About 7 months or so ago I was in a band with a few guys from my school. We played at a few bars and wrote a few originals, but the chemistry between the two guitarists was just god-awful. I chose the side of the guitarist and singer, and us three went on our way while the drummer and the other guitarist went their separate way.

These past months I've been trying to get the guitarist and singer to get off their asses and to start something back up, but to no avail. I finally realized that even though the other guitarist (the one I no longer associated with) was a giant douche, he was the person that ran everything and made it work.

So today I got a text from him and his brother (drummer) saying that they need a bass player for this new band (different guitarist and singer).

I really want to give this band a second chance considering that it is better than doing nothing musically, but I don't want it to fall to pieces like last time.

But then again, I don't want to feel like I'm betraying the guys who I sided with when the band split, even though we aren't really doing anything right now.

So.... should I go back with these guys, and if I should how do I prevent it from falling apart?

tl;dr - Left old band, got text saying that I'm wanted to start new band, don't want to make same mistakes.
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
if you're not starting a band with the singer and other guitarist, then I think you should.

But then again I wouldn't want to be in a band with someone I find to be a giant douche.
I would actually start afresh with completely new people. The guys you're with now don't want to do anything, and you said the previous band has a giant douche in it. Neither are good options.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I would actually start afresh with completely new people. The guys you're with now don't want to do anything, and you said the previous band has a giant douche in it. Neither are good options.
From here, that looks to be the best path.

Quote by RG5EX1
These past months I've been trying to get the guitarist and singer to get off their asses and to start something back up, but to no avail.
Quote by RG5EX1
But then again, I don't want to feel like I'm betraying the guys who I sided with when the band split, even though we aren't really doing anything right now.
I think you betrayed yourself when you sided with lazy bastards who dissent about how things were, but do nothing to get something new happening. Am I wrong?

Quote by RG5EX1
So.... should I go back with these guys, and if I should how do I prevent it from falling apart?
Maybe. You need to evaluate the previous situation and figure out where things when wrong. Were you and your buddies just butthurt because you didn't have things the way YOU wanted them? Or is that other guitarist truly a douche?

Quote by RG5EX1
I finally realized that even though the other guitarist (the one I no longer associated with) was a giant douche, he was the person that ran everything and made it work.
If the fault lies mainly with him, it's unlikely anything you do will change him. A dominating, ego-centric douche generally takes all the air out of a room and leaves little room for others to be creative.

On the other hand, a guy who is willing to roll up his sleeves and carry a bunch of lazy asses is an asset. Maybe you're a pissy little bitch who wants things the way he wants them but is too lazy to do the work or cooperate and work toward consensus. Idk. Figure out who you are and who he is. If the problem was you, and you're willing to change, you might be able to work with him. If not, don't bother.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

On the other hand, a guy who is willing to roll up his sleeves and carry a bunch of lazy asses is an asset. Maybe you're a pissy little bitch who wants things the way he wants them but is too lazy to do the work or cooperate and work toward consensus. Idk. Figure out who you are and who he is. If the problem was you, and you're willing to change, you might be able to work with him. If not, don't bother.

I'm a bassist, I barely ever open my mouth at band practices.

It was mostly the chemistry between him and the old guitarist (both were on the same skill level and taught by the same teacher) so each had too much of a creative flow to work together.

To be honest, I've rarely seen him in his natural environment, only when he's fighting with the other guitarist, so he might work out better with new people.
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
I don't see why not. They might have matured a little bit in that time and it may run more smoothly. Then again, it might not.

My point is that it probably won't do much harm to try again and if it fails it fails.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by RG5EX1

It was mostly the chemistry between him and the old guitarist (both were on the same skill level and taught by the same teacher) so each had too much of a creative flow to work together.

So basically he's not open to other people's ideas. Next!
Soundcloud
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
People change. You never know what the chemistry may be like the 2nd time around. If you have nothing else going on, what have you got to lose? And if it doesn't work out, well then atleast you tried and won't be wondering, what if?

Try to think of it more as an ex-girlfriend/boyfriend. Didn't work out the first time, why go back so that it fails for the same reasons again?
Soundcloud
go with the douche and drummer you can always find other singers, but also guitarists are a dime a dozen
Prestige Ibanez Rg1527rb
Epiphone Les Paul w dimarzio evo.
ltd H -50
Digitech DF-7
dod EQ
Randall WarHead
Crate td50c
Quote by AlanHB
Try to think of it more as an ex-girlfriend/boyfriend. Didn't work out the first time, why go back so that it fails for the same reasons again?

I thought the reason that it failed was because of the two guitarists fueding with each other? Of course the reason they may have bickered with each other might have been because said guitarist is a douche but it's not like it's the same band anymore. Plus, said guitarist might have mellowed out by now. I don't think it's wise to just dismiss it straight away.

Said before, there's not really anything to lose other than a bit of time.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles