Ancient article I know.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/129402/WORLD-CUP-MACHETE-THREAT/

Just wondering what the perception is of South Africa by people who have not been here before.

World cup is in a month or so, is there any chance I might survive? I am beginning to wonder.

*edit*

My fear of surviving is tongue in cheek and the article is not meant to be taken seriously - Its purpose is to highlight the absurdity of the viewpoint.
Last edited by gribble at May 19, 2010,
Theres dangerous places in all big cities. I heard that if you avoid the city center you should be fine.

EDIT: Oh, your talking about the whole country. My point still stands, just replace the words "big cities" with countrys.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
I tried to read the article..but I could not take my eyes off the Retro Babes ad on the right. *fap* *fap* *fap*
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by red157
The Daily Star...

Really...?

The article is absurd, that is the point - Are there really people who look at things this way?
Quote by shattamakar
I tried to read the article..but I could not take my eyes off the Retro Girl ad on the right. *fap* *fap* *fap*

I am having the same damn problem with your avatar.
Quote by mr freezy
Theres dangerous places in all big cities. I heard that if you avoid the city center you should be fine.

EDIT: Oh, your talking about the whole country. My point still stands, just replace the words "big cities" with countrys.

So avoid the centre of the country then? Sounds like a plan.
Just bring some Emerald Nuts with you to use as a diversion. After all, English Nutcases love Emerald Nuts.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Last edited by necrosis1193 at May 19, 2010,
Quote by gribble
So avoid the centre of the country then? Sounds like a plan.

Goddammit!
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
So long as every English person who goes to see the world cup is not a white supremecist. We should be fine.
Local security forces will probably manage to handle the situation well in and immediately out the stadiums.

Hotel accommodation and the night life in certain South African cities and neighborhoods may prove to be a different story, though. All those wealthy English supporters walking the streets with their wallets generously full...
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Quote by Astyan
Local security forces will probably manage to handle the situation well in and immediately out the stadiums.

Hotel accommodation and the night life in certain South African cities and neighborhoods may prove to be a different story, though. All those wealthy English supporters walking the streets with their wallets generously full...

I have had recent dealings with these local security forces and have not the slightest shred of confidence in their abilities, if I am honest.
Quote by shattamakar
I tried to read the article..but I could not take my eyes off the Retro Babes ad on the right. *fap* *fap* *fap*

I wasn't even interested in clicking that link in TS post, but after your post I had to.
I would click on that ad if my mother and sister weren't home...

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
The article is a load of shite, it can be happily ignored - I am just curious what the perception of this place is, by people who have never been here.

It can be quite dangerous though, don't misunderstand that.
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
So long as every English person who goes to see the world cup is not a white supremecist. We should be fine.

There are more whites than blacks in South Africa... okay, maybe not more, but you get the point.

@TS, street gangs are in all regions/areas in any country. They're not much of a threat unless they're more than street gangs; they plan an attack or two AND/OR your cops are more useless than the boxes of doughnuts sitting on their desks.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
Quote by red157
The Daily Star...

Really...?

Yep that pretty much sums up what I was going to say.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I don't think I've seen someone ask a serious question regarding an article in The Daily Star, until now.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Andragon
There are more whites than blacks in South Africa... okay, maybe not more, but you get the point.

@TS, street gangs are in all regions/areas in any country. They're not much of a threat unless they're more than street gangs; they plan an attack or two AND/OR your cops are more useless than the boxes of doughnuts sitting on their desks.

Our cops are beyond useless - Believe me.

Forget about street gangs but there are sadly a lot of desperate people in this place which has the effect of making it pretty dangerous.

Murders per capita:

# 1 Colombia: 0.617847 per 1,000 people
# 2 South Africa: 0.496008 per 1,000 people
# 3 Jamaica: 0.324196 per 1,000 people
# 4 Venezuela: 0.316138 per 1,000 people
# 5 Russia: 0.201534 per 1,000 people
# 6 Mexico: 0.130213 per 1,000 people
# 7 Estonia: 0.107277 per 1,000 people
# 8 Latvia: 0.10393 per 1,000 people
# 9 Lithuania: 0.102863 per 1,000 people
# 10 Belarus: 0.0983495 per 1,000 people

I am not entirely sure what you mean by there are more whites than blacks since in a country of 50 000 000 people, 80% or so are black.

Not that it should matter what colour any of us are.
Last edited by gribble at May 19, 2010,
Quote by freddaahh
I don't think I've seen someone ask a serious question regarding an article in The Daily Star, until now.

I posted the article to highlight the absurdity of the viewpoint. How is this so hard to understand?
Yea, I know. I should've said there are more whites than you think

I'm pretty sure your country's officials have at least a basic idea of how riots might go down, so I don't really see what the big deal is. There will be fights and injuries (off the pitch) regardless of the location of the games. The key is to keep it to minimum, going back to your cops' preparations part.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
Quote by gribble
I posted the article to highlight the absurdity of the viewpoint. How is this so hard to understand?

I might need a teeny tiny bit more persuasion to understand it, really. I'm still in the stage of "LOLdailystarLOL".

You did say yourself that the police in SA are useless, and showed us that the country has the second highest murder rate per capita. Whilst that may not equal machete wielding street gangs, it's easy to see how some people might be fearful, and therefore exaggerate certain rumours or anecdotes.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Andragon
Yea, I know. I should've said there are more whites than you think

I'm pretty sure your country's officials have at least a basic idea of how riots might go down, so I don't really see what the big deal is. There will be fights and injuries (off the pitch) regardless of the location of the games. The key is to keep it to minimum, going back to your cops' preparations part.

I doubt anything serious will go down.

Quote by freddaahh
I might need a teeny tiny bit more persuasion to understand it, really. I'm still in the stage of "LOLdailystarLOL".

You did say yourself that the police in SA are useless, and showed us that the country has the second highest murder rate per capita. Whilst that may not equal machete wielding street gangs, it's easy to see how some people might be fearful, and therefore exaggerate certain rumours or anecdotes.

Forget the damn article.

I was really just curious what the perception of South Africa may be by non South Africans, is all. I still remember a couple of years ago interacting with people on the internet who had crazy mental images of lions walking around town and whatnot.
@gribble

My perception of South Africa:

- We're going to rape you at the next Rugby World Cup
- Nelson Mandela
- Townships and the Apartheid
- Uranium fields
- Only relatively well developed country in Africa, by Western standards
- French settlers descendants who produce more than decent wines

Edit: also, South Africa has 49 million inhabitants as of 2009, not 80.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Last edited by Astyan at May 19, 2010,
Meant to type a 5. Fail.

Sound about right, I am not a sports fan but I get the impression most of our teams are going down the drain.

It seems that the views of this place are fairly pedestrian then.

Boring!