Page 1 of 5
I study at a catholic school, and we have a subject called Religion in which the teacher "teaches" us about morale and religion, what is wrong and what is good, etc... Today, he was teaching us about humanism, agnosticism, antropology, atheism, etc... and i was enjoying the class until he started to speak about atheism. He started with a "atheists are actually rebel people who knows god exists but they dont wana accept it" speech, and I was like f*ck it and started ignoring him (i consider myself a strong atheist), then he started with that bullshiet for minutes, and then incited the people from my class to give their opinion (they are ALL catholics, there is no one radical tho...) about atheism, and it was like 20 minutes of ilogical arguments and insults to atheism (someone even randomly said, ATHEISTS ARE STUPID) and honestly im fucckin amazed by the inteligence of my classmates. Someone explained that if something extremely good happens to you (you get cured from an illness, you survive a car crash, etc) happens to you, thats the sole proof that god exists, and that shittstorm of ideas will continue tomorrow in my class. What would any of u do im my position? I feel mad and amazed at the same time.... Btw, i didnt give my opinion because it would have been an argument of 1 student vs 15+ ignorant students what would have ended in insults and rage lol

PS: my english sucks ^_^ sorry for it
Last edited by TheClown at May 19, 2010,
Quote by TheClown
Btw, i didnt give my opinion because it would have been an argument of 1 student vs 15+ ignorant students what would have ended in insults and rage lol
So you know when to keep your piehole shut. This is good.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Start shaking uncontrollably and scream "IM BEING POSESSED, IM BEING POSESSED!".

Bonus points if you grow horns and wings.
Welcome to Athiesm. We just deal with it because unlike many of them, we are not on a mission to convert others to our beliefs.

Edit: Or rather disbelief.
Last edited by Piscasis at May 19, 2010,
I'm not really sure what you were expecting from a religion class at a Catholic school.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by Piscasis
Welcome to Athiesm. We just deal with it because unlike many of them, we are not on a mission to convert others to our beliefs.

what i dont even
quit being such a baby and state your case, even us Christians who attend classes filled athiests have to go through this sooner or later. give your arguments and hear their rebuttal. they're catholics though, so you'll probably hear some pretty weird stuff...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Why the hell are you even there when you're an atheist?
I'd go crazy in a room full of those people, because I want to confront them with a discussion but I also know that wouldn't help since they'd think of me like the ignorant idiot.
It's my last year of school, and they actually give a good education O_o... thats why im there, plus, i got expelled from my last school <.<
Quote by GodofCheesecake
I'm not really sure what you were expecting from a religion class at a Catholic school.

I go to a Catholic school, and most people have been baptised and all that stuff, but consider themselves to be atheist. We constantly question our teacher and she takes the time to listen to us and even agrees with us sometimes. She pretty much admitted she thinks the Adam and Eve story is fake. Not all Catholic schools are retarded.
R/DedIT
The Glitch Mob

Arkasia

Tool

Quote by madbasslover
I'd pay four bucks to have those 6 balls stuffed in my mouth.
i would have gone nuts in that room and argued with every last man, woman and child who sat against me.

but that's just me...i'm argumentative.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
any clown who teaches a philosophy based class (whether he likes it or not, "religion" is basically philosophy class with more theistic overtones) and biases himself against any group should simply not be teaching. an Ethics course is no place for a "these people sin against God!" debate. I am a catholic, and even I would be exploding about how ****ing stupid the people in the class are. You're a much more patient man than I am if you kept it to yourself.

You gotta just get through it, its the last year.

Quote by SnowTau
She pretty much admitted she thinks the Adam and Eve story is fake. Not all Catholic schools are retarded.

This is because she is a catholic, and not a fundamentalist christian. Catholic teaching encourages taking the stories of the bible with a grain of salt. Any catholic who believes the Adam and Eve story is in the wrong branch of christianity.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at May 19, 2010,
The classmates actually probably Are intelligent, they just don’t know how to argue their point. Take a good philosophy course, study the great philosophers: if you are as intelligent as you insinuate by insulting your classmates you will realize that the only legitimate explanation for human existence is the existence of God
Gear:
Epiphone Explorer (Lucy)
Jay Turser Les Paul
1986 B.C. Rich Mockingbird N.J. Series w/Kahler Flyer Trem
Squier Strat
Washburn Lyon Acoustic
Charvel Bass
Fender Frontman 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
any clown who teaches a philosophy based class (whether he likes it or not, "religion" is basically philosophy class with more theistic overtones) and biases himself against any group should simply not be teaching. an Ethics course is no place for a "these people sin against God!" debate. I am a catholic, and even I would be exploding about how ****ing stupid the people in the class are. You're a much more patient man than I am if you kept it to yourself.

You gotta just get through it, its the last year.

Yeah, TS. Maybe it would be a good idea to just nod and smile the whole time. You wouldn't want to get attacked by 15 furious Christians.
Quote by rebel rocker
The classmates actually probably Are intelligent, they just don’t know how to argue their point. Take a good philosophy course, study the great philosophers: if you are as intelligent as you insinuate by insulting your classmates you will realize that the only legitimate explanation for human existence is the existence of God

i like this guy...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by rebel rocker

lol
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by rebel rocker

Troll?

Quote by The_Casinator
Yeah, TS. Maybe it would be a good idea to just nod and smile the whole time. You wouldn't want to get attacked by 15 furious Christians.

Then we can have another inquisition
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
Last edited by metal4eva_22 at May 19, 2010,
Quote by The_Casinator
Why the hell are you even there when you're an atheist?
This is actually pretty common in the US. Most of the private schools are catholic schools.

Generally a better learning environment. They don't put up with disruptions in their classrooms. Troublemakers are just dumped back into the public school system. Behavioural rules are strict. If you don't like them, you don't have to pay to go there. Just go to a public school.

If the local public school sux, non-catholic parents will often pay to send their kids to catholic school, if they can afford it.

TS was wise enough to know when to keep his mouth shut.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
This is actually pretty common in the US. Most of the private schools are catholic schools.

Generally a better learning environment. They don't put up with disruptions in their classrooms. Troublemakers are just dumped back into the public school system. Behavioural rules are strict. If you don't like them, you don't have to pay to go there. Just go to a public school.

If the local public school sux, non-catholic parents will often pay to send their kids to catholic school, if they can afford it.

I go to catholic school, I don't pay a dime most in Canada are funded just like public schools. They're exactly the same here as the public schools, except its intended to be a community of catholics (meaning there are morning prayers, masses on special occasions, crucifixes in every class, etc.)
Quote by rebel rocker

That's plain retarded.
Everyone's got beliefs. Let them have them, you have yours, and that's all. Regardless of what the belief system is, if it helps someone to make even one more decent choice than they would have, in my mind, that's a positive thing.

As far as their being 'ignorant,' you're in highshool. Most people at that age are naive. It's just how it goes. Don't let it bug you.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you

Actually, if i had started a fight/argument there, i wouldnt been aprehended, because they are actually open minded (the principal and those high rank people in the school)
Quote by TheClown
Actually, if i had started a fight/argument there, i wouldnt been aprehended, because they are actually open minded (the principal and those high rank people in the school)

It wasn't about being physically confrontational. Knowing when to speak and when not to is tact. Sometimes, talking is just talking and just for the sake of talking. If it doesn't benefit someone, it's usually better to just stay quiet.

There's an old eastern saying-

Only speak if you can improve on the silence.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I go to catholic school, I don't pay a dime most in Canada are funded just like public schools. They're exactly the same here as the public schools, except its intended to be a community of catholics (meaning there are morning prayers, masses on special occasions, crucifixes in every class, etc.)
Yeah, totally different in the US. Not government funded. Dunno where TS is, but if he's in the states his folks pay serious bucks for tuition.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Yeah, totally different in the US. Not government funded. Dunno where TS is, but if he's in the states his folks pay serious bucks for tuition.

Probably less than 2k a year if it's high school. Not that bad, really. If the government would subsidize us and give us a tax break... Well they won't, **** em.

Im from Panama. Almost everyone is christian, few people are radical about it. Almost everyone is open minded to an extent.

EDIT= and I pay around 150 bucks per month i think O_o...
Its actually not retarded captaincrunk, im just gonna go out on a limb here and assume that you think murder, rape, stealing, and things of that nature are wrong. That would mean that you have morals. If there is no God and nothing happens to you after you die, why do you need to be moral? If we have no afterlife then we should live life to the fullest, do whatever we want, whenever we want, and there would be no consequences. Murder, theft and rape would just be something people do. Morals would be unnecessary and unjustified. If you want something, just take it, if you don’t like someone, kill them and they’re gone. What tells us what we think is “right and wrong” is our conscience, aka, our morals. The only way to justify morality is with the existence of a God. Specific religions, Catholicism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, etc, all have different circumstances and specified beliefs and that’s where most of the argument and problem is between religion, but belief in a higher being is common.
Gear:
Epiphone Explorer (Lucy)
Jay Turser Les Paul
Squier Strat
Washburn Lyon Acoustic
Charvel Bass
Fender Frontman 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Seriously? You make such a condescending post and then your main argument is about morals? Morals aren't defined by religion, dude. You might want to take a few more of those philosophy classes you were talking about.

EDIT: Okay, I just read the second half of that post.

...I don't even know what to say
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Last edited by GodofCheesecake at May 19, 2010,
Quote by rebel rocker
Its actually not retarded captaincrunk, im just gonna go out on a limb here and assume that you think murder, rape, stealing, and things of that nature are wrong. That would mean that you have morals. If there is no God and nothing happens to you after you die, why do you need to be moral? If we have no afterlife then we should live life to the fullest, do whatever we want, whenever we want, and there would be no consequences. Murder, theft and rape would just be something people do. Morals would be unnecessary and unjustified. If you want something, just take it, if you don’t like someone, kill them and they’re gone. What tells us what we think is “right and wrong” is our conscience, aka, our morals. The only way to justify morality is with the existence of a God. Specific religions, Catholicism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, etc, all have different circumstances and specified beliefs and that’s where most of the argument and problem is between religion, but belief in a higher being is common.

Smaller paragraphs please. I'm a philosophy major, foo. I don't need to justify morality. I've got enough problems on my hands proving the world is made up of physical things.
i also went to a christian school for a period of time where they pushed 'christian' morality. just realize that most christian morality isnt based in the bible, it's based in upholding historical christian tradition in which they contort the bible to come into agreement with their beliefs (things like drinking is a sin when clearly jesus drank wine). to argue with them, and to even argue with them on the basis of the bible will largely get you nowhere because they are firmly rooted in the legalistic practice of human-created doctrine/rules.

i always found that just keeping my mouth shut was the best option. sure you could argue against them, but then youre going to be 'that guy' to the rest of the class and youre going to constantly have to argue and stick up for your opinion in every class. it was never that important to me to stand up and dispute the asinine things that were being discussed, so i would just spend my time doing homework for other classes or doodling in my notebook.

so what if they are all mislead and the class consists of nothing more of an over-glorified christian rule upholding circle-jerk. you go to a religious school, you should expect that sort of shit.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"

Thats bullshiit. I dont need a god to know if its bad or wrong to rape a baby, or to kill a woman, its simply twisted. We simply dont kill and do crimes because we want a peaceful society, plus, there is something called PRISON, and u go there if you do crimes. Even if i wanted to kill you because i had the urge to, that actioun would have a concequence, and the concequence would be prison and maybe guilt and remorse. And you cant say a shiit about morale in religion, i pretty sure i have more morale than any of those priests that raped chieldren. If you need an imaginary friend to tell you whats wrong and good, you are authistic. C:

EDIT: i already said that my english sucks, im having a hard time trying to explain myself lol
Quote by strat0blaster
It wasn't about being physically confrontational. Knowing when to speak and when not to is tact. Sometimes, talking is just talking and just for the sake of talking. If it doesn't benefit someone, it's usually better to just stay quiet.

There's an old eastern saying-

Only speak if you can improve on the silence.
And there's also that old Adam West saying-

"Wisdom is knowing when to shut the fuck up."

I like that one.
God exists but does not.

Just saiyan
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Last edited by shattamakar at May 19, 2010,
There’s a great quote from my philosophy teacher reflecting on his 40+ years of teaching, he said “There is no educating the close-minded. Even the best argument and most substantial evidence will not convince someone who is unwilling to accept ideas that either prove their ideas to be wrong or that they do not want to believe are true”
Gear:
Epiphone Explorer (Lucy)
Jay Turser Les Paul
Squier Strat
Washburn Lyon Acoustic
Charvel Bass
Fender Frontman 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Quote by rebel rocker
There’s a great quote from my philosophy teacher reflecting on his 40+ years of teaching, he said “There is no educating the close-minded. Even the best argument and most substantial evidence will not convince someone who is unwilling to accept ideas that either prove their ideas to be wrong or that they do not want to believe are true”

You have no evidence. I have no reason to believe you, whatsoever.
Quote by rebel rocker
"God put dinosaur fossils here to test our faith"

That one makes me lol everytime
Page 1 of 5