New-lefty-bass-player-from-right-handed-guitar-playing-but-naturally-lefty-anyways...

... Thread.

Whats up dudes? About 40 seconds ago from the time I started writing this, I decided to start playing lefty bass to distract myself from my excessive noodling and wanking on guitar for 6 hours a day, and to help cut down my risk of getting CT in my hand. Plus I'm naturally a lefty and it just feels good man . Good vibrations aside, I have a few questions for the lot of you...

- Would you advise fingerpicks? I've used them a few times, and I can pretty much do some chugging, but at the cost of *clank clank* on every note. I already have decent calouses on my left hand, but provided that I ever have to play an hour/+ set, those are the only times I would ever need them (?).

- Whats a decent amp to buy? At my school, we have a nice Hartke stack but that's all I've ever played through. I have a Line 6 spider Jam which could easily do the job, but if I should ever decide to upgrade from my excessively shitty peice of shitty shit mcshitbucket, I'm going to want a lot more than what Line 6 has to offer. (Hit me with your best Line 6 joke too)

-Any advice on wiring my pickups straight to the output jack?

- Since the bass I have is well over 9 years old (as well as the strings on it), most of the stuff is broken, unsoldered, and quite cheap. General knowledge of my bass (as well as questions) and upgrades and such I'll keep tabs of here.

Heres my list of songs I can play on Bass:
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath.

Maybe I'll do some RHCP and NIB soon.
why on earth would you play left handed bass when you already play right handed guitar? that makes no sense man.
Quote by Ghost of Sparta
Would you advise fingerpicks? I've used them a few times, and I can pretty much do some chugging, but at the cost of *clank clank* on every note. I already have decent calouses on my left hand, but provided that I ever have to play an hour/+ set, those are the only times I would ever need them (?).

never used one on bass. but im sure it can work. try it.

Quote by Ghost of Sparta
- Whats a decent amp to buy? At my school, we have a nice Hartke stack but that's all I've ever played through. I have a Line 6 spider Jam which could easily do the job, but if I should ever decide to upgrade from my excessively shitty peice of shitty shit mcshitbucket, I'm going to want a lot more than what Line 6 has to offer. (Hit me with your best Line 6 joke too)

no it can't. it's a guitar amp, you will blow the speaker if you play bass through it excessively.

Quote by Ghost of Sparta
-Any advice on wiring my pickups straight to the output jack?

why would you want to do this?
its just two wires, you can't go wrong though. doesn't even matter which way they go around.

Quote by Ghost of Sparta
- Since the bass I have is well over 9 years old (as well as the strings on it), most of the stuff is broken, unsoldered, and quite cheap. General knowledge of my bass (as well as questions) and upgrades and such I'll keep tabs of here.

try and fix it up as best you can. definately change the strings if you have the moolah. think about replacing the pickups and electronics after that if you wish.
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Last edited by shinhoman at May 20, 2010,
Quote by shinhoman

no it can't. it's a guitar amp, you will blow the speaker if you play bass through it excessively.

I thought with the drum+bass tracks, they would have put in a speaker that could handle bass @ high volumes? I suppose though I could stick to low volumes and recording.

why would you want to do this?
its just two wires, you can't go wrong though. doesn't even matter which way they go around.

Since all my electronics are pretty old, I'd imagine they are pretty crackly. I've never found much use for a tone knob, and dynamics should be easily controlled with the fingers. Plus with the hotwiring it should be more tone-worthy...

try and fix it up as best you can. definately change the strings if you have the moolah. think about replacing the pickups and electronics after that if you wish.

I was thinking some GFS parts to get me by. And maybe some blue DRs.

@loudog: Man have you ever been left handed and played right handed guitar? Playing lefty is much more natural feeling
- Thumbpicks: If you like the pick tone, and thumbpicks feel comfortable, then go for it. I'd advise you learn fingerstyle as well however, to be a more rounded and versatile bassist.

Quote by Ghost of Sparta
I thought with the drum+bass tracks, they would have put in a speaker that could handle bass @ high volumes? I suppose though I could stick to low volumes and recording.

It doesn't matter how loud you're playing. You will slowly destroy the speaker in your guitar amp if you play bass through it. Do yourself, and your tone a favor, and get a small bass amp.

EDIT: Small practice amps to look at: the Kustom KBA10, the Acoustic B20, or a Peavey MAX series amp
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at May 21, 2010,