13 22%
PRS CE22 (Dragon II P/ups)
27 47%
Jackson Dinky (JB and Jazz)
16 28%
Other (Please Specify)
2 3%
Voters: 58.
Currently playing an American Standard Strat SSS. Doesnt have the volume to keep up with my HH tele (Pearly Gates and 59 combo. Love it), or the attitude to play most of my band's tunes. We cover Aerosmith, Hendrix, Metallica, Tragically Hip. Original stuff is certainly more Iron Maiden, Metallica, Dream Theater influenced. So, should i go for a pickup change? If i were to do this, i think i'd go with an Air Norton/Tone Zone S. Have found a PRS CE22 (with trem) for 1400, and a Custom Shop Jackson Dinky for 1500. Would sell Strat for 950.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Last edited by wyldeshredder at May 19, 2010,
That is a redonkalous group of bands? From Tragically Hip to Metallica to Hendrix? Majorly different styles.

My buddy just bought a PRS, I don't remember the line, but it's the Dave Navarro signature. It's pretty versatile, and I've heard that about a lot of their guitars.

P.S - Don't hate on the Navarro part, it's only aesthetic reasons that make it his.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
I find Jackson's to be really nice. Although they have those Compound Radius necks which I've heard good things from shredders (Maiden, Metallica, DREAM THEATER)

But I have heard some stories that because the neck radius changes along it, the strings are farther apart from the neck at some point. This is unverified but I personally think the reason was that it wasn't properly set up.

I would've voted the PRS, but can't your tele do these tones? I'm not familiar with the Pearly Gates but I know the 59 has a really sweet lead tone. (a la Dave Murray)

I would use the tele for the heavier stuff and keep the strat for like Hendrix and stuff.

EDIT: also, nice choice with the Tele. The spalted maple one is bloody beautiful.

EDIT2: Although your profile makes me think you should ditch the strat and get an uber metalz guitar

Quote by his profile
I like thrash,progressive,experimental, and black/death metal. I am especially interested in not so typical groups like Nevermore and Opeth, for the reason that they are the most unique sounding bands i can find. Anyone can recycle the same old Metallica and Black Sabbath riffs, but to break your own ground and progress metal as a whole is a much greater accomplishment.
Last edited by siverstorm at May 19, 2010,
Quote by wyldeshredder
Currently playing an American Standard Strat SSS. Doesnt have the volume to keep up with my HH tele (Pearly Gates and 59 combo. Love it), or the attitude to play most of my band's tunes. We cover Aerosmith, Hendrix, Metallica, Tragically Hip. Original stuff is certainly more Iron Maiden, Metallica, Dream Theater influenced. So, should i go for a pickup change? If i were to do this, i think i'd go with an Air Norton/Tone Zone S. Have found a PRS CE22 (with trem) for 1400, and a Custom Shop Jackson Dinky for 1500. Would sell Strat for 950.

1 so you may want a line boost or turn up the amp.

2 that's one option that costs a lot less than those guitars.

3 i'm not sure the dragons would be best pick ups for what you play, but they wouldn't be bad by any means. the custom 22 is a great guitar imo. it's a very good trem, stays in tune well. but i'm sure that jackson is nice as well. i'm not a fan of most locking trem systems, all preference.

4 are you sure you can get $950 for the american standard? that's what they go for new.
I would just change the pups if you are happy with how it handles but want a different tone.
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
ya, ignore my profile...i didnt think ive touched it since i started here haha. i guess i should get on that

the link in my sig is good for my band though
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Just listened to the songs on your profile.

Keep the strat. and upgrade the pups.

If you need something for heavy you got the tele. AND your LP.

Unless you wanna splurge on something high-quality then it's a tossup between the Dinky and the PRS
BY THE WAY!
I had a jackson RR24, didnt love the neck...too chunky for me, although most arent like that. I'm kind of thinking it may be a little wide for me in general though, if all Jacksons have the width.

Im not a fan of the middle pickup screw on the strat. Right in my picking zone, and i find theres not much room between strings and pickgaurd.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Then I think the Dinky is roughly the same as the RR24 (if not the same but really close)

That's a point against the Dinky and one for the PRS (If you can try similar models at a local shop that might help you make your decision.)

Also can't you lower the middle pickup so that it's not in the way? Although you wouldn't be able to use it properly afterwards.
well i remember picking up other jacksons and thinking "man, my rr24 is way bigger than this thing." but the width of it still seemed very similair. anyways

i'm leaning PRS right now. its got Dragon IIs, which seem quite nice. 12k and 8k. should balance well my current 8k and 7k. i looked into resonant frequencies too, and i think they were fairly similair. both were maple top, mahogany body. maple neck on the ce, i assume will be a little brighter. pups will have a little more bite, so it might be able to turn into heavy stuff guitar, the tele more for classic rock style stuff. both seems incredibly versatile. could make for a killer duo,
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

seems as though the PRS has pulled ahead. im strongly thinking PRS now, specs seem lovely
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

My CE22 is one of if not the best guitar I have ever played

I wold recommend it to anyone
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
thanks dopey
can i assume yours has the dragon IIs in it? if so, do you like them? i'm a fan of not super hot pickups, 12k and 8k seem pretty reasonable to me
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

I had the Dragons in mine, but with the demands of the band I was in I swapped in a set of BKP Nailbombs. I do plan on using the Dragons in my other guitar however, they are very bass and middy, very smooth pickups.

They're great
Quote by fleajr_1412

hmm, well that sounds good. i like having a warm guitar tone. my tele is 25.5 and the PG+ has some pretty good snap to its sound so it seems fairly bright. dragon IIs might be good for some warmer tones i suppose

BY THE WAY: Your sig is hilarious, i'm prepared to assume theres some people who dont catch on haha
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Last edited by wyldeshredder at May 20, 2010,
any other people with opinions on the ce series?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

hmmm if a Strat can not handle Jimi or Aerosmith I think you need to look harder at your other gear not the guitar.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
well, its got jimi down.

but the other stuff not so much. i dont play enough hendrix to have a guitar just for it lol
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

eh....short scale..meh. not really my thing anymore
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

if you shit is more maiden metallica and dream theater oriented then go get yourself a jackson dinky. those bands are WAYYY heavier then trajically hip/ aerosmith/ hendrix. use your tele for your covers. and for your heavier origionals use jackson dinky.
any other opinions?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

It's NOt the Strat. I have metal guitars from BC Rich (with EMGs) to a PRS, and a Jackson Kelly K3...my Strats are as loud as any of them.

Think of it this way. You buy a Strat, Jackson and PRS. I did. Guess what? The PRS and Jackson were second hand: a third the price if new ....they lose their value once you walk out the door. The Strat will keep most of its value.

Know why I have 23 guitars? Guys keep buying them new...dumb....you can get anything but a Strat at less than half price in goood used shape...probably a 1/3 if you watch the classifieds.
Last edited by Raptorfingers at May 24, 2010,
ya man, all that shit is used^
i bought the strat new. big mistake. my tele was used, my mark iv was used, recto cab used. way more value in used. the jackson is 1500, the prs 1300 btw
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

I've seen the PRS to which you refer, its quite tragic looking if you ask me.. But then again it seems you have an unusual taste in guitars. I checked out that myspace link though, and it's quite interesting. I'd recommend everyone check out that link, in fact.
gee, thanks legris73..
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

I would go with the ce22 but not for that price.

I got mine for $895 and in mint condition.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
I just put the Dragon IIs into my Schecter, and I have no idea why I took them out my PRS in the first place. I mean the BKPs are better but the Dragons can handle EVERYTHING I was playing when I changed them. I confuse myself
Quote by fleajr_1412

hmm.. well actually i already dickered the guy down from 1400.
the case is messed from what he says too, so perhaps i'll offer him 12 when i check it out?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer