Page 2 of 2
Quote by dahelunover
Using only the effects loop on the amp will never take the preamp out of an amp. You are only either introducing a signal between the preamp & power amp or adding additional signal along with your preamp into the power amp(this way the preamp signal is not coloured at all). This is the purpose of an effects loop on an amp. Try researching on google if you want to, I know it since I'm used to it daily.

I don't think you understand effects loops as well as you think you do... The effects send is the direct out from the preamp, the effects return is a direct in for the power amp. So if you go into the guitar input on one amp then out of the effects send you've isolated that preamp. Now by going into the effects return on a second amp you've completely skipped the preamp of that second amp (so yes you did take the preamp out of the chain completely.)

The only thing an effects loop can possibly do is put something (an effect) between the preamp and power amp... This whole thing about 'adding additional signal along with your preamp into the power amp' is just a second way of saying the same thing, and it does absolutely color the preamp tone... Which is why I think you're confused.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I don't think you understand effects loops as well as you think you do... The effects send is the direct out from the preamp, the effects return is a direct in for the power amp. So if you go into the guitar input on one amp then out of the effects send you've isolated that preamp. Now by going into the effects return on a second amp you've completely skipped the preamp of that second amp (so yes you did take the preamp out of the chain completely.)

The only thing an effects loop can possibly do is put something (an effect) between the preamp and power amp... This whole thing about 'adding additional signal along with your preamp into the power amp' is just a second way of saying the same thing, and it does absolutely color the preamp tone... Which is why I think you're confused.

Lol. Okie
See, do you know that certain amps have different types of effects loop? Mine has the option to either select a series or parallel one. If you amp has
1. Side-chain loop, the return signal is mixed with the dry signal, the level of FX-return is controlled by the FX-level return control. This way you can mix the dry signal & effects signal.
2. Insert-loop, the return signal is buffered and sent directly to the output tubes, no mixing with the dry signal occurs. The wet/dry mix is adjusted within the external fx unit.

So well lol okay i'm not exactly sure which one of the above two is series & parallel cause well I still need to figure that out on my amp. But anyways, the point is that my fx loops function this way.

What you said wasn't wrong either but it wasn't "slaving" in general. Unless you are able to get the preamp out from the second amp that is if you connect a cable into the effects send of the second amp only then will the preamp signal be out of the chain for that amp, but this will work only with a certain type of effect loop & not all amps have the option of both type of loops, like i mentioned above.
Okay the blend thing is news to me... I've never seen an amp with that feature, so I apologize for that.

I don't get the last paragraph though... You can't put anything into the effects send... That's why its the send. If you plug a guitar into an effects return on an amp you are only using the power amp... Are you saying that unless something is plugged into the effects send it is still sending the preamp signal through, just with the addition of whatever is coming into the effects return? Because that's not true, at least on any effects loop I've used (I have to admit the feature laden loops, such as Mesas hadn't occurred to me.) Every loop I've used sends the signal out the effects send anytime something is plugged into the effects return, so if nothing is plugged into the send you're not getting any preamp signal at all...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Okay the blend thing is news to me... I've never seen an amp with that feature, so I apologize for that.

I don't get the last paragraph though... You can't put anything into the effects send... That's why its the send. If you plug a guitar into an effects return on an amp you are only using the power amp... Are you saying that unless something is plugged into the effects send it is still sending the preamp signal through, just with the addition of whatever is coming into the effects return? Because that's not true, at least on any effects loop I've used (I have to admit the feature laden loops, such as Mesas hadn't occurred to me.) Every loop I've used sends the signal out the effects send anytime something is plugged into the effects return, so if nothing is plugged into the send you're not getting any preamp signal at all...

Don't have to apologise, it's cool.
Uhh I'm not sure about the last para myself too lol. But i was wondering that there should be something that was just taking the effect send from the amp, e.g. an empty cable maybe that's just lying around, so that anything before it is bypassed. The thing is that mine has the option of series, parallel & bypass, so unless I don't have the switch set to bypass I doubt the loop is out of my chain even if i have a cable running in the effects return So I can't make exact sense about that part...
Quote by dahelunover
Don't have to apologise, it's cool.
Uhh I'm not sure about the last para myself too lol. But i was wondering that there should be something that was just taking the effect send from the amp, e.g. an empty cable maybe that's just lying around, so that anything before it is bypassed. The thing is that mine has the option of series, parallel & bypass, so unless I don't have the switch set to bypass I doubt the loop is out of my chain even if i have a cable running in the effects return So I can't make exact sense about that part...

Ya the switching throws me off, but when I used to bypass the preamp (because I was running a muti-fx directly into the power amp) I'd just plug into the effects return as if it were the instrument input. This would leave the preamp out completely, but it sounds like your amp is a bit more complex...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by fly135
If you have a mix control on your FX loop then it's a parallel FX loop.

Thank YOU!!! Finally, nowI know what "side-chain" refers to lol The image of circuit diagrams containing resistors used to pop in my head everytime I came across the word series & parallel.

Quote by tubetime86
Ya the switching throws me off, but when I used to bypass the preamp (because I was running a muti-fx directly into the power amp) I'd just plug into the effects return as if it were the instrument input. This would leave the preamp out completely, but it sounds like your amp is a bit more complex...

What fx unit was it & what amp was it that you were using it with?
Quote by dahelunover
What fx unit was it & what amp was it that you were using it with?

A shitty RP50 and a IMO shitty Peavey Windsor. Things have changed a lot since those days.

Edit: Would you believe me if I told you my favorite set-up at the time was the AC-30 model on the RP50 into the power amp of the Windsor?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
A shitty RP50 and a IMO shitty Peavey Windsor. Things have changed a lot since those days.
Edit: Would you believe me if I told you my favorite set-up at the time was the AC-30 model on the RP50 into the power amp of the Windsor?

The RP 50, uhh oh yeah things have reached to RP500 now, actually RP1000 lol
No experience with the windsor, only heard that it was difficult to get cleans out of it Those AC30 modelled cleans must have sounded godly back then

Anyways, well I wonder which amps the TS actually wanted/thought to "slave" together
EDIT: Oh it was probably an MG15 & AC30 from his OP
Last edited by dahelunover at May 20, 2010,
Quote by Wikipedia
Eric Johnson is best known for playing stock Fender Stratocaster and Gibson ES-335 electric guitars through a triple amp setup that consists of Fender Amplifiers, Dumble Amplifiers, and Marshall amplification.

All you have to do is use the line out, or maybe the headphone jack on the amp.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Page 2 of 2