I am learning stairway to heaven solo as a beginner and its going well. My goal is to have it perfect in 2 weeks. Anyways, Is it necessary to do hammer ons and pull offs? I cant do them fast enough yet so is it okay to just play it regulary until im good enough to do it?
That's perfectly fine to do and it should sound A-Okay but it won't get the same feel as it would have if you used them. Also once you get them it's generally the easier thing to do depending on how fast it is.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Thanks! thats like the third time u have answered one of my questions. I love this website xD
Quote by gibson3
@freepower... I'm assuming its just the intro

Naw, he said solo

TS, I hate to break your heart, but if your not doing the articulations, your not playing the solo.

Instead of working around them, learn the solo the right way. It might take an extra week or two, but youll have learned to do hammer ons and pull offs
Dude, if you haven't gotten hammer-ons and pull-offs down already Im thinking you've gotten a little ahead of yourself learning that, or any solo for that matter. Just start doing them, they're pretty easy. I'd practice some trilling to strengthen your arm muscles so you get it down, just be sure to keep your wrist straight so you don't have any issues. Proper technique is crucial to everything and not just so it'll sound good but so you don't get things like karpel tunnel.

Trilling is repeatedly hammering on and pulling off a note from a lower note. You can build your strength and coordination with them, at least it worked for me.
Maybe while you're working on hammer-ons and stuff maybe you can learn the rest of the song - the rhythm part. There's some good stuff to be learnt there for beginners.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Bfrederi
I am learning stairway to heaven solo as a beginner and its going well. My goal is to have it perfect in 2 weeks. Anyways, Is it necessary to do hammer ons and pull offs? I cant do them fast enough yet so is it okay to just play it regulary until im good enough to do it?

Change your goal, you can't put timeframes on things, they take as long as they take. All you're doing by setting a 2 week limit is putting pressure on yourself - the task of perfecting the solo is more than enough for you to be getting on with without the extra worry of how long it takes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com