I am looking to buy my first fretless. I was looking at the warwick corvette std online and I see they run for $650-$700 used. Im not gonna get a chance to actually play 1 and was just gonna order it offline. And another thing is to Ive actually never even played a fretless before. So before I buy it i just wanted to ask what you guys think of it? Also is there really any difference between the bubinga bodies and the swamp ash bodies?
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Go down to your local store and play a fretless first.They feel much different to a fretted, and then there's the issue of intonation.

Bubinga is a more low middy type wood, which will give you lots of strong lows. Ash is the opposite, mid and highs rich, great for rock.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Instead of going out and getting a Corvette STD for your first fretless (although it's a great bass), I would just go some music stores, try some out, and buy a cheaper one there. That way, you can upgrade when you want to. Unless you really want a Corvette. But if it's not essential, then look into the Squier Vintage Modified fretless. I really liked it, and most other people here will agree. So will your wallet.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Well over all is this a pretty good fretless bass for $650? Ive played the fretted version and loved it. The only reason I really want to get a fretless is just to add something esle to my arsenal and its something different to play. I wanted to either buy a 6 string bass or fretless. And I figured ide prolly play a fretless more then a 6 string. And if this is a good fretless bass I dont mind spending the extra money on it even if i dont play it much.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Last edited by The1bassist06 at May 19, 2010,
It's a Warwick, of course it's gonna be great.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
It's a Warwick, of course it's gonna be great.

never ever heard a bad thing said bout Warwick cept maybe their price for some folks.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The price is perfectly acceptable for their greatness

but being an uber poor student who was just laid off from their part time job cause of a lul work its not there goes my £120 a weekend only have £60 and a £50 bung from my parents to do me for 2 gigs coming up.

I wish i could afford a corvette cause they are just so awesome looking.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
one of my freinds has one and it is a beuty of a bass theres no downside at all tone wise. you will find out quickly that it will possibly be THE HEAVYEST bass you will ever play on so thats a warning but other then that all good!
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
TS, I was actually considering buying one of these also as my first fretless. However I can't find any Warwicks whatsoever nearby to try out.
Hmmm Then ill guess ill go ahead and get it =).
Quote by Damaged Roses

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The price is perfectly acceptable for their greatness

Yes, totally.

Though, as a proud owner of two warwick corvettes, a bubinga and a swamp ash
You should try it before you buy it, always. Warwicks have a very particular tone and feel, they might not be for you. If you like it, then go for it.
If you can afford to start with a high-end bass, then you should. It will save you the trouble of upgrading later on, which you will almost certainly do.

Warwicks are first-rate instruments. You will be very happy with one. If there is a drawback to them, it is that they are often very heavy. Some people like that, though.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
warwicks are absolutely wonderful instruments, i hope one day to own one. having said that, try before you buy of course
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
My girlfriend has one, and she let me borrow it for a month, so I think I have a few useful things to add.

First off, a fretless sound is a fretless sound. It will never be the same as a fretted, so dont expect it to be! That said, it gets closer to that ballsy fretted rock tone than any other fretless Ive ever played.

The neck is very thin and feels kind of rectangular. It didnt inhibit my playing it was just different.

It achieves the perfect muah with the right attack, and its an extremely playable bass

Also, I second how heavy it is. Its gotta be about 10-12lb at least. Its even heavier than my fernandes gravity (which makes me wonder what wood my gravity is made of)