Hey guys,
I'm brand new at bass, although I've been playing guitar for a long time.
I am wanting to learn bass as well, and really like the tone that Mike Dirnt uses for the Green Day song "Longview."

How would be the best way to get that tone? Is it all in the bass and amp or is there some effect as well?

Thanks so much for your help
The basic tone is boosted treble and mids I'd wager, as with most punk and pop-punk bands. Also, a pick.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
neck pickup, boosted mids, but not to much treble to over zing it. Pick. Thats about it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
A good p-bass would help, too.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
A good p-bass would help, too.

or a gibson grabber which im sure was used on recording dookie

boosted mids,trebs and a bit of gain bite can help i think when it comes to pop punk and soloing or focusing more on the neck pup.

Also a few other tips are play far back nearer the bridge gives you even more of that tone and a pick is a must.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by Razgriz_101
or a gibson grabber which im sure was used on recording dookie

boosted mids,trebs and a bit of gain bite can help i think when it comes to pop punk and soloing or focusing more on the neck pup.

Also a few other tips are play far back nearer the bridge gives you even more of that tone and a pick is a must.

Gibson G-3 not grabber.