Page 1 of 2
This isnt directed towards anyone here, but is food for thought, and a general commentary on a disturbing trend. I hate hypocrasy.

This nostalgia over has beens in music, hypocrisy is killing me, so this is going to be one and out.

I get Ronnie James Dio is dead, but this current sappy RIP you'll be missed is just plain poser-ish.

RJD is now going to be played everywhere. Where was he when he was alive, a has been that was in the dusty shoe box of most peoples minds. So now all his YouTube Videos are going to be watched, etc. Its sad and stupid....if he was all that then do it when he's alive...who's next? Wierd Al...ya gonna miss him too? Pauly Shore? The same thing just happened with Peter Steele, Type O Negative's lead singer. Give it a rest already, world and keep it real.

We are a consumerist society, when we are done with people we stop buying their records, we stop caring what they have to say, this is what we do...lets not decieve ourselves. RJD was anything but current or relevant to the vast majority of people these days. Its sad that he passed, but spare the pomp and circumstance.

Has beens are has beens, you wont miss them when they are gone if you never gave them much thought when they were here. Now if you were a die hard RJD fan, thats one thing, you have something...but if you werent, then stop posing, like he was someone. For most neither he nor Peter from TON were...Now Eric Clapton, Slash, they had a far more reach musically and culturally so when they are gone, its understandable, but when you take has beens that havent even scratched the scene, and say you'll be missed, I gag.

My take, yours may differ. But hey I never joined to be popular with people. I will keep it real though...

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at May 19, 2010,
People remember dead people as way of saying thank you.
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
I believe that most people say, RIP out of respect for the man that did indeed change the culture of rock/metal monumentally. You cant knock that. Though I do see your point that people seem to care more after someone has died, like MJ, though the saying is 'You dont realise what you've got, untill its gone.'
Quote by stef123
People remember dead people as way of saying thank you.

Exactly
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I wasn't a 'die hard' Dio or Sabbath fan, doesn't mean I can't show my respect and say thank you to Dio for the music he gave us.
DO IT LIVE
youre a hypocrit and a walking contradiction. your saying you dont get why people are dickriding a dead dio BUT you would dickride clapton or slash if they died because of theyre musical contribution. Maybe you dont know anything about dio's contribution because you play acoustic jack johnson songs and listen to bright eyes all day.
Most people in the world didn't know anyone in the twin towers on that faithful day, especially not in Denmark where I happen to live. Still, we had to have a minute of silence to remember those who died. Why you may ask? Respect.

When Dimebag got shot on stage in 2004, A lot of people dusted their copies of Panteras music off and listened to it again. Why? Respect.

Les Paul too. Only a few people have ever heard his music, but still write "RIP" when he died. Out of respect.

And sure, it may seem a little over the top with all the "RIP Dio, you were the best, You invented metal" from everyone between 12 to 99 years old that didn't even listen to his music, but they knew what he did, they knew that he was one of the Martin Luthers of music, and they knew he was awesome.

My .2

- Martin
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Quote by demon.guitarist
I believe that most people say, RIP out of respect for the man that did indeed change the culture of rock/metal monumentally. You cant knock that. Though I do see your point that people seem to care more after someone has died, like MJ, though the saying is 'You dont realise what you've got, untill its gone.'

Exactly right. I get the thank you part. But you also make my point that no one cares till you're gone...

That is hypocrisy. Most people that are going to post never cared to begin with ....why now?

If you think Im wrong, how many of those who say they will "miss him" will be able to name more than 2 Dio songs that aren't Rainbow in the Dark, or Holy Diver, without Googling?
I read until the weird Al part and then stopped....HELL YEAH I'M GONNA MISS THE GUY WHEN HE LEAVES US!
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by cainmd
youre a hypocrit and a walking contradiction. your saying you dont get why people are dickriding a dead dio BUT you would dickride clapton or slash if they died because of theyre musical contribution. Maybe you dont know anything about dio's contribution because you play acoustic jack johnson songs and listen to bright eyes all day.

"acoustic jack johnson songs" are rather cool... nothing wrong with Jack at all... I find his songs quite difficult... probably cos I'm a noob... but yeah... thats not a nice thing to say to sean... It sounds like you had a few tissues around you when you typed that... Are you ok? Sure? Need some tea?

I wish i could play Jack's songs... cos I never wanted to play a Dio song... even though i loved his voice... and appreciated all he did... cancer's a bitch to fight... but yeah, read the post for what it is... not a dismissal...
Quote by cainmd

Listen,

I'm 41. I grew up on 80's metal. I know more about the scene than you'll ever. I was at GnR's first gig, when they were with Faster Pussycat and LA Guns on a Thursday night in Hollywood, when their first song was Paradise City( before they even wrote their Acoustic Intro) in Hollywood. I knew dudes from bands like Bang Tango, Dangerous Toys...know what I am saying?

People evolve. I teach guys to be dangerous on the guitar. Anything I ever wanted to do in rock, I did. At 39 I decided I wanted to learn to sing, and went to my acoustic roots. I had Dio on Cassette, but I can say that he's not been a part of my listening circle in years. I can say he was a great singer and leave it at that. Do I miss him? No, I can only appreciate for what he did.

Thats not hypocrisy.
Quote by cainmd

Why do people have to make things personal to try and make a point? That last line is really just unneededly provacative. You could have just said, maybe you wern't aware of what dio really did for the metal community, you should look into it. There would be a lot less flame wars and a lot more mature people if otehrs took the high road once in a while.

BUT

I understand what the TS is talking about. Dio, not the best example, and UG, not the best place to try to use Dio as an example. The man did make major contributions to metal, and though i'm not a hardcore RJD fan, i'll NEVER turn the radio when i hear Dio come on. Though dio wasn't make the kind of world changing things he made in metal, he was still playing music, and still doing his thing. I wouldn't call him a has been, social effects on the music scene just made him less popular
Last edited by Nickyshane at May 19, 2010,
Quote by Sean0913
Exactly right. I get the thank you part. But you also make my point that no one cares till you're gone...

That is hypocrisy. Most people that are going to post never cared to begin with ....why now?

If you think Im wrong, how many of those who say they will "miss him" will be able to name more than 2 Dio songs that aren't Rainbow in the Dark, or Holy Diver, without Googling?

See, now your straying from your point, the people who may have only heard holy diver and rainbow in the dark, just because they don't know the whole discography, dosn't mean they don't miss him. You can't assume someone is a poser if they don't have his whole tracklisting memorized. They liked what they heard, and enjoyed it, and are now sad that the creator of it is gone. It's not hypocritical, hypocritical is when MJ died, all the people who HATED him, with a passion, and called him a child molester, started to cry about how he was gone. THAT is hypocrisy
ok, sean, this is just stupid. You're calling him irrelevant? Do you have any idea how big Heaven and Hell has been for the two years that they've been touring? Their shows were incredible, and they always played to huge crowds. It's not like they were a few "has beens" as you call it, coming back to play crappy clubs (Mind you, i'm not saying anything is wrong with that, i'm just trying to portray sean's opinion).

Dio has been incredibly relevant, especially in the very recent years. In the past couple of years, Dio has played to millions of fans. You're telling me that those people, including me, are hypocrites because we are expressing our gratitude for him and his music? That's idiotic.

Also, why are you comparing him to slash and EC? Sure they're gonna be celebrated when they die, but they will also be celebrated much more, because of the reach they had with their music compared to DIO. It's like when Les Paul died, and there was media coverage on that for like a day, but when Michael Jackson died, it was a 3 month media fiasco! It's proportionate to how many people cared about that person while they were alive, and that should make you happy.

It's incredibly insulting for you to call people us hypocrites. You're not right at all in saying that, and if you don't particularly care about what Dio accomplished throughout his life, who cares? Just let his fans mourn and respect him, and leave us the Hell alone.
Listen,

I'm 41. I grew up on 80's metal. I know more about the scene than you'll ever. I was at GnR's first gig, when they were with Faster Pussycat and LA Guns on a Thursday night in Hollywood, when their first song was Paradise City( before they even wrote their Acoustic Intro) in Hollywood. I knew dudes from bands like Bang Tango, Dangerous Toys...know what I am saying?

QUOTE]

Sorry, but this is just bad. You're saying you know about dio, and 80's metal in general, because you grew up on LA hair metal? Nowhere near the same thing man. That's just one small group of bands in the huge history of metal.
I think making it personal, especially when you never would've known the person in question is stupidly selfish, poser-ish and makes you seem ignorant and sirespectful to the situation.

Having said that, he was one of the best metal singers in history, and as such, a lot of people knew him as the voice of Sabbath, Rainbow, DIO, and lately H+H.

I get what you mean OP, and i know you're not trying to be rude, but, the guy died less than a week ago, & a lot of people who loved his music/voice/whatever obviously want to show respect by saying RIP/whatever. I agree, some people go overboard, and that no-one seems to know what they have 'til it's gone, but that's the way it seems to have panned out tbh.

Might be worth noting though, that i can't see this causing Michael Jackson-like ripples in the mainstream, probably just on metal stations/in Classic Rock/Metal Hammer etc.
Quote by martyr1130
ok, sean, this is just stupid. You're calling him irrelevant? Do you have any idea how big Heaven and Hell has been for the two years that they've been touring? Their shows were incredible, and they always played to huge crowds. It's not like they were a few "has beens" as you call it, coming back to play crappy clubs (Mind you, i'm not saying anything is wrong with that, i'm just trying to portray sean's opinion).

Dio has been incredibly relevant, especially in the very recent years. In the past couple of years, Dio has played to millions of fans. You're telling me that those people, including me, are hypocrites because we are expressing our gratitude for him and his music? That's idiotic.

Also, why are you comparing him to slash and EC? Sure they're gonna be celebrated when they die, but they will also be celebrated much more, because of the reach they had with their music compared to DIO. It's like when Les Paul died, and there was media coverage on that for like a day, but when Michael Jackson died, it was a 3 month media fiasco! It's proportionate to how many people cared about that person while they were alive, and that should make you happy.

It's incredibly insulting for you to call people us hypocrites. You're not right at all in saying that, and if you don't particularly care about what Dio accomplished throughout his life, who cares? Just let his fans mourn and respect him, and leave us the Hell alone.

Obviously his fans will mourn and respect him. The fact that you know he was on tour for the last 2 years sort of underscores that point. I know he had fans, and Im not decrying that. I'm talking about those who didnt give him a second thought till he was gone, and jump on the bandwagon. I'm not calling you a hypocrite, because you are clearly a fan. You could name more than 2 songs also...

I posted this topic and it contains my viewpoint. My viewpoint doesn't change whether or not I post it or not. You are responding to my view with yours, but actually people like you aren't who this topic was directed towards. Truly you have someone to mourn and miss. The commentary is more towards those who never gave a damn when he was still with us. And to the vast majority of people that would be the case. I think KSE had a hand in that popularity in recent times also because of their cover of Holy Diver.

That's not even disrespectful, I think its keeping it real and sincere. If he was someone to you then by all means, but if he only was when he's dead and its the flavor of the moment...get real.
Last edited by Sean0913 at May 19, 2010,
Quote by Sean0913
Obviously his fans will mourn and respect him. The fact that you know he was on tour for the last 2 years sort of underscores that point. I know he had fans, and Im not decrying that. I'm talking about those who didnt give him a second thought till he was gone, and jump on the bandwagon. I'm not calling you a hypocrite, because you are clearly a fan. You could name more than 2 songs also...

I posted this topic and it contains my viewpoint. My viewpoint doesn't change whether or not I post it or not. You are responding to my view with yours, but actually people like you aren't who this topic was directed towards. Truly you have someone to mourn and miss. The commentary is more towards those who never gave a damn when he was still with us. And to the vast majority of people that would be the case.

That's not even disrespectful, I think its keeping it real and sincere. If he was someone to you then by all means, but if he only was when he's dead and its the flavor of the moment...get real.

Well I'm sorry, but i'm not seeing that. I'm not seeing tons of people jumping on the bandwagon like when MJ died. And so what if someone has forgotten about Dio in recent years? What if Dio inspired you to start singing, or one of his songs inspired you to play guitar? Even If you moved on to another form of music, you would still feel sad when the man dies, because he inspired you. So I think that point of yours is irrelevant.
Quote by Sean0913
This isnt directed towards anyone here, but is food for thought, and a general commentary on a disturbing trend. I hate hypocrasy.

This nostalgia over has beens in music, hypocrisy is killing me, so this is going to be one and out.

I get Ronnie James Dio is dead, but this current sappy RIP you'll be missed is just plain poser-ish.

RJD is now going to be played everywhere. Where was he when he was alive, a has been that was in the dusty shoe box of most peoples minds. So now all his YouTube Videos are going to be watched, etc. Its sad and stupid....if he was all that then do it when he's alive...who's next? Wierd Al...ya gonna miss him too? Pauly Shore? The same thing just happened with Peter Steele, Type O Negative's lead singer. Give it a rest already, world and keep it real.

We are a consumerist society, when we are done with people we stop buying their records, we stop caring what they have to say, this is what we do...lets not decieve ourselves. RJD was anything but current or relevant to the vast majority of people these days. Its sad that he passed, but spare the pomp and circumstance.

Has beens are has beens, you wont miss them when they are gone if you never gave them much thought when they were here. Now if you were a die hard RJD fan, thats one thing, you have something...but if you werent, then stop posing, like he was someone. For most neither he nor Peter from TON were...Now Eric Clapton, Slash, they had a far more reach musically and culturally so when they are gone, its understandable, but when you take has beens that havent even scratched the scene, and say you'll be missed, I gag.

My take, yours may differ. But hey I never joined to be popular with people. I will keep it real though...

Sean

So your mad that when someone famous dies people tend to make a big deal about it?

I say get over it.
shred is gaudy music
I think why people are upset is because you've only managed to get the attention mainly of people who appreciated Dio's music for more than his "Best Of's"
The posers wont bother reading this, or replying at least because theyre just posers, and don't actually consider that ontop of someone famous dying, someone's husband and close actually just died.

I dont think you're being disrespectful mate, atleast not intentionally, but it has to be said that you don't go upto fans of Dio, shortly after his passing, and mention how people are being flippant about him as people are sore from his passing and are obviously going to defend his memory and themselves to the point.
i think people just tend to take things for granted until they are gone. maybe he hasnt done much in recent years but so what? that doesnt mean people still dont listen to his music. and now that hes gone, people remember what they had. its like that saying that you dont know what you got till its gone.

personally i dont really care because i never listen to his music. but other people do and they want to pay respect to him and remember him. oh well.
Quote by Sean0913
I was at GnR's first gig, when they were with Faster Pussycat and LA Guns on a Thursday night in Hollywood, when their first song was Paradise City( before they even wrote their Acoustic Intro) in Hollywood. I knew dudes from bands like Bang Tango, Dangerous Toys...know what I am saying?
o0 you saw Faster Pussycat live?! I am sooo jealous!
Quote by Sean0913
Listen,

Quote by GuitarMunky
So your mad that when someone famous dies people tend to make a big deal about it?

I say get over it.

This.
I've never been much a fan of Dio's solo work or his work with Black Sabbath, but I've always been a huge fan of the first three Rainbow albums.

I've always respected his voice, his musicianship and him as a person.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
I listened to Dio's music when I found out he died. I suck.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
I believe that most people say, RIP out of respect for the man that did indeed change the culture of rock/metal monumentally.

i completely agree saying rip or u'll be missed is like saying we really enjoyed that person's music and would listen to any new stuff that they would have made. though they'll never see this its just respectful and for example going to someone's funeral is respectful, they'll never no u were there but u were and thats all that matters.
Before Dio died, I listened to a bit of his stuff and thought it was good, just not really my scene. Still, the day he died I listened to his music and posted in the RIP Dio thread. Am I a hypocrite? For that? I couldn't name you 2 of his songs that aren't Holy Diver and Rainbow in the Dark but I still respect him for his impact on music and his obvious talent.

I must say that although I usually like your posts here and I'm sure you're a good guy, you need to get over yourself.
Les Paul too. Only a few people have ever heard his music, but still write "RIP" when he died. Out of respect.

I dig the respect, but we're talking about the guy who...

Pioneered the solidbody electric guitar.
Invented multitrack recording.
Sold millions of albums.

Only a few people have ever heard his music?

I'd bet 90% of the stuff you've heard owes a lot to him in some way.
I just think your going through puberty lol, you know what, people die, and then we realize what they were and will be remembered as, and not what they are going to do anymore.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Quote by Sean-Man
I just think your going through puberty lol, you know what, people die, and then we realize what they were and will be remembered as, and not what they are going to do anymore.

He did mention that he was 41, right?

However, while I know there are always those who just hop on the bandwagon, there will always be those who do genuinely miss the deceased. So just remember that in the threads or articles, among the sea of RIP messages, there will always be someone who means it.
Quote by stickfigurekill
He did mention that he was 41, right?

However, while I know there are always those who just hop on the bandwagon, there will always be those who do genuinely miss the deceased. So just remember that in the threads or articles, among the sea of RIP messages, there will always be someone who means it.

Its clear that most of you "get" what I'm saying here. The point is "you don't know what you got till its gone". That's not Dio's fault, its ours collectively. And many posters in here were very astute in comparing this "wave" or trend to Michael Jackson's passing. True fans are true fans. Band wagoners are band wagoners. For those who insinuated that I had a problem with true appreciation of Dio and the place he held in rock or his skills, I'm not buying into your straw man arguments because I never said any such thing.

It's one of those "If the shoe fits wear it" kind of posts.

People hear/read into it in other ways as they want to, ultimately. That's not going to be my problem.

Yes zhilla I saw FP and LAG and GnR on the same bill at the Roxy. I still have a cassette recording from that night. GnR were not a confident, tight or very good band at all.
I don't see the problem, after all he has only just died so it's fair enough to acknowledge his passing. However I do think people posting RIP messages for people who died years ago is retarded - I'm looking at you Dime
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Sean0913

Sean

Dude Ronnie James Dio was touring with Black Sabbath again under the name Heaven and Hell. The Devil You Know, reached #8 on the charts when it was released last year. Ronnie James Dio was as relevant today as he ever was. You know what disgusts me is that when a nutcase like michael jackson dies the world comes to a stop, when Ronnie James Dio passed away he was at best a footnote on the nightly broadcasts. I think that is far more telling of whats wrong with peoples perception of music these days.

Dio was one of the greatest vocalists and songwriters metal and Rock n roll ever had. Don't underestimate just how influential this man was. Ronnie James Dio was one of the best. Maybe sometimes it takes an event like this to open peoples minds to great music, the younger generation perhaps never heard songs like Heaven and Hell, Children of the Sea, The Sign of the Southern Cross, Holy Diver, The Last in Line, etc so they never where able to appreciate it.

People can have their Lady Froo Froo, and slutty mc'autotune, but I'll take Dio over them anyday. I truly mourn for Ronnie James Dio, a class act 100% of the way.
I was actually a huge fan of Dio, so if i want to post a message in respect of him and his work i will thank you. I mean, What else do you expect? Dio had one of the most iconic voices in metal, so people are going to remember that, by playing his songs or posting something in memory of him. The "RIP" message seems very unlikely to die, so stop complaining, and just exit the page the next time, not too hard is it?
Quote by Sean0913
Now if you were a die hard RJD fan, thats one thing, you have something...but if you werent, then stop posing, like he was someone.
Stop preaching. It's annoying.

Really.

Fucking.

Annoying.

Quote by Sean0913
I know more about the scene than you'll ever.
lol. What a pretentious thing to say.
Seriously, how do you know how much that guy will EVER know?

Don't answer. It's rhetorical. You can't know, plain and simple.

Quote by Sean0913
I posted this topic and it contains my viewpoint. My viewpoint doesn't change whether or not I post it or not. You are responding to my view with yours, but actually people like you aren't who this topic was directed towards. Truly you have someone to mourn and miss. The commentary is more towards those who never gave a damn when he was still with us.
That's all you seem interested in hear. Extolling the importance of YOUR viewpoint.

PROTIP:
Forums are about discussion and exchange of ideas.

You don't seem much interested in that. Just propagation of your own thoughts. Fuck other people's opinions.

You've turned your thread into a farce.

This is blog, the way you've handled it. Nothing more.
Well, a pretentious rant, maybe. But that's still a blog.
We have a place for blogs.

Use it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Interesting...I have nothing to add but the following celebrity death stories;

Crocodile Hunter

This guy was always far more popular in America than Australia. His show was attempted in Aust, failed miserably. As a result I didn't actually see an episode of the show until I travelled the US. After his death my boss goes to me "I just can't believe he's not here anymore" with tears in her eyes. Yeah, he wasn't big in Aust anyway :P

Randy Rhodes

This hit me the most. I really loved the first two Ozzy albums and wanted to know what happened to the guitarist. After looking I found out he'd died roughly 20 years ago. Damn!

Michael Jackson

I'd purchased tickets to an MJ concert that was supposed to happen last Feb. I was very excited about the show, having purchased them in June/July last year sometime. I had to tell everyone! I did! And the response was "why? he rapes babies", and "oh yeah, is he still around?". I actually stopped telling people, because it would usually lead to me being insulted for doing such a thing. A couple of months later, he dies and everyone goes "oh my god! really? that sucks! I'm so sorry for you!".

That's all.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Oh I'll also add that even though Dio has a great voice, the latest Heaven and Hell album didn't do it for me.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Is this the guy we're talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ax6l2inTIs

Now seriously: I can sort of understand the view of TS, there will always be some morons who will post "RIP Dio" just because it makes them look like they know about music, but there will always be some that are honest.

There's a positive side of the whole "RIP XYZ" thing: i for one i'm not at all into metal, i had heard his name and knew he was somebody important in the history of metal, but i couldn't mention even a single one of his songs. However, all those "RIP" posts everywhere made me curious, so i cared enough to at least check the Wikipedia page on Dio. Now i know who he was.

His music is not my cup of tea, so i won't be getting any of his albums (and certainly won't be posting "RIP Dio" anywhere), but some people like me that didn't know him before might like him and could get some of his music, so through all that credit and respect (even though some of it is a bit phony) he reaches a new audience.

Quote by Freepower

I dig the respect, but we're talking about the guy who...

Pioneered the solidbody electric guitar.
Invented multitrack recording.

He did? In what way?
Page 1 of 2