yo, another dumb question from yours truly, so, i have no idea what the hell music theory is or what its even about, and even if i try to read about it i still don't get it, i don't know what a legato is, and i'm pretty unfamiliar with most guitar terms, so... my band mate suggested that i take music lessons from some random music teacher that taught him the basics to guitar playing

now i'm not really saying its a bad idea since it might come in handy, but i just spent all my cash on some equipment so if i'm gonna get a music teacher i'm gonna have to work my ass off again at that damn water delivery err... place... so... back at teh matter in hand (or at hand? meh grammar sucks) is it gonna be a good investment? is learning music theory that important? will i become a guitar hero just coz i learned music theory? so... yeah... out of questions soooo... thanks in advance guys
To me the best thing about music teachers is that they can save you a lot of time by correcting your basic technique, "perscribing" certain exercises that'll help you advance a lot quicker and challenge you by asking you to learn certain songs so that you can go over them during the next lesson (the added pressure alone will likely force you to work harder). All of this can make the whole learning process a lot more fun

If you're one of those people who are too lazy to learn your theory (I know it's not the most interesting thing, which is why many of us never get around to learning a lot of theory) then perhaps it would be a good idea to see this guy (you called him "some random music teacher", but if I understand correctly one of your friends has had a pretty positive experience working with him, or else he wouldn't recommend you to do the same, right?). If, however, you've tried learning your theory but you just CAN'T SEEM TO GRAB A HOLD OF IT then maybe you should think about this twice. I mean, you're nearly broke, right? If you're absolutely positive that mastering music theory seems like a waaay too difficult for you, it's possible that you're gonna lose a lot of money over this, because apparently you're not a quick learner

In any case, I'd recommend submerging yourself in some online lessons first and be really dedicated to figuring everything out by yourself (be precise: you want to learn about legato > aim all your efforts at studying every piece of legato-related info you can lay your hands on). You don't have any money now anyways. And once you do, maybe it'd be a good idea to THEN approach this teacher and try him out for a couple of lessons. It'd be better if you already knew some theory by then, because if you know where your weaknesses lie it'll become a lot easier to specify WHAT you want to learn (instead of just following his programme), and that will save you a lot of time and money

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at May 19, 2010,
awright then, ima try it out (after earning some money of course) but before i go work my arse off to get some cash, can you tell me some awesome benefits to learning theory? i'd seriously want to know what i'm getting myself into first, thanks
Last edited by shadowz_fall at May 19, 2010,
It helps with composing, it helps with communication w/ other musicians.
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.