Hey UGers. I really need your help!

I get a really annoying high E-string buzz from 10th fret to the 22nd fret.

After much inspection...
- not a fret buzz (I get the annoying buzz on 12th harmonic, as well as the 22nd (which is the last) fret
- no loose screws on the saddle
- no nut problems

Could it be a pickup issue? As you can see, these pickups are kinda funky looking, and they sound nothing like any other pickups I've heard in the past. But maybe the magnets on the E-string are messed up for some reason...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The guitar is a Shaman JPM Standard, with Lace Alumitone pickups.

I really don't know what the issue is... it would be wonderful if you guys could help me..

Thanks!
Last edited by ai4281 at May 19, 2010,
Quote by Deadlock Riff
no idea but i would love to try out those pickups. yum

Yeah, they sound really good. Neck PU sounds creamy, and bridge pickup sounds real bassy... And using them together gives you a very nice clean tone.

I would strongly recommend them!

I really hope it's not the pickups that's causing this issue, because I really like their sound.
try putting on a different gauge string or have a look at the bridge or possibly even the nut
Quote by antonvrg
try putting on a different gauge string or have a look at the bridge or possibly even the nut

About putting on different gauge string, should I try a thicker one or a thinner one?
Eliminate potential issues 1 by 1.

Do you get the buzz when the guitar is played acoustically AND when plugged in? Only when plugged in? If the latter then it's a pickup problem and I actually highly doubt this. If both then you know nothing is electronically wrong with the PUP.

See if perhaps a pickup is mechanically making the noise by holding the pickup (to dampen it) and attempt to recreate the buzz. If this stops the problem then the frequency of those higher notes is causing the pickup to vibrate in such a way as to cause the buzz. As your Pickups are direct mounts, there is normally a piece of foam underneath to provide a force opposite to the screws that hold it down. Perhaps the foam is wornout and not providing a enough force causing a bit of screw rattle.

Check you tuners by dampening them with you hand and trying to recreate the buzz. Again, if this stops the buzz you know you have an issue with a tuner buzzing.

Do the above with every part of the guitar to find where the problem lies.
F*cking magnets on the strings. How do they work?
Signature Signature Signature Signature Signature Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Signature Signature Signature Signature Signature Signature Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis
Okay, solved the issue....

I tried everything people suggested, but the issue did not go away. So I came to the conclusion that it was the bridge pickup's fault... Since the high E was the problem, I thought "well, if I flip the pickup, at least the high E won't buzz and I'll just sacrifice the low E"

So I did that.. And voila! No buzz. No buzz on any string!! Not even the low E, where I suspected the magnet was broken or something.

And the whole tone of the guitar has changed as well. The bridge pickup is now not as bassy, but more harmonically rich. And it sounds better for crunchy distortion.

So maybe the bridge pickup was installed the wrong way in the factory. Anyway, problem fixed. Thanks everyone!
Last edited by ai4281 at May 19, 2010,
Quote by ai4281
Okay, solved the issue....
Since the high E was the problem, I thought "well, if I flip the pickup, at least the high E won't buzz and I'll just sacrifice the low E"

So I did that.. And voila! No buzz. No buzz on any string!! Not even the low E, where I suspected the magnet was broken or something.

I'll bet if you put it back in the corret way the buzz woud remain gone. Sounds like a simple mechanical vibration problem...perhaps would have gone away had you just turned each pickup screw 1/4 turn or so.
Quote by webwarmiller
I'll bet if you put it back in the corret way the buzz woud remain gone. Sounds like a simple mechanical vibration problem...perhaps would have gone away had you just turned each pickup screw 1/4 turn or so.

Yeah, maybe I'll try that next time I change strings. It's very likely that the problem was pickup screws vibrating...

Btw, has anyone tried flipping their PUs? Sounds way different now. I guess the magnets are facing opposite directions now, so they are accentuating different frequencies.
Hi, can you tell me something about this guitar? What is the price? It's very nice
Quote by Lostpick
Hi, can you tell me something about this guitar? What is the price? It's very nice

Check out my YouTube channel at youtube.com/ai4281

I have a few videos of myself playing the thing in clean and distorted settings.

-------- review -----------------

It's a very nice guitar Designed by a Korean company called Shaman, handmade in Germany.

Here's the website http://www.shamanguitar.com/products/jpmstandard/

The guitar came out at NAMM 2009, so it's very new. In fact, it's so new that this is the only model the company offers right now.

Locking tuners, mahogany body, maple neck, set-neck, Alumitone pickups, Wilkinson bridge... It feels very high end.

The neck is fast, but it's not a shredder axe so it doesn't even compared to an Ibanez neck. It's more like a les paul neck, really.

It's got a very bassy tone with great sustain thanks to the mahogany body, and Alumitone PUs only make the sound better. It's got a very full sound that responds well to drive..

I didn't buy this guitar, I got it as a gift from my uncle who is friends with the owner of the company. I think this guitar is supposed to be about a grand US $.. They don't have distribution set up in most places, so you probably can't order it from your local guitar store...

I would recommend this guitar to anyone, and I'll probably get the same guitar if it gets lost or stolen.

lol this turned into a harmony central review.
Last edited by ai4281 at May 21, 2010,
I watch the video on youtube, it was great. It looks like an expensive guitar, but here I found one an it cost me around $800!!!I'm going to buy it in ten days. A Shaman JPM Standard Transparent Black Quilted Maple Top with HSS configuration. Or would it be better if I buy the HH configuration?? I need a versatile all aound guitar.
What an odd trem...I don't know if I'm being a little ridiculous here but are the saddles for the B and high E strings suppose to be so even?