Is there a set formula or technique in determining relative minors and majors well i know the relative minor of C is Am is he relative minor of G Dm? well anyway is there a technique?
Whoever said the telecasters were only made for country deserves a banjo slapping.
Rick_Diculous wrote:

A band's greatness is measured on Rock Band sales
The relative minor is the 6th degree of the major scale. For example, F Major:

F, Gm, Am, Bb, C, Dm, Emb5, F

In the harmonized major scale, Dm is your 6th degree, which is the relative minor key
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
What nedthehead said is completely correct but I think you're asking for something like the following...

On the fretboard, the minor is 3 frets lower and, likewise, the major is 3 frets higher than the minor.

C (down 3 frets) Am

G (down 3 frets) Em

E (down 3 frets) C#m

Bm (up 3 frets) D

F#m (up 3 frets) A

That's just a means to an end though; you should eventually just have them memorized.
404: Sig not found.
Last edited by ChrisN at May 19, 2010,
The relative minor is the minor chord built off the sixth degree of a major scale.
The relative major is the major chord built off the third degree of a minor scale.

C -> Am (6th).
Am -> C (3rd).
Gm -> Bb (3rd).
Bb -> Gm (sixth).
yeah i understand it now but how about the other notes in the scale how would i know if it was a Major or a minor like i know the 5th degree of C is GM but how would i know if its major or minor?
Whoever said the telecasters were only made for country deserves a banjo slapping.
Rick_Diculous wrote:

Quote by ronkun
yeah i understand it now but how about the other notes in the scale how would i know if it was a Major or a minor like i know the 5th degree of C is GM but how would i know if its major or minor?

First, make sure that you understand how to write out the notes in any major scale correctly. There are many ways of doing this, half-whole step patterns in a set order, is one way that is taught here. It's also known as tone, semi tone, depending on where you are from.

Then once you do that, understand that that pattern of chords in a major key are always in a set order. So you would want to memorize that pattern. Once you have the correct notes in any major scale, and the order that chords come in any major key memorized, you put the two ideas together.

So your 2 priorities are:

Learn how to spell out any major scale
Memorize the order of chords in the Harmonized Major Scale

There are lessons here on UG, I am sure that will show you how to do this. Self taught, it can take however long as it takes you to get it.

Best,

Sean
Quote by ronkun

The scale starting on the 5th degree of C major is actually the G mixolydian mode (G A B C D E F G), which is neither a major nor a minor scale, but the root, third and the fifth (G, B and E) form a major triad (a major third with a minor third "stacked" on top of it).

Look at some of these lessons for a more detailed explanation: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=modes&search_type=lessons
Quote by stunt_metal
The scale starting on the 5th degree of C major is actually the G mixolydian mode (G A B C D E F G), which is neither a major nor a minor scale, but the root, third and the fifth (G, B and E) form a major triad (a major third with a minor third "stacked" on top of it).

Look at some of these lessons for a more detailed explanation: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=modes&search_type=lessons

He's not asking about scales, he is talking about what chord is at the V in the C Harmonized Major Scale.

The Mixolydian observation is wholly irrelevant in this instance, and can only create more unintended confusion, so I wanted to jump in and intercept this thread and bring it back to the actual question.

Best,

Sean
ah i see yeah i know these theories i didnt know these were the applications thanks sean
Rick_Diculous wrote: