How do you get better? Practice.

Transcribe songs by ear, then download the tab and see what you got wrong. Then learn a new song and repeat.
Quote by symba05
How do you get better? Practice.

Transcribe songs by ear, then download the tab and see what you got wrong. Then learn a new song and repeat.

That's how I learn almost all the New song's I play now. I try to figure it out by ear and then check the Tabs if I'm stuck. I can usually transcribe pretty close but I tend to play in the middle of the neck instead of at the low end.

It's often the same notes just in a different place.My buddy keep's telling me it's easier to play by the head where you can play more open bars, but I think it sounds better up the neck.
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
You've just got to do it a lot but it helps to know theory so you can figure out which notes are more likely than others. Also, once you've developed some familiarity with the artist who's music you're tabbing, you can narrow down the likely note choices even more.
The only stuff I really have trouble with is tabbing out the rhythm guitar lines under vocals, the lower pitched stuff tends to be harder for me to hear underneath a scream/growl. If anyone has any advice pertaining specifically to that, I'd welcome it!
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
You've just got to do it a lot but it helps to know theory so you can figure out which notes are more likely than others. Also, once you've developed some familiarity with the artist who's music you're tabbing, you can narrow down the likely note choices even more.
The only stuff I really have trouble with is tabbing out the rhythm guitar lines under vocals, the lower pitched stuff tends to be harder for me to hear underneath a scream/growl. If anyone has any advice pertaining specifically to that, I'd welcome it!

i dont know if this will help you out, but it sure works for me so, you gotta use earphones but when you plug it to the speaker or your mp4 or anything, dont plug it all the way through, just plug it halfway, i dont know why but when i do this the vocals sounds lower and i can hear the rhythm guitar clearly, either there's something wrong with my earphones or it really works, lol

oh and as for the thread... just try tabbing it out yourself, then download someone else's tab and see if its right...
Quote by DeadSoloist
lol i have all the practice standing up when I used to play guitar hero 24/7 :P

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't care if you're joking or not.

Just no.

Last edited by shadowz_fall at May 19, 2010,
Quote by shadowz_fall
i dont know if this will help you out, but it sure works for me so, you gotta use earphones but when you plug it to the speaker or your mp4 or anything, dont plug it all the way through, just plug it halfway, i dont know why but when i do this the vocals sounds lower and i can hear the rhythm guitar clearly, either there's something wrong with my earphones or it really works, lol

oh and as for the thread... just try tabbing it out yourself, then download someone else's tab and see if its right...

That's actually a really good idea, I've had that effect by accident in the past, never thought to try and manipulate it. Cheers, man!
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Try only listening to one headphone at a time. Often you'll end up with one guitar in your left ear and another in your right, which is good if you're just trying to tab the rhythm or lead or one half of a harmony.
Quote by 6StringSlaughtr
Try only listening to one headphone at a time. Often you'll end up with one guitar in your left ear and another in your right, which is good if you're just trying to tab the rhythm or lead or one half of a harmony.

Nice Tips it's a small but very important thing I have tried it before ,With one headphone at a time you can exactly know what is going on with other ear.