I've been out of guitar for a while and I want to get back in the swing again surprisingly this account was still active considering my last login was 03/2004. I'm up for other recommedations in the $300ish category. Thanks!
What styles of music do you play?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
See if you can get a used Vypyr Tube 60 or a Peavey Ultra, maybe an XXX combo. A Line 6 Flextone combo would be a good idea as well; also check out the Ampeg VH140c or SS140c. Check eBay and Craigslist.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I'll look into those you mentioned I'd rather personally buy new so if anything goes wrong It's a lot easier to deal with.
cool story bro
Quote by Raijouta
See if you can get a used Vypyr Tube 60 or a Peavey Ultra, maybe an XXX combo. A Line 6 Flextone combo would be a good idea as well; also check out the Ampeg VH140c or SS140c. Check eBay and Craigslist.

Big plus 1

I owned a FM212 and have played many Vypyrs. Get the Vypyr if you are buying new. I would highly recommend spending a bit more for the Vypyr 60 with power tubes. Not as sterile sounding. $450.
I'd rather go SS I just want something simple and less work in the long run.
cool story bro
Tubes aren't more work than SS amps. You replace tubes once every two years depending on how much you use the amp (closer to one year if used every day for an hour on average) for less than 50 bucks for two power tubes.

Furthermore, the sound difference between the Vypyr 75 and Tube 60 is really worth the extra cost. The Tube 60 has more presence and balls, IMO, it's really just allround superior.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
+1 Raijouta

The good news about the Vypyr 75 is that it is cheap ($289) and you can get a free Sanpera I pedal through the end of June.

I'd still rather have the Vypyr 60.

PS: You could go 5 years and not need power tubes - there is no set time that they last.
I'd rather wait and get a tube setup when I have $XXXX I just want something to start practicing with and do small shows. I forgot all about the rebate offer for the Sanpera pedal that's pretty tempting...
cool story bro
In that case, the 75 should do you well. My friend has one and it's pretty cool.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I wouldn't touch either of them but if you must choose between those and it's just for practicing then the Vyper all the way. It's a tragedy up there with the CBS takeover that they ever put a Fender logo on a Frontman.

PS: If you go used you could pick up a really good amp for the same money. Is a warrantee worth more to you than having a good amp?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 20, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
I wouldn't touch either of them but if you must choose between those and it's just for practicing then the Vyper all the way. It's a tragedy up there with the CBS takeover that they ever put a Fender logo on a Frontman.

PS: If you go used you could pick up a really good amp for the same money. Is a warrantee worth more to you than having a good amp?

Yeah having some type of manufacturer warranty and in store guarantee is always nice. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions though I'm still researching my options.
cool story bro