.htm

I really like the AKG 240 MKII cans. They are slowly starting to become discontinued so pick up a pair or two sooner than later. You will see these cans in most radio stations as they are really comfortable and sound really good. They do leak with the open design though so you won't want to use these when recording with condensers or ribbon mics in the room.

If you are looking into casual listening ear buts, I suggest the Shure IEMs that I reviewed in the gear review thread...see my sig for details.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 19, 2010,
Quote by robshredsky
I got the idea he meant Earbuds (in ear/casual music listening) not over the ear which is a different story.

ah, i thought he was using them in to record.
I do want to use them to record; but I do listen through studio monitors when I'm recording. I want a nice, audible set of headphones that won't screw with the timbre so I can listen for the more subtle nuances of the recordings I'm doing. Otherwise, I will be using them for casual listening as well.
Quote by Brad_Bassist

Brad is right, you need to stay away from Skullcandy. My sister had a pair of those pink ones and they turned into complete garbage within 3 months, & for christmas my brother got the camo skullcandy headphones, he's really good about taking care of his stuff and they broke within the first month he got them. I believe when he contacted Skullcandy about it they were apprehensive about fixing it, they sold a faulty product that's a piece of trash, they feel cheap as well when you wear them.

I've never tried Bose headphones but everyone I know that uses them has positive experiences with them, I travel with my sennheiser headphones all the time and they can handle a good beating.
^ Bose adds color to the tone

Quote by Kwonnie
I do want to use them to record; but I do listen through studio monitors when I'm recording. I want a nice, audible set of headphones that won't screw with the timbre so I can listen for the more subtle nuances of the recordings I'm doing. Otherwise, I will be using them for casual listening as well.

then you're going to have to spend more than $40. ive tried out quite a few sets of headphones and i think the cheapest set i found that i thought would be decent for mixing were a set of sennheisers that were about $400. i would recommend that if you already have a decent set of monitors just mix on those
Last edited by z4twenny at May 19, 2010,