Just curious to know what types of common pedals I would need to open my playing field up a little and make playing and improvising a little more interesting. I know there are 500 gazillion pedals out there that each have a certain job. I run a tube amp so it doesn't have any built in effects except for digital reverb.

Thanks!
Tuner is always good.

What music do you play?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Your tube amp has digital reverb?
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
lol...

I like alot of clean playing, mostly rhythym type stuff. For example, the beginning of the Master of Puppets interlude where James played that Em D C progression.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by Chikao42
Your tube amp has digital reverb?

I believe it's digital. Bugera V5
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Reverb, delay (maybe), wah.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by cdr_salamander
lol...

I like alot of clean playing, mostly rhythym type stuff. For example, the beginning of the Master of Puppets interlude where James played that Em D C progression.

Chorus. For clean playing, chorus is an absolute MUST.

Basically, (Assuming your amp has reverb), distortion and chorus is all you really need as a beginner. Eventually delay, flange, wah, etc. Build up your collection over time.

Look into the $15 danelectro fab chorus
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
I'd say chorus, I've never much LIKED clean tones with chorus, more of a fan of a light vibe myself, but most people like it.

A Wah. Nuff Said.

A Tuner.
Quote by Ghast
Chorus. For clean playing, chorus is an absolute MUST.

Basically, (Assuming your amp has reverb), distortion and chorus is all you really need as a beginner. Eventually delay, flange, wah, etc. Build up your collection over time.

Look into the $15 danelectro fab chorus

Look into a wah, overdrive/distortion, and maybe a tuner. I agree with the fab chorus too. Most of the danelectro fab pedals sound pretty bad, but i have a fab chorus and then a $150 visual sound liquid chorus, and while the vs is better, and fab sounds very nice. for gain, look into a tube screamer type pedal like a boss sd-1 (which sounds good and is cheap).
I would recommend a multi-effects board...

About 15 years ago I had an Digitech RP1. It had a ton of effects and was cutting edge at the time.

I picked one up again used at Guitar Center for $40. I think this is a great way to get exposure to a ton of different effects (distortion, delay, compressor, flange, phaser, reverb, eq, ect.) without spending a lot of money.

It is also a good pre-amp, so you can run right out of the board to headphones or a power amp if you'd like.
I was really impressed by how my Compressor Sustainer expanded my clean tone, I'd get a Noise Suppressor to go with it, they are noisy pedals by their very nature.

James
Quote by cdr_salamander
I believe it's digital. Bugera V5

Fair enough.

I'd say wah, tuner, booster, chorus/vibe.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Thanks guys, so right now on my priority list I have tuner, distortion, and chorus. Ill try all of these out next time I go to Guitar Center.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Taylor 414CE
About the wah. I wouldn't really get one unless you find more than 30% of the stuff you play uses one a LOT. Like the only reason I have one is because it was for a good price and my favorite guitarist uses one

Now whenever I don't play any of his music it just sits and collects dust.

And I agree with tuner and distortion as a must.
If your just starting out with pedals, I would also suggest a multi-fx. My first pedal was a digitech rp70, it let me play around with tons of different individual pedals, and combos. Along with having a tuner, and even a drum machine built into it as well, which are huge pluses. I believe I paid about $70-$80 for it, which is still less than a lot of individual pedals. Now the one thing to be aware of with the multi-fx, is it takes your signal converts it to bits, processes it, then chucks it back out the otherside. This unfortunately does alter your tone a little bit. It by all means still sounds great, but you will notice a little difference with the tube amp. I fooled around with the rp70 for a while, then started slowly buying individual pedals after I knew exactly what I was looking for.

If you dont want to go the multi fx route, I would say an over drive pedal would have been my first choice. You can get an Ibanez ts7 for really cheap and they sound pretty good.
assuming that amp is like the other small tube amps i've tried, i'd want an overdrive, a distortion, maybe a chorus, wah and delay. tuner would be good too, but if you don't have much money even one of those wee handheld ones would tide you over.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MenosDaBear
If your just starting out with pedals, I would also suggest a multi-fx. My first pedal was a digitech rp70, it let me play around with tons of different individual pedals, and combos. Along with having a tuner, and even a drum machine built into it as well, which are huge pluses. I believe I paid about $70-$80 for it, which is still less than a lot of individual pedals. Now the one thing to be aware of with the multi-fx, is it takes your signal converts it to bits, processes it, then chucks it back out the otherside. This unfortunately does alter your tone a little bit. It by all means still sounds great, but you will notice a little difference with the tube amp. I fooled around with the rp70 for a while, then started slowly buying individual pedals after I knew exactly what I was looking for.

If you dont want to go the multi fx route, I would say an over drive pedal would have been my first choice. You can get an Ibanez ts7 for really cheap and they sound pretty good.
I took this suggestion....I just picked up a $99 Digitech RP-90, it does about everything a beginner-intermediate player could want.
My Gear-
2010 Ibanez S570DXQM 24-fretter
MIM Fender Standard Strat HSS Sierra Sunburst

Line 6 Spider IV 15w
I think every guitarist should have a DS-1 lying around somewhere.

Depending on what tube amp you have, that may not be what you want though.

You'd probably enjoy an overdrive.

EQ's and Tuners are always good.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X