Looking for something with either a marshally or soldano-y flare. I'm basically a pure Rock and blues kinda guy, though if I have the cleans to do jazz, I'd love that too. Metal not necessary. I'd be good with high-gain, but I don't need chugga-chugga br00tz A hot-rodded Marshall is probably as high as I COULD go, period, without being mildly annoyed :P Any number of channels will do, though if it's multiple, foot-switch is admittedly preferred (but still not necessary! My 3-channel amp has no pedal).

I'm looking for low-wattage, relatively british. As far as wattage goes, I'd do something like a Mesa Mark V (which is NOT the kinda thing I'm looking for) with it's power-scaling, and say that counts as low wattage, even if it's actually a 100 watt amp. I've got over a thousand dollars USD (and likely more coming in, I guess), and I'll buy used (and can go online too). I'm A-okay with ebay or craigslist too.

This is something I'll likely wanna bring with me, so smaller = better. Head and cab or combo, I don't care, though if head and cab, the cab'll likely be 2x12 or smaller.

I can go cheaper if this is just an awkward price-range, and add pedals, I guess, but I really don't wanna do that. I'm not much of a pedal guy as far as effects go. Not even a wah or reverb =P Call me boring, but I just haven't had much use.

If you've got a brilliant idea, I'd love to hear it. I don't care if it's big-name or no-name, I just want whatever is best for what I can do Versatility would be great, but most amps that cover one of these ranges tends to cover both of these (as I don't need metal, or even pristine clean). I'm expecting to run these either extremely loud or extremely quietly most times.

TL;DR

-1,000 dollars
-Must be low-wattage
-Pure blues through hard rock (Hot-rodded british/soldano at max, vintage-y marshall at lowest)
-Cleans would be appreciated, but short of jazz, I am almost never 100-percent clean (unless a pedal is recommended...?)
-Number of channels is irrelevant
---------
Edit: And I'm not aiming for the Randall MTS series. The RM22 is a fine head, but I've already reviewed it. It's on the table, but it's a bit expensive when you factor in the head + cab + likely new modules)
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Last edited by Phantom123 at May 19, 2010,
Mesa TransAtlantic
5/15/25 watt selectable poweramp.
$899
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TA15
(video review at this link too)

Blackstar HT-20
20 watts
$499
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbqhIfDSx_w

Just what I can think of off the top of my head.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Last edited by mogar at May 19, 2010,
Just over a grand is the Dr Z Maz 18 Jr.

Low watts, can get it in a head, FX loop standard in the non-reverb model, does cleans, blues, and rock...

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/
Is where I ordered mine from. Click the Z on the site to see all the Dr's stuff.
Egnator Tweaker
Ceriatone 18 TMB
Peavey Classic 30
Jet City JCA20
THD Univalve (if you get a killer deal)
Peavey JSX or XXX
Mesa F-30
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Vox AC30
Mesa Transatlantic
Crate V16
Last edited by acdcrocks0323 at May 19, 2010,
How about a Jet City JCA50 head or combo?
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
@Mogar:

Mesa TA-15: Very nice sounding amp! I've looked at it a bit, and that was arguably one of the finer reviews I've heard! Definitely a choice.

Blackstar HT-20: Also heard nice things about this. What is the main difference from the HT-5, other than wattage? I couldn't quite find one.
-----
@Burst

Dr Z: I looked it up... Probably just a LITTLE too low gain for me... On the other hand, it sounded very nice! I'm a bit of a knob geek; I love having crap to play with. It's a bit low of features (though high on tone... Maybe with a small OD?)
-----
@ACDC

I've looked at most of those... I'll look at F-30. The Ceriatone was good, if maybe a bit low gain/needing to be maxed out. I didn't love the JCA20, actually. For this price range, I'd sooner just grab a Soldano astroverb, I guess. I looked at the univalve too, but didn't really like it. Peavey classic is decent, but I think I can get better in this price. Tweaker is very interesting too, but same as the above. Crate is the same. Vox AC30, I've actually never really looked at! Same to the traynor
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Soldano Atomic 16.
Soldano Astroverb.
Marshall Studio 15.
Budda Superdrive 18.
Mesa Transatlantic.
Mesa Studio Caliber.
Jet City Amps JCA20
Maybe a Mesa Express 5:25?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Mesa Boogie Stilleto Stage II, Budda SD, Mesa Mark III, Fuchs, Dr Z. etc etc.
Quote by Hellboy
How about a Jet City JCA50 head or combo?

Definately on my must watch list.
Is the head even out yet?
Traynor YCS 50 combo. Do it nowwww.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Everything that has been listed is amazing. Thank you all. I will reward GG&A with the most soul-crushing story about luck ever, within a few weeks, once I've got pictures.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Ceriatone 18 TMB

Don't forget the 20W Lead/Bass.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by AcousticMirror
REASON BAMBINO

/thread.
thank me later.

Ya know, I've actually looked at that amp... It's interesting, to say the least. Personal opinions?
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Quote by Phantom123
Ya know, I've actually looked at that amp... It's interesting, to say the least. Personal opinions?

it's awesome. I want one. 2/8 watt mode. Headphone out with emulated cab. Direct line out. Cascade gain stage. 700 bucks. All handwired in the United States. NOS 6aq5s are cheap as heck. They sound great. They work great. 2 watt for home use. 8 watt to mic up for gigs.

If I had room for another amp I'd buy it in a second.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
it's awesome. I want one. 2/8 watt mode. Headphone out with emulated cab. Direct line out. Cascade gain stage. 700 bucks. All handwired in the United States. NOS 6aq5s are cheap as heck. They sound great. They work great. 2 watt for home use. 8 watt to mic up for gigs.

If I had room for another amp I'd buy it in a second.

Well, I'm gonna trust your opinion. Lord knows you ought to have had enough experience!

Here's my current running list of opinions, people. Feel free to comment/recommend, since it keeps me from having to post more threads :P One ninety post thread is better than ten nine post threads!
----
Blackstar HT-5: Sounds good. Appeal is that, for the price, I may also grab some decent pedals... Not sure if I wanna bother with pedals though, so obviously, this is a 50/50 gander at best.

Reason Bambino: Looks great! I can't try it, but the review AM gave was glowing, and it sounded good enough in videos...

Soldano Astroverb 16: I've kinda toyed with this one for a while. I really like the tone. I'd love a review or some opinions.

Fargen Mini plex mark 2: About 500 dollars too much, but otherwise, likely perfect. I could get those 500 dollars, I just can't guarantee it (nor do I feel like doing that scale of gig atm. I wanted to take the summer before college off, but this is quite appetizing, so maybe I'll do a few extra shows... Hmm... Opinions?)

Mesa TA-15: On one hand, it's great; good tone, great features, and immensely portable (which is big for me). Something about it irks me, though, and I have no idea what... Hell, it might just be the name. Is there a reasons I SHOULDN'T want this amp? Everything sounds a bit too good to be true of a 900$ amp *new*. Where's the catch, if there is one?)

Fargen olde 800 + Soldano hot mod optional: Man, this is just a case where the price is good. 1,000$ for it, but it might be a bit loud... Should I care? I mean, tonewise, this is EXACTLY what I'd want, and then some. However, it's either 25 or 50 watts at lowest, and 50 or 100 at highest (I forget). This weighs on me heavily, for god knows why.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Mesa Electra-Dyne, get one used in a month or two when there are more on the market. Came out a little over a year ago I think. They are amazing in pretty much every way, especially for what you described. It only power scales from 45-90 watts but it still sounds great at bedroom volumes. I would highly recommend it.
With all the other options here...unless you really only want to spend the cost of the ht5 I'd stay away from it. You've got op amps in the signal chain, you've got a cluster **** of a pcb board, you've got a 12bh7 as an output tube. Lot's of issues.

The Reason is 300 more, made in the US, all handwired with quality components, has the exact same number of options as the bt5, runs 2 true output tubes even though they aren't commonly used but they are still cheap. It has a true cascade pre-amp gain and an internal load so you can run it with headphones and no speaker.

Though, if you're not into metal I would say look at the Jet City Picovalve, or the THD Univalve for some versatile options. The Univalve can be had for 500 used, the Bivalve for about 800. Great versatility.

The TA looks nice, but at the end of the day it's gonna sound sound like a Mesa. If you like that then go for it.

Obviously saving up some more money and getting the Miniplex would be money.

Like imo...you'll definitely outgrow the bt5. You might outgrow a univalve or a bivalve. You might outgrow the Bambino but it's versatility and functionality means that you'll always have a use for it...if only as a headphone amp.

You might Gas out of the miniplex once you hear the tones that level of amps offers you but at least you'll be in a better place.
Quote by AcousticMirror
With all the other options here...unless you really only want to spend the cost of the ht5 I'd stay away from it. You've got op amps in the signal chain, you've got a cluster **** of a pcb board, you've got a 12bh7 as an output tube. Lot's of issues.

The Reason is 300 more, made in the US, all handwired with quality components, has the exact same number of options as the bt5, runs 2 true output tubes even though they aren't commonly used but they are still cheap. It has a true cascade pre-amp gain and an internal load so you can run it with headphones and no speaker.

Though, if you're not into metal I would say look at the Jet City Picovalve, or the THD Univalve for some versatile options. The Univalve can be had for 500 used, the Bivalve for about 800. Great versatility.

The TA looks nice, but at the end of the day it's gonna sound sound like a Mesa. If you like that then go for it.

Obviously saving up some more money and getting the Miniplex would be money.

Like imo...you'll definitely outgrow the bt5. You might outgrow a univalve or a bivalve. You might outgrow the Bambino but it's versatility and functionality means that you'll always have a use for it...if only as a headphone amp.

You might Gas out of the miniplex once you hear the tones that level of amps offers you but at least you'll be in a better place.

Thanks a load. Any comment on that soldano? It's probably the one I'm strong about at the moment. It'd cost around 750$, where as the olde 800 would cost 1,000. I've decided I don't mind the excess wattage on the olde 800, and that I'll just grin and bear it. Of those two, what do you think you'd say?
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Don't forget the Budda Superdrive. Smooooth amps.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Man, I totally forgot the superdrive. Yeah, it's between those three.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
I never looked into the astroverb 16. I can't imagine it would be a bad amp but I go to Mike for high wattage gain heads...It always seemed to me that astroverb was a little out of place. I'm sure it would sound good but you can get a soldano avenger for 1000 so I never considered the verb.

Wattage isn't an indicator of anything past a certain point.
Just decide what you want to be able to access. More power tube distortion or more preamp distortion. If you want more power tube distortion go with the miniplex or the reason. Anything over like 5 watts without attenuation is going make it difficult for you unless you can practice loud.

edit: on the cleans you want british cleans over fender cleans?
Last edited by AcousticMirror at May 20, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
this thing is cool

http://eddiesguitars.com/products/victoria-vic105-50-cal-ammo-can-amplifier

so is this...

http://www.vvtamps.com/music.htm

probably the cheapest dumble style circuit you can find. I love dumble circuits.

I've actually never cared specifically for or against Dumble. Too many over-charged electrons hitting the crystal lattices at the core spectralminium for me to appreciate the tone. Dude needs to work on that.

I know that wattage tends not to matter after a point, but I prefer the power tube distortion when possible, and in most cases, I prefer the literal amps. I would actually rather the tone on an astroverb than on an avenger (unless avengers really sound like SLO's, which I'd doubt... Never tried 'em). You get something from a small amp that a big one won't quite do... The higher effort required to run at the same level increases the quality of tone, in my opinion. Or, as Dumble might say, the crystal lattices align perfectly with the moonlight to create a quantum 'moonleap' in the tone-to-circumference ration, thus raising quantity of "tone-ites"
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
yes so get a smaller amp.
The dumble circuit actually sounds pretty amazing. give it a try if you get a chance. fuchs ods, vvt xdrive, tworock, carolann, bludotone. It's not laid out like a marshall vox fender at all.
Quote by AcousticMirror
yes so get a smaller amp.
The dumble circuit actually sounds pretty amazing. give it a try if you get a chance. fuchs ods, vvt xdrive, tworock, carolann, bludotone. It's not laid out like a marshall vox fender at all.

Man, I'd try 'em if I could! I'm not in what you'd call a musically stocked area. The closest we've ever gotten to success is that ZZ Top came from a bit away from here, and originally recorded here. Not much in the ways of music stores though. Surprising number of studios, but no stores... The biggest one only stocks Gibson, epiphone, ibanez, Fender, and yamaha, plus some acoustics. The only other guitar seller only stocks Jacksons and ibanez. And in amps, we have one local dealer who has marshalls. The rest are all line 6s, lower peaveys, and the rare fender. That's it =P And for pedals, you can forget it. I saw an EVH phaser once. It was gone the day after. That was all.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
It looks interesting, but the MV is kinda big. As much as I hate to say it, I'm gonna have to look at something other than the fuchs, because where I'm using it, I'll need a MV a fair bit of time *Even if it costs tone-suckage*
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
i just remembered that on the fuchs, the tone stack acts as gain boosts as well. but ya something with a dedicated mv is better for you.
How much gain can I get out of an astroverb? Same for a superdrive 18. I know the Mesa has plenty.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic