I just bought an M-Audio fast track ultra and a 13 inch macbook pro to record with. i tried to record tonight using garageband and everything turned out great except for one thing. sometimes the volume will drop out on certain tracks in a recorded song. it usually happens when i'm playing repeated powerchords with distortion but its happened when i've played clean as well. The track will start out sounding normal then after about 5 seconds it'll drop out. I need help fixing this as I have no idea what's causing it.

also, im recording my guitar amp with a shure sm57. where in front of the amp should i place it to get the best sound out of it?

Thanks in advance.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
where in front of the amp should i place it to get the best sound out of it?

As my used to say all the time..."It all depends".

Try things for yourself and see what you like but also look up micing techniques online to get a general rule of thumb on what different positions should sound like.
Amps and mics vary too much to tell you exactly where YOUR gear should be placed...

As for the cutting out on the audio, not sure what's up there. Be sure you have the latest drivers installed from the M-Audio website if you have not tried that already.
i went to install the latest drivers before i started to record but my macbook pro is brand new so they haven't authorized new drivers for the latest Mac OS yet. that might be the problem but i don't think so. i'm thinking its a feedback or overload problem but i don't know how to fix it without ruining sound quality.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M