I hate pick scrapes..you buy a shiny new guitar and after the first time you play it,pick SCRAPES...I'm planning on buying my second J.custom and I need something to protect it from pick scrapes..like a transparent thin film or something....note the transparent film in this guitar,just below the pickups..something like that..IS there any place where I can buy them..but shouldnot leave any adhesive residue behind..

Last edited by archenemyfan at May 19, 2010,
Ok I'll start by saying that is a very nice guitar indeed and I agree that you should protect it...
But i find unless you're punching the guitar or something similar I don't get any pick scratches, it might just be me I don't know
Um you might find that you need to work on your technique and accuracy,

i dont have pick guards on any of my guitars and i dont have that problem...

Maybe go for an S with an arch top if you are having that much trouble? Instead of the flatop RG's

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Omg thats lush

And use your fingers :P

Sorry i have no idea.
Leukemia Skywalker
Quote by Tom 1.0

Maybe go for an S with an arch top if you are having that much trouble? Instead of the flatop RG's

yeah there might be a problem with my technique..but scratches happen only when I'm strumming...Honestly I dont have much scratches on my j.custom but I play it rarely and I play it with extreme care..But I have got tired of that and I want to be more comfortable when i'm playing....maybe buy a prestige and just dont care about the finish?how will you find the new prestiges standup to scratches..The last prestige I've bought is a 2007 one
Last edited by archenemyfan at May 19, 2010,
I agree with Tom 1.0, I don't have pickguards on any of my guitars (except for my acoustic), and I don't have any pickscratches...
"I'm not retreating, I'm initiating an offensive manouvre in the opposite direction!"
Nice guitar but their ment to be played, scratches happen. if you want to keep it in showroom condition dont play it, its as simple as that.....besides the scratches,dings and nicks add flavor....PLAY IT !!!!
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Quote by Opethfan1
Nice guitar but their ment to be played, scratches happen. if you want to keep it in showroom condition dont play it, its as simple as that.....besides the scratches,dings and nicks add flavor....PLAY IT !!!!

Mmm..yeah i think I got stop worrying you know..but thats a lot of money so I am just IDK greedy??

does installing those things ruin the finish of the guitar?
Other than pickguards themselves, Guitar Center used to sell a sealant that doesn't hurt the paint that basically just adds a clear layer that protects the body of the guitar until it rubs off and you buy some more. Obviously if you're throwing it against walls and such, this won't help very much, but you get the point. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the product was called, but if I come across it, I'll tell you.
- K
Kramer EVH 5150
'85 Kramer Baretta Reissue
Randall KH120RHS Hammet Stack
BOSS OD-20
BOSS GT-10
George Lynch Dragon Wah
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah
Look at the Auto Market. There's a film protector for the hood that's applied in place of a hood deflector which could later be removed. There are also film products that can be applied over glass that you can buy relatively cheap. These would make nice, easy to remove or change, pickguards!
Moving on.....
Quote by Dempsey68

Dempsey posted what you're looking for, altenatly you can try your local body shop for "clear bra" or your local aviation parts supplier for "prop tape"

It's all the same stuff, clear thick (about 50thou) plastic with a semi-strong but removable adhesive backing.

My only concern would be leaving your guitar in direct sunlight for too long as it may fade the finish differently under your new "pick guard" then the un covered parts. You'll probably have to replace your new pick guard once every few months though. I wouldn't stress about the fading unless you leave the thing in direct sunlight for hours a day though...
My Gear:

Guitar #1: 1997 Fender MIM Strat
Guitar #2: 2007 Epi SG (G-310)

Effects: Roland DS-1 Distortion (for switching in distortion quickly, NOT cause I want a "l33t brootalz tonz!")
Amp: Roland Microcube
Quote by Dempsey68

that has a mylar finish and will damage the guitar.

i suggest you use a static type product. i think there are guitar condoms, used for buckle rash. maybe mod one for the front.

that or something from an auto store like Ken suggested.

edit:
http://www.guitarcondom.com/

also there are guitar skins, maybe they sell clear ones for your model. you'd have to google for the best site.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at May 19, 2010,
You can buy a piece of clear lexan .010 or .020 thick at a Hobby shop or Craft store for under $5.00 . It can be cut with a heavy set of scissors or shears into any shape you like & it will protect your guitar pluss you won't see it.

If you don't want to put screw's you can attatch it with a couple pieces of that clear double stick tape. When you waqnt to remove it, just use a hair dryer to heat up the tape and it will come right off.Use Goo gone or something like that if there is any adhesive left.
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
Last edited by dngrsdave at May 19, 2010,
Quote by Tom 1.0

If you're just shredding then yeah, I'd agree, but if you're playing chordal work or heavy blues where you have to really wail on the guitar, then you're bound to pick up some marks over time.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay