After about six years of playing, I decided to walk to a local music shop and start getting music theory lessons. Got my first lesson 5-25, how do you think this will turn out? I figure it would be good, but my drummer was against it. I can play, I'm not getting playing lessons, it's music theory which should help me with writing music. Opinions?
Some have friends....

... others have guitars....

Hey, it's uhh... 4:20....

Thought you'd like to know is all.

I am not here to make you laugh, I'm here to make you horny.
Basicly everything you need to know is on the internet.
But a teacher might help you to organise things and tell you where to start.

And it never hurts to brush up on your theory
"I'm not retreating, I'm initiating an offensive manouvre in the opposite direction!"
True, most I know I've learned from UG, but I figure lessons would help bridge the gaps.
Some have friends....

Yeah, lol, I thought it was weird too
Some have friends....

Sounds like you have played for a while now. But still taking lessons never hurt. Sometimes the only way a person can advance musically is by taking theory. Chord progressions all rely on theory. Otherwise, you are counting on stumbling onto a chord progression by accident.

I would suggest that you seriously consider taking lessons. What have you got to lose?

Ron666
id imagine it would be most useful if your teacher understands where you want to go with your guitar playing, be sure you communicate that.
When I took a class on music theory I learned stuff much faster than lessons online. I think it'll help you a lot, especially with song writing. Don't know what chord to use? Music theory can lead you in the right direction, but ultimately it's up to you to use what you want to use.
your drummer should be glad your taking theory lessons. The better you are the better he's going to sound too. A band is only as strong as its weakest member.
A few keys:

1. Have clear goals...what it is you are looking for from the lessons, and make sure your teacher understands them, otherwise you won't get the most out of them.

2. Lessons just point you, but you have to walk down the road yourself(ie, put in all the work). It sounds no-nonsense but its very easy to not practice enough outside of the lessons, deeming your lessons worthless. I have a bad tendency of not focusing specifically on what it is I am trying to learn and I end up "playing guitar" instead of "practicing".
Quote by GuitarDTO
A few keys:

1. Have clear goals...what it is you are looking for from the lessons, and make sure your teacher understands them, otherwise you won't get the most out of them.

2. Lessons just point you, but you have to walk down the road yourself(ie, put in all the work). It sounds no-nonsense but its very easy to not practice enough outside of the lessons, deeming your lessons worthless. I have a bad tendency of not focusing specifically on what it is I am trying to learn and I end up "playing guitar" instead of "practicing".

I know what you mean by playing guitar instead of practicing lol, I do it all the time. I'll be practicing my ass off, otherwise it's just a waste of money.
Some have friends....