I've put my old ESP pickups into my friends Epi LP Special II. It's turned out to be more trouble than it was worth because the stock pickups it had only had two wires (hot and ground) rather than the usual five. This meant the rest of it was wired weirdly so I ended up rewiring the whole thing. It works now, but it is really trebly, slightly weak and the tone control does not work at all.

This is the diagram I followed and I cannot fault what I have done in any way:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w

I'm thinking the tone control is being completely bypassed and this is why it is so trebly. But the output is wired to the tone so something must be working with it right? Could it be a problem with the resistance of the pot with these pickups? The capacitor? Any suggestions?
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
i recently had the same issue. my wiring wasa lot more simple, as my pickups only have 2 wires. however when i got done, my tone was bypassed. the problem is that i did not run a ground from the tone pot to the ground on the volume pot. i really dont know much about eletronics, but that seemed to make it work. did you do that?
Quote by sammo_boi
I've put my old ESP pickups into my friends Epi LP Special II. It's turned out to be more trouble than it was worth because the stock pickups it had only had two wires (hot and ground) rather than the usual five. This meant the rest of it was wired weirdly so I ended up rewiring the whole thing. It works now, but it is really trebly, slightly weak and the tone control does not work at all.

This is the diagram I followed and I cannot fault what I have done in any way:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w

I'm thinking the tone control is being completely bypassed and this is why it is so trebly. But the output is wired to the tone so something must be working with it right? Could it be a problem with the resistance of the pot with these pickups? The capacitor? Any suggestions?

The usual for stock pickups is two wires.
What did you change wiring wise? Seems like you need to go back.

I'm guessing you've wired the new pickups out of phase and hense the thin, squwaking sound.

You need to post up pictures of what you have done.

The wiring diagram that you posted has no relevence for installing EMG pickups.
This is for Seymour Duncans, the wiring colour assignments are most likely different.