Hi UG.

I'm in the market for a half stack and my local Long and Mcquade has a "no interest financing" thing going on for a couple months. I'm interested in these amps. Just looking for some pros/cons of both regarding playing Death Metal. Do they both need a boost to get into Death territory? Which one do you guys prefer and why? Talk me out of it, talk me into it.

Thanks,

Steve
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Which do you prefer though Chuck?
Neither one of those would be anywhere close on a list of amps I'd choose for Death Metal.

What's wrong with your 5150? It will completely rape both those amps for what you want. I thought you were going to get a Vetta, or a Warp X?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
My 5150 won't switch channels and I would have to send it out to have it repaired. Also, I'm looking for a half stack because for me, it's easier to transport. I'm going through all my options right now and gathering research on a lot of heads. I want to choose the one that's right for me obviously and UG is the best way to do that IMO.
Quote by DroptuneD
My 5150 won't switch channels and I would have to send it out to have it repaired. Also, I'm looking for a half stack because for me, it's easier to transport. I'm going through all my options right now and gathering research on a lot of heads. I want to choose the one that's right for me obviously and UG is the best way to do that IMO.

Why not just get it fixed? It wouldn't cost more than an entirely new amp, would it?
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Your 5150 should do Death Metal better than the other amps mentioned so far, in fact if you didnt already have one it would have surely been reccomended to you by now.
JCM-800 needs a HUGE boost to get it into death metal territory , and using a boost usually covers the natural characteristics of the amp , which isn't good in this case , at top gain level it it a bit heavier than AC/DC , probably GN'R sort of area.
Dual Rectifier or H+K Switchblade for the kind of tone your after maybe ?

hope that helps
Looking for bandmates , jamming partners in Aberdeen , Scotland , pm please.

09 MIA Tele
Ridgewood LP Custom Copy

Marshall MG30FX
Blackstar HT-Dual
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Quote by SeamusSlash
JCM-800 needs a HUGE boost to get it into death metal territory , and using a boost usually covers the natural characteristics of the amp , which isn't good in this case , at top gain level it it a bit heavier than AC/DC , probably GN'R sort of area.

+1

It would need a decent boost to make it a desireable death metal amp IMO.
A head and cab is easier for me to transport because I can carry both of them comfortably by myself up 3 flights of stairs. A 90 LB combo not so much. To get it fixed I was quoted at least 400$ (CAD). I bought the 5150 212 for 600$ (CAD). That means it would be a total of 1000$ I payed for a 5150 212. I've been wanting to upgrade to a half stack for awhile now because the huge and heavy combo is such a pain to move by myself. I DO NOT want a half stack for the looks if anybody was going to say that.
Fix your 5150.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Why not be a horrible person and sell on the 5150 on CL or something? Flog someone a broken amp, take the money and buy a 5150 and a cab?

EDIT: Or fix it? If you so wish you can always just get a new head cabinet later on and make it a head & a 2x12.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Last edited by SimplyBen at May 19, 2010,
Quote by 04rumbola
Alexi Laiho uses JCM-800s...

Where do you guys get your information from!? I've been a fan of CoB for about 7 years now and as long as I've been into them he has used Lee Jackson preamps and VHT poweramps.

TS: Whats your budget? I can think of plenty of amps that would work better depending on how much you're willing to spend.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Where do you guys get your information from!? I've been a fan of CoB for about 7 years now and as long as I've been into them he has used Lee Jackson preamps and VHT poweramps.

http://www.uberproaudio.com/content/view/210/38/
He did use them for awhile. But the past 2 times I've seen them...both he and Roope were playing ENGLs through marshall cabs.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
UPA is a joke - I've gone on there before and what they had listed wasn't even close to what the person actually used.

OK. Well you must not have read the rest of my post...
A repair like that probably shouldn't cost $400. Take it somewhere else. And, for the last time, DON'T FINANCE GEAR PURCHASES. And the JCM800 sucks for death metal. Seriously, you have one of the quintessential modern death metal amps already, no reason to get rid of it. Let me put it this way. You can either get the 5150 fixed and end up spending $1000 on it (probably less, that repair cost sounds ridiculous) or you can buy the 800 or 900 plus a cab new for, what, $1500? and then try to unload a broken 5150 on craigslist or whatever you have and barely get anything for it. If you fix the 5150, you'll have spent more than you wanted to on it, but you'll still have spent wayyyy less than you will on the JCM800 or 900 and you'll have a much better amp for death metal. And, I will repeat, DON'T FINANCE GEAR PURCHASES.
Quote by eyebanez333
OK. Well you must not have read the rest of my post...

I did. I'm just saying that the site is often times inaccurate so I don't know why anyone references it.
I have to send the 5150 to a Peavey dealer because the repair is beyond what my normal guy can do. I'll have to pay for shipping and the repair and it came out to around 400$. I plan on using it for awhile still, I can get a good enough tone out of the rhythm channel with the crunch engaged. In the future though, I am definitely investing in a half stack. I might even keep the 5150 as a backup. The general consensus so far is stay the eff away from the JCM's.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I did. I'm just saying that the site is often times inaccurate so I don't know why anyone references it.

I'm not going to argue that...but a lot of artist's rigs are very accurate on that site (hard to argue with gig pics of the artist playing the gear). You can find plenty of other sites that reference Alexi using ENGL amps recently. I don't need anymore proof. I've seen it for myself...twice...within the past three years. Studio rigs are different from live rigs in a lot of cases...so it's also important to remember that when trying to track down what each band uses.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at May 19, 2010,
Quote by DroptuneD
I have to send the 5150 to a Peavey dealer because the repair is beyond what my normal guy can do. I'll have to pay for shipping and the repair and it came out to around 400$. I plan on using it for awhile still, I can get a good enough tone out of the rhythm channel with the crunch engaged. In the future though, I am definitely investing in a half stack. I might even keep the 5150 as a backup. The general consensus so far is stay the eff away from the JCM's.

So how much is the actual repair then?

Seems to me like you could just take the chassis out of the amp and ship that instead. Would be A LOT cheaper than sending a giant 90 lb combo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by eyebanez333
I'm not going to argue that...but a lot of artist's rigs are very accurate on that site (hard to argue with gig pics of the artist playing the gear). You can find plenty of other sites that reference Alexi using ENGL amps recently. I don't need anymore proof. I've seen it for myself...twice...within the past three years. Studio rigs are different from live rigs in a lot of cases...so it's also important to remember that when trying to track down what each band uses.

I wasn't arguing with you lol. I was saying that I've never seen him or heard of him using JCM800's outside of the occasional internet forum gossip (well... I dunno if gossip is the correct term, but I can't think of anything else to put lol).

He's always used high gain amps (which is why he's always gone the route of passive pickups) and the 800 isn't high gain unless its modded or boosted.
I say sell the combo to some sucker on CL, ebay or whatever and buy a 5150 head and 2x12 cab.

Or get the combo fixed and then mod it into a separate head and cab.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I would say fix your 5150 or if you really want a half stack get a 6505 head and a Mesa cab. I could reccommend you a bunch of different amps but when it comes to metal you already have one of the best.