Hey All

So I've got a Dean Razorback thats got a Floyd Rose in it.

And me being a massive As I Lay Dying fan, has been wanting to play some metal, and ive been playing around with the bridge to try and set it up but am unable to get it tuned right (I want it in drop c), and the face plate ends up to high.

Can someone please help??

Cheers
Quote by def_metal_rules
Hey All

So I've got a Dean Razorback thats got a Floyd Rose in it.

And me being a massive As I Lay Dying fan, has been wanting to play some metal, and ive been playing around with the bridge to try and set it up but am unable to get it tuned right (I want it in drop c), and the face plate ends up to high.

Can someone please help??

Cheers

I know someone who can help...

...it's the big giant sticky at the top of the forum that says 'New&Improved FR Setup Guide'.
and the floyd rose website as a pretty good guide for setting up your FR
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
It's actually quite simply IMO. All you are doing is balancing the tension btw the strings and springs attached to the trem block. The easiest way to set up a Floyd and avoid what seems like an endless cycle of tuning, ajusting spring tension, tuning, adjusting, etc.... is the below method.

1. Find something to wedge btw the back of the Trem Block and the guitar body that will put the Floyd's baseplate level in relation to the top of the guitar. I use a wedge shaped piece of 2x4 allowing a pretty infinity range. You are pre-setting the Floyd's baseplate where it should be when all is said and done.

2. With the wedge/block in place, loosen claw screws a good amount. The wedge/block prevents the strings from pulling the Floyd forward and the baseplate remains level to the body.

3. Tune the guitar to whatever you want.

4. Since you loosened the claw screws in step 2 the springs will be too loose in comparison to the string tension and the wedge/block will still have a lot of force against it from the string tension.

5. Tighten the claw strings until the wedge/block can easilly be removed (no force on it) and remove it. You've now balanced the spring tension to that of the strings and the bridge plate should still be level with the guitar.

6. Check your tuning. Adjust using the claw screws until you are back in tune.

This method makes setting up a Floyd simple due to the fact that you are adjusting the string tension and spring tension independently from one another until the VERY end when everything is about 98% done.

Here's the little wedge of wood I use....