Im going to buy either an american standard or american special telecaster,

Which one do you guys like the best and why?
KoL

"Me AnD yOuR cOlD dRiViNg In ThE sNoW, LeT tHe GoOd TiMeS rOLL"
American Standard is supposed to be better. American Special is meant to be a cheaper one, but with the quality of American building (as opposed to mexican built fenders). Whether that means a whole lot I don't know, I haven't played them both enough. Basically the Special will have cheaper parts. Not squier cheap, but not the top end stuff either.
Quote by Ali-b912
American Standard is supposed to be better. American Special is meant to be a cheaper one, but with the quality of American building (as opposed to mexican built fenders). Whether that means a whole lot I don't know, I haven't played them both enough. Basically the Special will have cheaper parts. Not squier cheap, but not the top end stuff either.

yeah thats what i was kind of thinking. I think the special has the tex-mex pickups, have u had much experience of these?

I like the bridge on the standard better aswell, its just an extra 200 quid though thats putting me off,

3 tone sun burst, and maple neck though, cant beat it!
KoL

Quote by grantburgh
yeah thats what i was kind of thinking. I think the special has the tex-mex pickups, have u had much experience of these?

I like the bridge on the standard better aswell, its just an extra 200 quid though thats putting me off,

3 tone sun burst, and maple neck though, cant beat it!

I'm not big on Fenders technically unfortunately. I'm 90% sure Tex-Mex pickups are quite hot and are supposed to pull a really good texas blues tone. Of course they'll do most things short of death metal. Clean tones might not come out good on them though, depending on what you're going for.
I cannot comment on the differences between the American Standard and American Special when it comes to telecasters. From my experience owning an American Standard Strat and a MIM Telecaster Standard, the build quality difference isn't as stark as you would think for 2x the cost. The tonal differences are tough for me to comment on because they are different guitars, but after dropping $1500 between a MIA and MIM I don't think the double price difference is as justified as most internet forums would have you believe. For long term value holding you might be best advised to go with the Standard, but $200 is $200.

I guess the real question you need to ask yourself is this:
If you get the special will you wish that you had waited to get the standard?

Then again, questions like that always lead me to spending more money than I had originally intended.
Most people so far seem to be making the assumption that in all aspects the Special is a lower-end version of the standard. For the most part this is true, but there are two parts that, to some, myself included, put it above a modern standard; the neck, which is an immensely preferential thing so I'll just say to try yourself and see, and the electronics, which have the greasebucket circuit to keep it from getting bleh and muddy, and the Texas Special pickups, which I love for being what I always hunted in single-coils; single-coils with balls. You really need to compare the two in-person.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by necrosis1193
Most people so far seem to be making the assumption that in all aspects the Special is a lower-end version of the standard. For the most part this is true, but there are two parts that, to some, myself included, put it above a modern standard; the neck, which is an immensely preferential thing so I'll just say to try yourself and see, and the electronics, which have the greasebucket circuit to keep it from getting bleh and muddy, and the Texas Special pickups, which I love for being what I always hunted in single-coils; single-coils with balls. You really need to compare the two in-person.

yeah, thatnks for the info,,, this is basically what I was thinking,,

I do like the bridge better on the standard, but for the extra money, I realy don't think the standard is that much better tone wise, il try them both in the shop,, though I will be buying online probably, which could b another adventure in itself...
KoL

I would recommend buying the Special, then replacing the bridge with the one you like.

Should cost way less than the extra $200 or so.
ok, let's take care of the misinformation first.

Tex Mex Pickups =/= Texas Special Pickups.

Tex mex pups are found on many MIM fenders. Texas Specials are on the American Specials.

The difference is $200 (in the US, looks like the same difference by you). 100 of that can be allocated to the Fender SKB hardshell that the standard comes with. The special comes with a gig bag.

The Special gets the old style tele bridge, which some prefer and others don't. That's a preference thing, tele purists will say the new standard bridge is an insult to all things telecaster. Others will argue intonation is easier on a 6 saddle system. Nobody is right or wrong there.

So as with most guitars it comes down to the neck. i like the neck on the standards a lot better but again, that's a preference thing.

Considering most stores will knock 10% off in store guitars, you could get an american standard for 910, or a special for 730.

my thought is you need to try these out and see which side of these differences you prefer.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.