It you're an audiophile i'm suprised you're not wretching at the sight of that.

for audiophilia you are looking at this sort of stuff at the budget end:
http://www.richersounds.com/information/hifisystems

only worth doing serious hi-fi if you've got £500 or more to spend...

EDIT: it whatever you've got doesn't have the right input you can get adapters for about £2-3
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1218&C=SO&U=strat15
even cheaper off ebay, like 50p each...
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at May 19, 2010,
I was under the impression that "audiophiles" only went for the highest of high end stereo equipment... not some bookshelf deal... I'm sure that system is great for an audio-liker, but if youre really a 'phile, youre probably gonna want something a lil more expensive.

if you feel like it will suit your needs, playback-wise...

Like you mentioned, go and make sure it has RCA inputs and a grounding terminal.

If these inputs are not specified "phono" by the manufacturer, there's no need to fret, you'll just have to use the built-in bass preamp (crank it up) if there is one, or use an equalizer to boost the bass signal before its amplified.

As for grounding, if you don't use the thin grounding wire that should be coming out of your turntable near the RCA cables, there will be an awful hum bothering your audiophilic experience. If the boombox has a designated grounding terminal, use it. If the boombox is grounded to the outlet (3-prong connector) you should just be able to connect this wire to a screw on the back of the unit. If neither of these conditions are present, you'll have to ground the record player some other way. Google it.
Well, I've only just RECENTLY become an audiophile, so I guess you can't say I'm a "real" audiophile.

I had a feeling something with a separate stereo controller and speakers would be necessary.
Quote by Don Quixote
Well, I've only just RECENTLY become an audiophile, so I guess you can't say I'm a "real" audiophile.

I had a feeling something with a separate stereo controller and speakers would be necessary.

You don't just suddenly BECOME an audiophile. And since you're asking this question, you're quite clearly not an audiophile.
Quote by dandadog
You don't just suddenly BECOME an audiophile. And since you're asking this question, you're quite clearly not an audiophile.

Okay, so, I'm not an audiophile. There you go. Edited the OP. Done.
Quote by Kivarenn82

That's funny, because I was just about to ask if I should get a tube one.

Quote by dandadog

What, you can't suddenly decide that you want highest quality audio? Do you need to be born that way?

Being an audiophile isn't some exclusive club. Anyone can decide they want in. Just because he is inexperienced, doesn't mean he can't learn.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by dandadog

I'm pretty sure you do ... I know there was a moment when I decided to take it more seriously and have spent a lot more than I should on equipment.
Quote by 666_Pounder
I'm pretty sure you do ... I know there was a moment when I decided to take it more seriously and have spent a lot more than I should on equipment.

This is actually the case with me. I bought a couple Led Zeppelin records, KISS Alive, and The Who's Quadrophenia recently and I'm just astounded at the quality of it versus CD. I think vinyl may actually be able to convert alot of people.
For a turntable the rega p2 is a great one for the money, and Thoren's isn't a bad company. Belt-driven is what you want.

Start with speakers and work your way back down the line.
Quote by Kivarenn82

Something about that luscious glow REALLY makes me want to play guitar right now.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by itchy guitar
Something about that luscious glow REALLY makes me want to play guitar right now.

Me as well.

How often would you have to replace the power tubes in that sucker???
Ask Deliriumbassist, he works in a quality hi-fi shop and seems to like helping people out with stuff like this.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Quote by sg255
Ask Deliriumbassist, he works in a quality hi-fi shop and seems to like helping people out with stuff like this.

Indeed he does work at such a shop, and may be assistant manager of said shop by next week

They key to a quality setup is to make sure that the source is up to scratch. Since you're looking at that crappy Sony, which I can tell you from experience is, well, crap and not worth the space I'm going to assume youe budget isn't huge. A budget would be good so I can recommend decent equipment, however, if you want a hifi setup as opposed to a layman's music setup, you're going to need at least £600.
Quote by Don Quixote

Word to the wise, the 'vinyls are SOOO much better oloolol' stuff is bullshit. They degrade over time and hiss and have about a 70db dynamic range compared to a CD which is about 95db.

If you want to play them though that second link would be your best bet.
Quote by Warehouse
If neither of these conditions are present, you'll have to ground the record player some other way. Google it.

Please explain

Can I just ground it to something like my computer chassis?
I can take a road that'll see me through.
Quote by Scout1011
Please explain

Can I just ground it to something like my computer chassis?

Most amps with onboard phono or phono boxes come with a screw fixing on it's chassis for the ground from the deck.

And yes, you will requitre something with a phono stage, or get a phono box. Record decks output a fraction of the output of basically every other source and media transport. They also require RIAA equalisation, which the phono stage does. You CANNOT hook a record deck into a system without a phono stage and have it work anywhere near as well, if at all.
Get yourself a pair of these Quads.

They haven't been made since the 60s, though, so will set you back a ton.

Then get a pair of Quad electrostatic speakers! They're like radiators of music.

This all sounds wonderful, just such a shame my dad had to sell them all away years ago.

Quote by pak1351
For a turntable the rega p2 is a great one for the money, and Thoren's isn't a bad company. Belt-driven is what you want.

Start with speakers and work your way back down the line.

+ 1 on Thorens, that's what I've got going now, simply running into a Technics amplifier, which gives a pretty lovely sound, thankfully.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Last edited by freddaahh at May 20, 2010,
The Quad ESLs sucked with bass though. The new ones have really picked up with that though.

Dammit, this makes me want my Quad 909, 99CD/2 and 12L2s to get here sooner

Damn my wanting to get wenge finished speakers. New I should've gone for birdseye maple.
Are those more modern Electrostatic speakers? Due to my dad, I'm going to be eternally stuck in the world of 60s hi-fi, really. Nice to know they're still a living company though, so many British companies in that vein have died away.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quad are doing as good as ever, if sales at my shop are anything to go by. Then again, I'm very biased towards Quad

Although I was a little torn between 22L2s and some Mission floorstanders (which are about a 1/3rd of the price of the 22L2s... they're FOOKIN' PHENOMENAL at the price.) until I realised I don't have enough room for floorstanders My next buy will either be the Van den Hull mains lead at £350, or some Chord Anthem 2s/Epic Supertwin interconnect/cable.

And yeah, they brought out some new ESLs not too long ago, running at £15k a pair.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Quad are doing as good as ever, if sales at my shop are anything to go by. Then again, I'm very biased towards Quad

Although I was a little torn between 22L2s and some Mission floorstanders (which are about a 1/3rd of the price of the 22L2s... they're FOOKIN' PHENOMENAL at the price.) until I realised I don't have enough room for floorstanders My next buy will either be the Van den Hull mains lead at £350, or some Chord Anthem 2s/Epic Supertwin interconnect/cable.

And yeah, they brought out some new ESLs not too long ago, running at £15k a pair.

I'm sorry, but.... no. Just... no.

Even fucking studios use standard mains leads for chrissakes.
LtBrenton

Quote by Douglas Adams
The art of flying lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Quote by soulflyV

If I didn't have a mudkip in there, I'd sig that.

http://ltbrenton.wordpress.com My blog. Check it out.

☠ ☠ ☠
Quote by LtBrenton
I'm sorry, but.... no. Just... no.

Even fucking studios use standard mains leads for chrissakes.

Wait, I'm sorry that I work in a high end hifi store, know what I'm talking about and actually feel that there is a difference the mains cable makes. And that was with a blind test. I know exactly what I'm on about and I feel that there is a noticeable, positive difference, I'm going to purchase said item. It make the Quad setup I borrowed from work sound even cleaner, which I thought was bloody awesome. Saying that, if you don't feel or hear a difference, then don't get it. Simple as.