Hey guys

Can anyone think of any songs that use major and (or) minor 6th chords im been racking my brain for days and cant think of any if even asked google !!! lmao

Thanks for any help ( i dont care what type of song it is btw)
Summertime by George Gershwin uses min6.

Pretty much any jazz is bound to have some kind of 6 chord in it.
The (major) 6 chord is part of every great early RnR tune...like this common RnR rhythm in G...

A---5--5--7--5--8--5--7--5--
E---3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--

The 3rd and 7th chords are G6 chords.

Here's the same thing Bill Hailey style on the top 4 strings, the 3rd and 7th chords are G6 chords...

E--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3-
B--3--3--5--3--6--3--5--3-
G--4--4--4--4--4--4--4--4-
D--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5-

The m6 is all over the place in Gypsy Jazz tune, but it can also be a substitute for a standard 9th chord played with the 5th in the bass...

C9
E--3----------------
B--3-----------------
G--3------------------
D--2-------------------
A--3---------------------
E---------------------

C9/G or Gm6
E--3----------------
B--3-----------------
G--3------------------
D--2-------------------
A-----------------------
E--3-------------------

So in theory, a standard Blues in G where you have:

|| G7 | G7 | G7 | G7 | C9...could now be...

|| G7 | G7 | G7 | G7 | Gm6

A little history on the (major) 6, is that before the jazz world turned every major chord into maj7 chords they using the 6 chord as an embellishment for the major chord.

If you look at a lot of old show tunes (which is where some the greatest jazz tunes were molded from) you'll see a heavy presence of 6 chords.
Last edited by MikeDodge at May 21, 2010,
Quote by MikeDodge
The (major) 6 chord is part of every great early RnR tune...like this common RnR rhythm in G...

A---5--5--6--5--7--5--6--5--

Actually, none of those are chords. And even if they were (they're actually dyads), the 3rd and 7th "chords" are actually augmented fifths (or minor sixths). These are just intervals.
The beginning part of Mr. Sandman has an A6 arpeggio in it if that's any use
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
The last chord in She Loves You by the Beatles is a G6 chord. The notes sung are D, E and G if I remember right. They got considerable hassle for that at the time, apparantly. It wasn't deemed appropriate to end a pop song on such a "strange" chord.
you can use a maj6 chord anytime youd use a maj7 chord. min6 chords are often part of a line cliche (think the chromatic motion in the begining of my funny valentine)
Quote by canvasDude
Actually, none of those are chords. And even if they were (they're actually dyads), the 3rd and 7th "chords" are actually augmented fifths (or minor sixths). These are just intervals.

G Blues implies G Major. You can think of that as a chord if you want. It would be a G chord, with the E note added it would be G6...just like in the Bill Hailey one.
Quote by MikeDodge

A---5--5--6--5--7--5--6--5--

Hi Mike - I remember you from that "other" forum.

With above example, are you sure you didn't mean this instead:

And if you did mean what you originally wrote, can you give me some examples from famous songs?
In "Lenny" by SRV, all of the chords except for the E whatever-it-is are the same major 6th chord shape, just moved to different spots on the neck.

E A6 E A6 etc etc

B6 D6 G6 Bb6 A6

Here's the A6 shape:

---
-5-
-6-
-4-
---
-5-

To play the B6, you just move the same shape up 2 frets. Repeat for the other 6th chords.
Quote by Holy Katana
That cliché Latin jazz vamp has a m6 chord at the end of the sequence:

Am-Ammaj7-Am7-Am6

like the quiet part in the middle of Oye Como Va:

------------------------------------
-----5--------5--------5--------5---
---5--------5--------5--------5-----
-7--------6--------5--------4-------
A few other examples:

Texas Flood - SRV - opening riff (G6)

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - Zep - when it alternates between F and E chords its:
F6 F E7 E

Battle of Evermore - Led Zep - Am6
not sure if it's guitar or mandolin or combo, but the basic sound of that progression is:
Am6 Am7 Am6 Am

and, from the Believe It or Not dept......

Highway to Hell - AC/DC - listen carefully to very last chord (after "I'm on the Highway to Hell....") and it sounds like either Angus or Malcolm plays an A6 chord - you can hear the F# on the high E string. (probably wasn't intentional, just barreing the A chord at the 2nd fret and look what came out...)
Quote by guitarviz
Hi Mike - I remember you from that "other" forum.

With above example, are you sure you didn't mean this instead:

And if you did mean what you originally wrote, can you give me some examples from famous songs?

You're right gv, thanks for catching it. I'll change it above.